The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Is it my ears?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

Gary(Uk)
Posted 2002-04-15 1:42 PM (#223131 - in reply to #223106)
Subject: Re: Is it my ears?

Being an engineer, i found some magic engine lube additive that works on polymer molecular cohesion principle, its not Slick 50 ,its a lot better,i use in my own cars,im trying this out myself on my strings, as i have also what they call in the trade "Rusty fingers" If you pick up a freshly machined lump of steel, after an hour you can see your finger prints in rust!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
cliff
Posted 2002-04-15 2:04 PM (#223132 - in reply to #223106)

I have that same "rancidity" in my body chemistry as well!

I've tried both the the Elixers and the EXPs and I really wasn't real happy w/'em.

Granted, they seemed to "last" a little longer, but I wasn't overly happy with their "sound".

They just didn't have that bell-like "ringing" sound that I like. (But again, that's just "me")

I wasn't real thrilled with the way they "felt" on my fingers. Kinda like playing guitar while wearing a condom. - I'll leave it at that.
musicamex
Posted 2002-04-15 3:15 PM (#223133 - in reply to #223106)

have you noticed elixers get fuzzy in the pick area for the first few days? i thought it was my less than stellar close up vision, but with a jewelers loupe you can see the effect of the pick. after a week of playing the coating (or lack of it) in the pick area seems to smooth out.

i have used a silicone based spray with teflon on my strings and fretboard for several years. there are several made for marine use. it also comes looking like vaseline, aka petrolatum. once you get a small lint proof cloth impregnated with it, you can keep it in a ziplock in your case, and a quick wipe is all it takes.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2002-04-15 10:34 PM (#223134 - in reply to #223106)

Russ:
I put Elixers on my 6 and 12 strings and love them. Yeah, they seem to fray in the area where the pick wears thru the coating. It's a very strange thing to see. They also discolor there and where major chords are played in the first few frets. But as long as they sound good....
Oddly enough, on the last set I had, they didn't go dead, but they seemed to loose their tone. They ended up with no warmth in them, just kinda brassy sounding. It was time to clean up the guitar and oil the fretboard anyway.
Paul
JT3
Posted 2002-04-15 11:46 PM (#223135 - in reply to #223106)

My favorite place to buy strings is musiciansfriend.com its hard to find better
strings at their price of single packages.
Their 6 sting Phosphor Bronze "Rogue" by Martin
are $2.49 for 1 set .. $3.99 for 12 strings.
and $2.19 for 80/20 All Bronze !!!! they are in
a pack with individual packs inside. They sound just about as good as any string i've tried.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com
musicamex
Posted 2002-04-16 10:43 AM (#223136 - in reply to #223106)

i'm getting ready to place an order for 72 sets from string this. what are you opinions of the differences between phosphor bronze and 80/20?? i haven't ever compared them on equal guitars side by side before. my feeling is that phosphor bronze sounds brighter. since i have favorite guitars that get regular string changes, what hangs in there best for ones not played as frequently? it seems some go dead with time rather than use.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2002-04-16 10:59 AM (#223137 - in reply to #223106)

Just tried a couple of sets of the D'Addario EXP's on my SMT & my '78 Adamas. I'm not impressed at all. While Elixirs sound "played-in" straight out of the box, these sound gutless & subdued. And I bought 20 sets!!!!! Bugger.

I've noticed the wear on the Elixir coating too, that only happens on the Polyweb version, they seem to have got rid of that problem on the Nanoweb strings.

Cliff, you put on a condom & then play your guitar????? Hmmm

[ April 16, 2002: Message edited by: Paul Templeman ]
Paul Templeman
Posted 2002-04-16 11:11 AM (#223138 - in reply to #223106)

Russ, this is fron the D'addario website, their explanation of the difference between bronze & phosphor bronze

Phosphor Bronze - D'Addario Phosphor Bronze acoustic guitar strings are legendary for their full, rich, acoustic tone. Phosphor bronze provides a warm, rich sound with solid tone.

80/20 Bronze - D'Addario 80/20 Bronze (also referred to as brass) acoustic guitar strings provide a brighter tone. 80/20 Bronze strings have great acoustic clarity coupled with a bright, loud tone.

The website is pretty good, with lots of useful info.

Paul

musicamex
Posted 2002-04-16 1:17 PM (#223139 - in reply to #223106)

thanks paul, i had it backwards. 80/20 is brighter. it used to be simple. brass was a copper zinc alloy and bronze was a copper tin alloy. now there is so much overlap i'm not sure what the criteria is. i suspect for the marine climate the phosphor bronze would hang in there better. do you notice a difference plugged in, which is at least 90% of what i do in a non practice situation?

does everyone still drink beer warm in the uk? i'll have to get in practice again. those single malts though-------do i remember some marathon dart games sipping glen moraine! absolutly impossible to find here in mexico.
Ron
Posted 2002-04-16 1:31 PM (#223140 - in reply to #223106)

That is correct. I live in south florida and there is definitly a difference when it is humid out. Not to mention your hands sweat like a pig. Just remember to bring a cloth out with you to wipe the strings and hands every now and again. I prefer to cool my hands around a nice cold beer when play outside.

Ron
Gary(Uk)
Posted 2002-04-16 3:41 PM (#223141 - in reply to #223106)

Mex, things have improved the last 25 to 30 years in the UK, we now serve Guiness chilled :cool:
But you still cant beat the taste of a nice brewed warm ale, ale is ale, its not beer as the rest of the world knows it, beer is now what is known as a lager or lager beer,a clear crisp liquid, a European thing,not British, which is all about brewing ales,ales are thick, brown, murky,nutty, liquids ,each with a special and particular taste and kick, theres probably thousands and thousands of different brewed ales across UK, its sounds disgusting to US citizens, but TBH our climate is cold so we drink warm beer to keep warm, simple really!
Jiminos
Posted 2002-04-16 3:56 PM (#223142 - in reply to #223106)

Guiness? Did somebody say Guiness? The only reason I started playing Irish music is because the pub where I hang out provides performers with free Guiness (served at room temp of course!) while yer palyin'.....
cliff
Posted 2002-04-16 3:57 PM (#223143 - in reply to #223106)

I'm a bit partial to Samuel Smith's "Nut Brown" myself,(when I'm not having a Boddington's).
Paul Templeman
Posted 2002-04-16 5:22 PM (#223144 - in reply to #223106)

Cask Ale should be served at cellar temperature, about 55 degrees, but that will be warm to US tastes. Any warmer than 55 & it tastes like minestrone, colder & it kills the flavour. Hang on , isn't this a guitar forum???????????????wasn't this thread about acoustics??? and strings??? Jesus, this is getting confusing.

Cliff, I'm impressed that you can find good old Sam Smiths in the USA, hunt out some Tim Taylor Landord, it's the finest, and most bitter Brit beer on the planet. Apparently there are a bunch of micro-brewers in the USA brewing in the British style.

It's amazing to think that we brew some of the best beers in the world over here, yet Bud (I'm referring to the great pretender, not Budvar) is a market leader. The bland leading the bland, methinks.

Paul

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)