The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
V/T V Fet 3 OP24 / OP24+ / OP24+C? OPTIMA/ HEXFX/ OP30/

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

luthier444
Posted 2002-04-12 7:42 PM (#222945)
Subject: V/T V Fet 3 OP24 / OP24+ / OP24+C? OPTIMA/ HEXFX/ OP30/

What are the Opinions on these electronics.. The OP30 is the new installed electronics.
OP40 and Op50.
Of cource like the old amps and guitars of the world. I always felt the old Volume electronics sound the best. BUT you have absolutely no control. The Notch filter on the Optima and I think the OP30 is invalueable. Feedback is thwe the plague that follows me. I was just curious.

Taylor electronics should be shot! No flames please
P50 are not out I dont think

[ April 13, 2002: Message edited by: luthier444 ]
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paul Templeman
Posted 2002-04-12 8:15 PM (#222946 - in reply to #222945)
Subject: Re: V/T V Fet 3 OP24 / OP24+ / OP24+C? OPTIMA/ HEXFX/ OP30/

Taylor electronics are made by Fishman who produce excellent pickups & preamps. A good pickup system can only reproduce what the guitar gives it. I have personally found the majority of Taylor guitars I've played & heard to be deeply uninspiring. As far as the Ovation pre's go the older ones require a little more effort & probably some outboards to get a decent sound, especially at high volume, I don't think they sound significantly different from the newer ones at a flat setting. The newer EQ's allow more onboard tone-shaping & the feedback notch on the Optima is superb. A second onboard notch would be great, one to zap the top resonance, the other for the air cavity resonance. Having said that, I'm quite happy to work with little or no onboard EQ & use higher quality & more powerful outboard
equipment. The coolest thing I've added to my live rig lately has been a Berhinger Shark. It's a compresser, low cut filter, noisegate & 12 extremely narrow-Q automatic feedback filters in a box about the size of 2 cigarette packs & costs around £50 in the UK. Instant acoustic guitar problem-solver. Check it out

http://www.behringer.com/02_products/prodindex.cfm?id=DSP110&lang=e...

Everyone who plays an electro-acoustic at more than polite volume should have one

[ April 12, 2002: Message edited by: Paul Templeman ]
luthier444
Posted 2002-04-12 8:43 PM (#222947 - in reply to #222945)

I personally love to the max Behringer mixers. Inexpensive and really useful.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I only said Taylor electronics because I have had to swap out a lot of them. There is a bug somewhere. I could put new ones in and those would be bad. ANNOYING

[ April 13, 2002: Message edited by: luthier444 ]
Paul Templeman
Posted 2002-04-13 5:36 AM (#222948 - in reply to #222945)

A friend of mine has sent back 3 new Taylors, all with string balance problems when plugged-in, down to how the pickup was installed at the factory.

[ April 13, 2002: Message edited by: Paul Templeman ]
moody, p.i.
Posted 2002-04-13 9:05 AM (#222949 - in reply to #222945)

From the link above, I took a look at the Behringer mixer. Pretty slick. How much they cost?
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2002-04-13 9:35 AM (#222950 - in reply to #222945)

You will be so happy with Behringer. If you check out my studio you will see I have a lot of Behringer gear. I don't personally have a mixer, but I have installed a few. The only reason I don't have one is a got a KILLER deal on an Allen and Heath board. The pre-amps are great, and most importantly... just in case you get a salesman that wants to well you a Mackie... tell'em to turn the lights down in the store and just "walk up to ANY Mackie and adjust the mid on channel 5." My point is you can't SEE a mackie board in the dim light, and the knobs are so tiny. The Behringer is easy to read in poor lighting and you can get a small one for about $150 bucks.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2002-04-13 11:50 AM (#222951 - in reply to #222945)

Berhinger gear is fantastic value, largely because they get everyone else to do their R&D for them (Oops, did I really say that? Seriously, Mackie sued them for millions for copyright infringements) I know from friends in the trade that there are reliability issues with certain products, but hey, they're cheap & work great most of the time. I've spent more money repairing a Drawmer Compressor than I did on a new Berhinger Multicom. The Studios I teach at have a lot of their stuff & it's fine (except the Composer Pro which IMHO sucks the life out of everything, even at ridiculously low threshold & ratio settings) I promote a few concerts in my area & lately I've been getting PA tech sheets through with "NO BERHINGER" scrawled accross them, which is a pure snobbery.

The mixers are amazing for the money, I use one of their little 4 channel jobbies in my acoustic instruments live-rig. Sounds great, very quiet pre's, & it cost less than £60

Paul

[ April 13, 2002: Message edited by: Paul Templeman ]
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)