The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
97 Collectors

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

moody, p.i.
Posted 2002-03-27 11:29 PM (#223447)
Subject: 97 Collectors

The one Ovation I don't own (actually, there are a lot) but always kinda lusted over was the 1997 Collectors. It was the parlor size guitar. I wasn't enamored with the controls on it, but thought the guitar itself was neat. Anybody have one? Anybody have any thoughts on it?
Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paul Templeman
Posted 2002-03-28 5:21 AM (#223448 - in reply to #223447)
Subject: Re: 97 Collectors

I had one for a while, but sold it because I have too many & it was the one I needed least. Completely different sound to the larger bodies which I suppose was the point. KInd of harks back to the Josh White/Folklore models with the wide neck option. Typical Parlour midrange honk, if a little over-bright, great for fingerstyle blues & silde. It's a pretty little guitar, the inlaid rosette is a nice touch. The touch sensitive control stikes me as one of those "because we can" type of things, that isn't actually as practical as it may seem (no visual reference of volume setting)& I personally hate endpin jack-outputs. The guitar came in a really good-quality wooden case. Overall I think it's one of the most imaginative collectors editions, though probably of limited appeal. Come to think of it I wish I still had it. I've noticed that for a collectors edition, they are going for suprisingly low prices in the UK. I'm not keen on the version with the Adamas-style soundholes.

Paul
old 12-bar
Posted 2002-03-28 6:20 AM (#223449 - in reply to #223447)

Recently there were three of these on E-Bay. One was sold (I think it went for around $650.00), another's reserve was never met even after two go-arounds and the third was pulled. There are interesting rave reviews of them by their owners, on Harmony.com. I had an opportunity to buy one new about four years ago. (why do guitar deals always seem to present themselves in groups?) I wanted it but I had already bought a '96 collector. But I thought it was a great sounding instrument. I've got a look-out for one of these on this site's "for sale" board.
old 12-bar
Posted 2002-03-28 6:50 AM (#223450 - in reply to #223447)

Please allow me to give the corrrect web site address for those consumer reviews. It's www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data4/ovation.
Beal
Posted 2002-03-28 7:55 AM (#223451 - in reply to #223447)

I always thought that the collectors series should be the place to really take chances. Try really different things. What's the worst that could happen? Have a failure? In time that would become the most sought after guitar. But anyway...
The Parlor was a nice little guitar. The touch electronics were exactly what you said, because it could be done. I always wondered what would happen if a large woman was playing the guitar, would it go to full volume on it's own? Would it change on its own as she moved the guitar around? These were experiments that never were completed before production started, a pity that.
alpep
Posted 2002-03-28 8:49 AM (#223452 - in reply to #223447)

cwk2
Where are those Wilson sisters when you need them?????
moody, p.i.
Posted 2002-03-28 8:56 AM (#223453 - in reply to #223447)

Be nice now Alpep. Altho' strictly for testing, if they wanted to help out, I'd be interested in watching. Just for the experimental value.
Actually, I've always thought that the touch controls were one of the weakest parts of that guitar. How do you know where your setting is? And no eq or tone control. It's bad enough that I've got to use an eq box on my old Elite and Country Artist. I'd hate to have to use one on a modern guitar (but I would if I ever bought one.
cwk2, how's that old bassett hound from the picture in the cataglog?
alpep
Posted 2002-03-28 9:21 AM (#223454 - in reply to #223447)

Paul
I am sorry but every time I listen to Nancy Wilson's live at mc cabe's guitar shop CD I only wonder what it would sound like with an old adamas in her hands.....
but I agree as strictly a laboratory experiment in a controlled environment the testing could take place.
I agree on the electronics being the week link on that guitar Otherwise good idea unique sound and overall interesting. I always wondered how do you change settings in the dark on stage?
phaseshift
Posted 2002-03-28 9:29 AM (#223455 - in reply to #223447)

Correction on that correction; it's http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data4/Ovation/ . Apparently, the harmony-central server is touchy about case, and wants a capital O on Ovation.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2002-03-28 10:08 AM (#223456 - in reply to #223447)

Alpep:
I agree on the McCabe's recording. I was listening to it in the car this week.
I agree on "how do you see where you are in the dark". Even with my Country Artist, I've used a little bit of White Out to mark the 0 and 8 settings on the volume so I can see it easily.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)