The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
heat sensitivity of ovation bowls.

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

musicamex
Posted 2002-03-24 1:26 PM (#223552)
Subject: heat sensitivity of ovation bowls.

cwk2 mentioned reshaping the neck connection on the cloth composite bowls by heating the bowl and bending the neck down till the bowl cools. has this happened to anyone by accident say in a closed up hot car or accidental placement near a heat source?

is a heat gun sufficient for this bill. my old 76 balladeer is a bit misshapen around the neck connection and the previous owner said he left it out of the case all most all of its life. the sun on that black back day after day might be the culprit. i have the action where i want it but there is a considerable rake in the neck from 14 to the sound hole. if i have to adjust it again i might consider the heating route. anybody got any advise?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Harold_P
Posted 2002-03-24 2:33 PM (#223553 - in reply to #223552)
Subject: Re: heat sensitivity of ovation bowls.

I am not familiar with all of the composites used in the bowl. My Ovation has that fiberglass smell even after 20 some years, which is a polyester resin and a thermosetting plastic. It will not respond to heat for reshaping.

Any ideas on how to get rid of the smell? I used to build fiberglass boats, maybe the smell is in me!
musicamex
Posted 2002-03-24 3:08 PM (#223554 - in reply to #223552)
Subject: Re: heat sensitivity of ovation bowls.

you are a boatbuilder too harold? i know what you mean about developing a sensitivity to resins and boatbuilding chemicals. i have to be very careful with epoxy these days. i was too careless in the past, and am paying for it now. my last one was aluminum, but i have an ed monk designed 30' sloop i'm working on poco a poco.

my 76 balladeer has the cloth bowl and i have no grp smell. same with my 1882-8, but i think it has the later style bowl. my only suggestion is to eat allot of smoked fish and kim chee before you open the case. lol

is this a common observation? russ
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)