The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
my one hundredth post

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

musicamex
Posted 2002-03-26 1:54 PM (#223479)
Subject: my one hundredth post

i promised in another thread to make my 100th post worth reading. i'd first like to express my gratitude to all of my new amigos on the ovation fan club site for all of the help in answering my varied questions. i have a long way to go in my learning about some of the fantastic and practical instruments ovation made and continues to make. and which ones have become ovations economy line. on this site learning is fun. somehow, though i have never met any of you in person, i feel like i know some of you already.

on an individual basis i would like to extend an invitation to fan club members to visit me in puerto vallarta and play music in the several local clubs with us, or to just come and jam here at my place. this is a fantastic place to escape the cold winters, and knowing the ropes can make it even better.

on a collective basis, if the fan club ever considers an ovation pow wow, you can put my place on the list. i would be happy to co-ordinate whatever is necessary on this end. my wife kathleen and i have a track record of putting together workshops for artist blacksmiths and have several connections in our area to make it work.

in the mean time come on down and do a little pickin', a little fishin', and allot of grinnin'.

mi casa tu casa----------russell swider
Top of the page Bottom of the page
phaseshift
Posted 2002-03-26 2:39 PM (#223480 - in reply to #223479)
Subject: Re: my one hundredth post

Very nice, Russ. However, it seems to be your 101st post! (For those of you in the US old enough to remember cigarette commercials on TV, start humming the "a silly millimeter longer, 101" theme.)

[ March 26, 2002: Message edited by: phaseshift ]
musicamex
Posted 2002-03-26 5:13 PM (#223481 - in reply to #223479)

so much for a minor in math!!!!!!!

a quick edit----phaseshift, i posted something after my hundredth post so the total shows but not the number of the actual post. it should say 102 or higher by the time you read this.
if you are wondering why a guy who joined about two weeks ago has posted so much read on.
i have allot of time on my hands right now as i broke my tallus and have been spending my time sitting in front of the computer or on a stool playing at the club. in a way it's nice,as i have lots of volunteer roadies, and even get picked up at my door on gig nights even though the club is a block away. a guy could get used to this----------

[ March 26, 2002: Message edited by: musicamex ]
alpep
Posted 2002-03-26 5:55 PM (#223482 - in reply to #223479)

Hey Russ
thanks for the kind words about the site. Miles and I have lots of plans and hope to see this site grow. In fact I for one am surprised at how quickly it caught on. There are many good folks here with good info. sometimes we mess up but that is ok another corrects us and we move on. The most important thing is that we all have a place to come and hang out and talk about guitars that we like without the usual BS you may hear about ovations. We are here because we like them case closed.
As for your invite I for one have never been to Mexico and have probably learned all my facts about mexico from old cheech and chong movies and some of the illegal aliens that I used to teach english. So be careful what you wish for......

Out of curiosity what type of music do you play?
I love fishing but do far too little of it....I also have a cousin in CA that I could avoid again too. so fire up that caddoo cwk2 I feel a road trip coming on....
musicamex
Posted 2002-03-26 7:04 PM (#223483 - in reply to #223479)

alex, like willie nelson said "the life i love is makin' music with my friends". i am very careful what i wish for and if i get my way it will include lots of the above.

we play a pretty wide variety of music here, allot is original and allot is classic early rock and rockabilly from the 50's and 60's. we like to get musicians in the audience to participate so we have plenty of simple stuff to encourage them to get under the lights. except for the original stuff by some talented local musicians it's nostalgic stuff that makes you want to dance. throw in a little dylan, and james taylor to give the audience a chance to sit once in awhile and it's a successful formula. the crowd is mostly babyboomers,and the band has less hair collectively than one heavy metal guy. it's lots of fun and is almost always unpredictable. tonight for instance is jam night where anyone who wants to, can play with the band. last night was a beach party and half a dozen of us played to about 30 people unplugged around a big bon-fire. hot dogs marshmallows and plenty of beverages. the night before was my wifes birthday party with 7 hours of non stop live music,saturday was open mic at another place on the beach where i always do a set or two with my friends. the night before a local regaee group and the night before that open mic at the club (i play all night to accompany whoever needs it) and so on----------there is no shortage of opportunities to play here, and it couldn't be more laid back and friendly.

