The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
CC057 Action Question

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

Ohhhvation
Posted 2002-03-31 12:27 AM (#223358)
Subject: CC057 Action Question

Forgive me if this is a subject beaten into the ground--and for the length of it-
I'll start with my story- I fell in love with my CC057 (six-string celebrity super shallow roundback) the second I played it in the store, shelled out my last few hundred dollars for it, and have cherished it since. Recently my brother has been learning the guitar, and I loaned him my electric for a few months. Although my life has been relatively complete with my Ovation, I missed my electric and didn't want to leave my brother without a guitar. I know, Uh-oh, bad idea. Anyways, I loaned him my Ovation for about a month, and amazingly enough, he didn't get a scratch on it. The only problem is the action is now quite high. When I first bought it, I removed a spacer from under the saddle to put the action nice and low how I like it. Is it safe to assume that I need to relieve a little pressure on the truss rod? If so, would I turn the allen bolt to the left, or right? Secondly, should I smack my brother across the head, or is this a common occurence? (I've never owned an acoustic before) I try to store it the Ovation hard case that I bought with it, but my brother stored it on a hanger type stand near a window (no direct sunlight, but maybe some temperature and humidity change). I guess my main question would be, is this something a dummy like me should try adjusting, or should I leave it to a pro? Also, for future reference, should I try to always store it in it's case, or is the stand alright?

P.S. I have read through the other posts on adjustments.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
alpep
Posted 2002-03-31 5:33 AM (#223359 - in reply to #223358)
Subject: Re: CC057 Action Question

If you read through the adjustment post then you know that at times you may need to make them. If you feel capable do it if not take it to a competent repair man. I store some guitars on stands and some in cases it does not make that much diffeence if a neck is going to shift it will shift.
reread the adjustment post and go for it
Beal
Posted 2002-03-31 4:51 PM (#223360 - in reply to #223358)

It's been my experience that it is always good to smack your brother in the head from time to time. Of course, he might smack back and if he's bigger than you, well....
I think that to tighten the neck, add more bow(make it straighter) you go clockwise. To add more warp, counterclockwise. It's not overly complicated but if you want to be safe have someone you trust do it the first time and watch how it goes. Then you do it the second time.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2002-03-31 7:22 PM (#223361 - in reply to #223358)

If your're an only child like me, then smack anybody close by who looks like they wont fight back.
Ohhhvation
Posted 2002-04-02 7:09 PM (#223362 - in reply to #223358)

Thanks for the info, I'm normally a do-it yourselfer, but I'm kinda chicken with my new guitar. I'll try to talk the guy I'm takin' it to to show me what he does, so that I'm a little more confident myself. Oh, and I will smack my brother for good measure, I'm bigger than him anyways. I think once I get a scratch or two on the guitar, I'll be in do-it-myself mode.
:)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)