The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Help! I Need Advice on Playing

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

sgfantod
Posted 2002-04-18 12:54 PM (#222977 - in reply to #222952)
Subject: Re: Help! I Need Advice on Playing

Thought you might like a progress report --

I've tried every chair and stool in the house, every strap length, etc. I think I managed to get poor Old Bessie into every position humanly possible, many of which were ridiculously unplayable. I think the stupidest was when she somehow ended up in front of me almost perpendicular to the floor. If I'd had a bow, she coulda been a cello, poor girl! :eek:

So, I've found a couple of things that seem to be pretty good. One way is to use a very low chair and push my feet back under it until I'm pretty much in the position I would be in one of those kneeling chairs. Then it works pretty much like standing up (using the strap, of course). The other way is with the guitar on my left knee but both feet flat on the ground, and with the nonslip net/mat stuff draped all the way across both legs, kinda like a really dorky apron. I don't think I could bring myself to do either of these in front of people! But I'm still experimenting and definitely thinking of buying a kneeling chair and/or an adjustable drafting/lab stool.

Meantime, I stupidly tried to do some weeding over the weekend and set my lower back aflame -- really really dumb of me, given my back problems. So right now there's no comfortable way to play (or do much else), so I'm limited to a few minutes at a time. On the other hand (that's the left one), it's a good way to keep me from doing too much damage to the blisters I've got on my "fretting" fingers. Guess I've been going a little overboard. :D

So the rest of you have to make up for my little setback by grabbing your guitars RIGHT NOW and playing up a storm.

--SGfantod

[ April 18, 2002: Message edited by: sgfantod ]
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)