as to the fishing------that is my favorite daytime gig. the fishing is still pretty good here and there is a wide variety out there. last summer was excellent for huge yellowfin tuna and marlin. i fish for fish in the 5-50# range and almost always catch plenty. havent ever been skunked. if you make it down, i'll be sure you have photos to go with the "fish stories". i'll e mail you a couple of photos if you'd like.

well it's time to shower up for jam night. all the best to you. russ
Beal
Posted 2002-03-26 7:22 PM (#223484 - in reply to #223479)

Music, Fishing, all fun but there are some great golf courses!!! There are priorities in life after all.

Russ, is it true that manyana ( however you really spell it) doesn't really mean tomorrow?
It just means not today
musicamex
Posted 2002-03-26 7:30 PM (#223485 - in reply to #223479)

you're right on both counts bill. lots of room for golf clubs in that cavernous caddy trunk.

manana is sometime in the future and believe me that is how things work here no matter how much it used to bug me. now i just flow with it.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2002-03-26 7:34 PM (#223486 - in reply to #223479)

A friend of mine, who is also a notorious bar-room philosopher, once said to me "I hate that word 'Manyana', it has such a sense of urgency" Needless to say he was a bass player.

Paul
musicamex
Posted 2002-03-27 10:59 AM (#223487 - in reply to #223479)

the sense of time here is so different from what i remember in the states that most people here on vacation never get used to it in the short time they are here. people don't have heart attacks here like in the states, because they refuse to feel pressured by anything. many have little in the way of possessions (20 families could support themselves with the tools i have for my hobbies)and live hand to mouth and day to day. but i have never lived amongst happier, more friendly, and generous people.

we used to travel way off the beaten track down here, and without exception were welcomed, fed and helped often beyond their means by the mexican people. my wife can walk the streets here at midnight without fear. crime here is petty theft often to buy food, but crimes of violence are rare. and the young adults are friendly and respectful. don't get me wrong. i am a proud american and realize that the american system is what makes my current fun lifestyle possible.

a more well to do family was in the club last night, from guadalajara, about a dozen of them, on vacation for easter week. they danced and laughed all night, grandpa down to a baby in a carrier, till we closed. they came up to the band as we were packing up and asked when we played next. they then extended an invitaton (100% sincere) to stay with them at their house in guadalajara whenever we were there. i would love to do that but two of the daughters were so drop dead gorgeous that i lost track of what i was playing and switched keys for a couple of bars when they were dancing in front of the stage. too much temptation for a married man on a road trip. if they come back on thursday i'll wear dark sunglasses.
cliff
Posted 2002-03-27 11:19 AM (#223488 - in reply to #223479)

I hope you're not considering using the dark glasses as "blinders", 'cause it don't work!

Under the "lights", the only thing they'll do is enable you to hide where you're eyes are actually looking - unless that's of course you're game plan!

(I've been doing it for years!)
musicamex
Posted 2002-03-27 11:59 AM (#223489 - in reply to #223479)

i'll use the sunglasses during the no brainer three cord progressions, and watch my ovation for the complicated stuff.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2002-03-27 12:43 PM (#223490 - in reply to #223479)

Russ:
You're a kick in the pants. Only two things keep me from grabbing my wife and coming down. First, I want to wait til the kids are a little older so I don't have to keep track of them. Second, I'm scared that I might never come home. Sounds like paradise.
Paul
musicamex
Posted 2002-03-27 2:00 PM (#223491 - in reply to #223479)

paul,this is a great place for kids. our first trip to guatemala in 1976 was with our 5 year old son. his son, our grandson, spent the summer with us when he was six. been back every year since at least once. he always says grandpa, cant i stay here? this place is great for kids of all ages up to mid 80s. i hope i never grow up what ever that means. so start showing the kids books and i'll coach you on the best times of the year to come. stay in touch amigo. there must be something down here you could investigate. and LOTS of music.

well off to band practice-------the coach is going to make me run laps for what i did last night.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)