The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
new ovation co. website, white guitars

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

old 12-bar
Posted 2002-03-26 12:24 PM (#223501)
Subject: new ovation co. website, white guitars

Has anyone else checked out the new (to me) website? I noticed that the 2002 Melissa Ethridge 6-string comes in pearl white. That is a color that has been absent from the product line for a while. My white 1868 elite isn't really white anymore, it has aged to more of an ivory (I like it but I still try to keep it out of the light as much as possible). Have any of you experienced this tendency of white paint to turn yellow with age? I've got a Fender flat-top that's done the same thing.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
musicamex
Posted 2002-03-26 1:12 PM (#223502 - in reply to #223501)
Subject: Re: new ovation co. website, white guitars

what is the address of the site you are referring to?

white guitars do seem to gain an ivory patina over the years. so does white binding. i play with a guy at one of the clubs i play in that has an old telecaster that looks like french vanilla ice cream from decades of smokey bars and aging. he has owned from day one and claims it was white when he bought it-------should have brushed with colgate i guess. i like how it looks myself even though i'm not a tele fan.
phaseshift
Posted 2002-03-26 2:35 PM (#223503 - in reply to #223501)

That would be www.adamasguitars.com/ , which has been saying a new web site is coming soon for some time now.
alpep
Posted 2002-03-26 3:02 PM (#223504 - in reply to #223501)

the white melissa 6 string in new in the adamas line for this year I saw and played it at the namm show I liked it especially the epaulets.
as for the website.....the guys on the Hamer board have been complaining about the lack of updates on the official sites seems like more info is out there on the unofficial sites like ours
musicamex
Posted 2002-03-26 5:53 PM (#223505 - in reply to #223501)

just checked out the adamas site. computer cool, but i've learned 10 times as much about adamas (and how to say it) right here. maybe they will add some "beef" as the site developes, but if i have a question, i know where to come.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2002-03-26 6:36 PM (#223506 - in reply to #223501)

Russ: I've spent some time looking at the Ovation and Adamas websites. There seems to be an effort made to look "cool", but I don't think they were done by guitar guys. They just don't have that elusive "I know what you are looking for because I am one of you" feel to them.
Beal
Posted 2002-03-26 7:52 PM (#223507 - in reply to #223501)

moodypi, Frank and Jol and I called it "it" if you understood it you didn't need it explained. If you needed it explained you could never understand.

Big companys can't move as fast as the small sites. Too many approvals needed. In their defence(is Bloomfield and New Hartford watching, I'm saying something nice)there are too many #1 priorities that need attention NOW. updating the web site is always lower on the list, as it probably should be. Some farm out the work but those firms are swamped too so.;.....

The best is sites like this, ask the question, get the answer, debate it a little, decide and move on.
Too much free energy here for a corporation to deal with, it just won't work. So don't get mad at them, it's not their fault They just don't get "IT"

[ March 28, 2002: Message edited by: cwk2 ]
Beal
Posted 2002-03-26 8:10 PM (#223508 - in reply to #223501)

Aside from all of this I always felt that an "aged" white guitar had more soul that a brand spankin new lookin one. I had an ES 347 natural I leaft on a stand in a widner for about 9 months and it was really nice and yellowed when it was done. White ages nicely, let it.
Pete
Posted 2002-03-26 8:44 PM (#223509 - in reply to #223501)

Well, I came across that site today as the result of a search (didn't know it was a new one) looking for information on Collector Series history and information. You have to understand Ovation is in the business of selling guitars, not making guitar players...so the site is probably maintained by markerteers with technical input. Anyway, it had a contact email address so I asked a question. Right away received an automated response - with promise to answer in a few days. Question was: Do you have any information on my model and can/where do I obtain parts. Will let you know what happens.
Nils
Posted 2002-03-26 9:37 PM (#223510 - in reply to #223501)

If the final finish on these guitars was clear lacquer, & it probably was, that is most likely what has yellowed. I've spent that last 33 years working in various body shops & clear lacquer eventually yellows with age. It does the same thing on cars. It yellows over any color, but it's more noticeable over white.

Great site, btw. I found Matt Smith through ovation.com & he steered me here.

Nils
musicamex
Posted 2002-03-27 9:13 AM (#223511 - in reply to #223501)

i guess in defense of those corporate websites, we have 130 enthusiastic workers here at the fan club and i imagine the guy(s) running the company websites could never have the collective knowledge found here, allot from guys who were in the trenches and who have far better collections than the corporation would even consider storing or displaying.

i have noticed that requests for historical information often go unanswered. the requests for parts or repairs are promptly answered. i am still waiting for an answer regarding ukII production info i sent to ovation 2 weeks ago. my request costs them money to answer with little obvious likelyhood of generatting cash. i hope they eventually answer, but will understand if they dont. they have been prompt and courteous when i have requested parts or repair quotes/advise. thank goodness for this fan club site!!! so far you guys have answered all of my questions but the one regarding the 1982-b collectors series straight acoustic. maybe i have my first "rare" ovation.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2002-03-27 11:54 AM (#223512 - in reply to #223501)

As far as spares go, Ovation's customer service is superb. I needed a few parts for an OP24 preamp. Andy Schlosser at the International Sales Division got them to the UK within a couple of days of my email.
Gary(Uk)
Posted 2002-03-27 2:12 PM (#223513 - in reply to #223501)

Mex, i got the same prob with Ovation Co, i sent about 2 weeks ago a question just asking how many Milenniums were made,got a prompt, Yeah we got your enquiry, a reply will follow soon, i even told them i was buying a new one from a dealer, they still aint answered yet! Worse than my company on email replies, and thats saying something!
alpep
Posted 2002-03-27 5:34 PM (#223514 - in reply to #223501)

In regards to the UK II production totals I am positive that you did not get an answer because no one really knows. The guitar is around 25 years old and probably the records are lost or not easily accessible. let's face it gang the model did not really take off or they would still be making them. I think the best resource we have for the production numbers lie in the memory of cwk2. Well that is where I would put my money anyway....
phaseshift
Posted 2002-03-27 11:15 PM (#223515 - in reply to #223501)

Gary, if they ever do give you info on the Millenneums (or should I say Millennia?), please pass it on to me.
Beal
Posted 2002-03-28 8:14 AM (#223516 - in reply to #223501)

I don't know the UK2 totals, That's why I suggested asking the factory for the info. Keep askin them.
The finish is not laquer, it's a poly-ester/urethane mix but it does yellow some with age.
They may have switched to a different finish now, it's been a few years since I was there.
musicamex
Posted 2002-03-28 12:20 PM (#223517 - in reply to #223501)

that finish is some tough stuff bill. i read a post that compared it with the fired on surface of a kitchen sink. i will resend my request to ovation for production figures. it isn't that important, but i am curious about this model as it my favorite electric.
Gary(Uk)
Posted 2002-03-28 2:15 PM (#223518 - in reply to #223501)

Phase, im also trying to get copies of the original Mill promo material, ill keep ya posted on this one.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)