The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
da' Show

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

cliff
Posted 2002-04-15 12:50 PM (#222863)
Subject: da' Show

Well, I finally DID make it to the world reknown (or at least it SHOULD be, by now with all of the SHAMELESS promotion) South Jersey Guitar Show yesterday afternoon.

No sooner did I get my "vintage" brown Ovation case up on the "Check In" table, when Al "swooped" down on me from the rafters like a hawk on a preoccupied rabbitt.
Al later confessed that he's developed a "sixth sense" for detecting OHSC's.

Al, it was QUITE a pleasure to meet you and many THANKS for the parts for my Custom Balladeer. With all of the things to see and play I forgot to purchase some of Mother Pepiak's Phamous Pumpkin Pie. Please tell her I won't forget the next time 'round.

I also got to meet Miles (likewise a PLEASURE, sir)and not only got to put faces to the names "behind the screens", but was able to sample some of the nifty guitars and equipment that they brought to the show. I paricularly liked the 2001(?) Collectors model with redwood top. Seen pics of it, but never played one. SWEET!
I also liked the two black Adamas twelve strings (both the Melissa Etheridge model and it's hetro counterpart) and the black "mando" as well. Had my current finances been a bit "healthier", I might have left with a new "acquisition".
Next show, perhaps.

I gave my Adamas slot head to Kim Keller who was there from Ovation (REALLY nice guy!) to look at while I checked out some of Al's/Miles' guitars.
When I came back to Kim's table, the crowd around it was reminiscent of that "Alien Autopsy" movie!
Kim's tool kit was thrown open and there were mirrors, flashlights, probes, and a few things that I swear looked they might have come from a gynecological clinic!
Needless to say Kim was somewhat enamoured with the guitar.

The scariest moment for me came when he stood back in an open area of the booth, holding the guitar in both hands near the head stock at arms length with the guitar upside down. I could SWEAR he was a bout to make a classic "El Kabong Swing" ala John McEnroe! My girfriend glanced over at me at that moment and said that ALL of the color had drained out of my face. Turns out Kim was just looking at the top to see it's symmetry (or lack thereof), and said the guitar was DEFINITELY hand made and "quite special".
Miles (I believe it was) had the best quote of the day when he quipped:
"Ahhhh! - if they were such great guitars, they would've made MORE of 'em!"

Anyway, it was GREAT show, and an absolute pleasure to shake both of your respective hands!

Looking forward to the next one.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
alpep
Posted 2002-04-15 6:45 PM (#222864 - in reply to #222863)
Subject: Re: da' Show

Cliff
It was an absolutely pleasure to meet your very special guitar. Oh yea and you and your girlfriend too.
I have a strange homing device in my head for ovation brown cases I sort of sniff them out and if I do I always hang around to see what is in it when it was opened. I saw this one coming a MILE away when the latches were opened I was there and I think that guitar was in my hands in about 10 seconds after the lid was popped open. I realize now I did not ask permission to try it bur I hope you accept this apology for my rudeness.
This guitar ROARS and is awesome I am just knocked out over it. the binding is what blew me away it was not the traditional rope binding but sort of a leaf like what surrounds the sound holes. I canno begin to tell you what an awesome instrument it is. I played it without a pick acoustically and ove the din of the crowd it was just load wonferful and full of tone.
After playing it for a few minutes I asked permission to bring it over to kim where the autopsy began. again another person floored by a truely special guitar.
cliff thanks for driving down to the show. It was a pleasure I am glad you had a good time and I know I did the hamer fan club gig on fri and sat nights and was just dog tired on sunday so I know the effort you made to make it down after a late gig thanks.
I hope to have some events planned re Ovation so we can all get together maybe factory tour or a jam or something all this will come in time.
and thanks for tolerating allthe shameless self promotion
btw mom makes homebaked goodies every show and nearly sells out every show. you gotta love it.
Woz
Posted 2002-04-16 7:51 AM (#222865 - in reply to #222863)

Thanks for the "report"... I was thinking about how I could drive 5.5hr and still fit in the rest of my life... I wasn't able to make it.
Next year.
Woz
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2002-04-16 12:59 PM (#222866 - in reply to #222863)

Great to meet you too.
Besides the guitar, watching Kim work was quite amazing. It's fun to watch someone who knows their craft. Although I did not play the guitar (I figured enough folks would be handling it) the sound was amazing. Actually I tend to test the sound of Acoustic instruments by having someone else play them. Piano's, Drums, Guitars all project, and if I find a guitar I like to play, I ask someone else to play it so I can "listen" to it. This one just belted out, surprisingly loud and rich. That kidding qoute was me, but my favorite qoute was actually more on to the moment. I'm sorry I must "gist" it, but basically it was.. "This is what Ovation is capable of." followed by a few "too bad they don't build'em like that" anymore's.
alpep
Posted 2002-04-16 1:38 PM (#222867 - in reply to #222863)

Kim is not a registered gynecologist...but has played one in singles bars
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)