The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Ovation Classical Guitar

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

Bradley
Posted 2002-04-14 10:21 PM (#222874)
Subject: Ovation Classical Guitar

Funny, I have a few 6-strings, 2 12-strings, and an UK-II eletric, but I've always liked the sound and feel of a classical guitar the best. My only classical broke many moons ago. I saw a Martin classical last year, but by the time I decided to get and AND had the money, it was gone (sad, it sounded great).

Since I'm a roundbacker at heart, I'm looking at Ovation classical's first. The problem is, I've never heard a good Ovation classical. The few I've played (and I don't konw what model numbers they were) did NOT impress me.

Any recomendations for a good Ovation classical???

Bradley
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Beal
Posted 2002-04-14 10:27 PM (#222875 - in reply to #222874)
Subject: Re: Ovation Classical Guitar

The nylon stringed Ovations were always more popular with the country and jazz players. Not sure what sound you're looking for, but for the true tutt-butt classical I don't think the roundback will get you there. Try a Tak, a wide range of models to choose from there and they all plug in too.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2002-04-14 10:48 PM (#222876 - in reply to #222874)

I've got two Ovation nylon strings, a full Classical, and a Country Artist. The Classical gives a good sound acoustically (maybe a bit colder than the Martin you played), and a fine sound plugged in. The Country Artist (vintage 1983) has an ok sound unplugged and a good sound plugged in, but it's an easier playing guitar (one of the best nylon strings I've ever played). The Ramirez Gypsy King nylon strings are popular right now, but unplugged, the C.A. has it beat, and plugged in it's right there.
Paul
musicamex
Posted 2002-04-15 2:05 PM (#222877 - in reply to #222874)

bradley, i have only played traditional classical guitars in the past and hardly ever now. i have never played an ovation with nylon strings. if you are looking for a straight acoustic classical guitar, some extreemly fine guitars are made in paracho michoacan here in mexico. guitars were being built here over 4 centuries ago and were an extension of a long spanish tradition. they arent good at steel string guitars but a fine guitar will cost you 1/3 of what an equivalent instrument would cost in the states.

if you have a trip planned to mexico we can put together a road trip to paracho and i will introduce you to the best shops. there are probably around 50 shops and a few hundred guitar makers in paracho. i have a rubio i bought in the early 80's with a lacewood body that is one hell of a guitar and a piece of fine craftsmanship. i think nylon strings respond best to extremely light construction.

so put "save cost of flight by buying guitar in mexico" on your list of reasons to check out this interesting part of the world.
luthier444
Posted 2002-04-15 4:57 PM (#222878 - in reply to #222874)

Its weird . I heard an album from Mark knofler playing an Ovation Classic and thought it was the best sounding guitar. I didnt know it was an Ovation when I heard it.. Maybe plugged in is the way to go. I know another guy who plays gigs in NY, And he said John Williams told him to buy an Ovation for live gigs. even string balance. :confused:

[ April 15, 2002: Message edited by: luthier444 ]
Paul Templeman
Posted 2002-04-15 5:04 PM (#222879 - in reply to #222874)

The Nylon version of the Viper (solid acoustic, not the older electric, obviously) is a stunning guitar. Best electro nylon sound I've heard. I don't think they're too common. Gotta have one.

Paul
moody, p.i.
Posted 2002-04-15 7:15 PM (#222880 - in reply to #222874)

Paul:
I've seen the nylon string Vipers for sale every once in a while on ebay. I would love to have one (very similar to the Godin nylon string), but you do have to plug it in to get the sound out. I suspect that for performing, it's the way to go.
Paul
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)