The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
consistency of sound

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

luthier444
Posted 2002-04-05 8:00 PM (#223239)
Subject: consistency of sound

One thing i have noticed among the many Ovations I have played. The sound of each is consistant to the next, More so to the newer ones.They sound really good from one to the next. I pick up a taylor and well that one sounds good , Ok that ones sounds like crud , Ok that one sounds better,.... They all sound so different and thats why I like Ovations period. And I dont have to adjust the neck every 2 days.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Nils
Posted 2002-04-05 10:16 PM (#223240 - in reply to #223239)
Subject: Re: consistency of sound

Speaking of adjusting necks- My CC255 12 string is *much* better since the luthier lowered the action, however, he told me he couldn't lower it as much as he wanted to because of the angle of the neck to the body of the guitar. The neck itself is straight, but if you put a straight edge down it it lines up below the saddle. The saddle can't be lowered any more because the strings wouldn't be making good contact with it, they'd be going straight, especially the little "E" strings. What does it take to change the angle of the neck to the body? I assume this isn't something that can be easily adjusted with the truss rod or he would have done it. Should I check with another luthier? Would it be worth the expense if it can be done? If these are stupid questions it won't be the first ones I've ever asked. :)
Thanks,
Nils
alpep
Posted 2002-04-06 4:41 AM (#223241 - in reply to #223239)

I don't know if it would be worth doing on a celebrity. On a usa model you just pop the fingerboard from the body and 2 bolts and the neck is off. the process is not that easy on the celebrities.
musicamex
Posted 2002-04-06 11:06 AM (#223242 - in reply to #223239)

al, i have never removed the neck from an acoustic guitar. just electric guitars. when you say pop off the fingerboard could you explain this process in more detail. also once you have the neck adjusted what glues etc are best to reset or reattach the fretboard?
alpep
Posted 2002-04-06 4:52 PM (#223243 - in reply to #223239)

Well I would not try it with a celebrity. I am not real sure how the neck is set on that guitar On a USA ovation what I mean by pop off the fingerboard is that the lower part of the fingerbard is glued to the top of the guitar so you would need to heat it with a heat gun and work it off with a putty knife. You can damage the finish doing this but I have seen some come off pretty clean. then all you do is unbolt the neck for a celebrity the process not the same.
Beal
Posted 2002-04-07 11:41 AM (#223244 - in reply to #223239)

The US guitars are bolted but the f/b are glued. The imports I think are all glued. I wouldn't try taking one off either US or import. Send it to someone who is set up to do this or the factory. It ain't like a strat!
musicamex
Posted 2002-04-07 11:50 AM (#223245 - in reply to #223239)

just in time!! i had just unrolled the hoses to the oxy acetylene torch and sharpened my boat slick. too many years in the smithy i guess.
Nils
Posted 2002-04-08 12:33 AM (#223246 - in reply to #223239)

Thanks for all the info. I think I'll just play it & start saving my nickles for an American made 12 down the road.
Btw, I watched a Glenn Campbell special on Larry King a while ago. Lots of pix of him playing/holding Ovation guitars. Pretty good show, but every time I watch him I find myself wishing he'd play more & sing less :)

Nils

[ April 08, 2002: Message edited by: Nils ]
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)