The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Help, Looking for an Ovation

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

Pops0598
Posted 2002-04-16 11:27 AM (#222854)
Subject: Help, Looking for an Ovation

Help!!! I'm looking for a new Ovation and don't know what to buy. I'm a beginner and have been playing for 5 months now on my fathers deep bowl, six string, straight acoustic Ovation (Model #1111-1, I think). I like the sound and would like a straight acoustic since I know I would not use an electric pick up. The only deep bowl i've seen is a CC-014, but don't really like the natural finish. I've looked at a Celebrity CC-057 but am a little concerned since it's a shallow bowl guitar. Any comments/concerns from anyone? If anyone would like to chat on Instant Message, my AOL screen name is also Pops0598
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jiminos
Posted 2002-04-16 11:36 AM (#222855 - in reply to #222854)
Subject: Re: Help, Looking for an Ovation

If you have the luxury of nearby music stores.... go there and play a lot of guitars. Let your ears choose your guitar for you. (Of course, you need to make sure your hands are comfortable and the guitar feels good/comfortable to hold)..... But the one that you will be happiest with is the one your ears are tha happiest with..... when you find one you think you like.... ask somebody on the staff at the store to play it while you listen.... that will give you an idea what your listeners will hear. If you like the sound when you play it and you like the sound when you hear it being played.... go for it.
The key point is.... don't get wrapped around the axle (at this early stage) with too much concern for make and model..... good luck (btw.... my first guitar was an 1111-4 with no electronics)
musicamex
Posted 2002-04-16 1:56 PM (#222856 - in reply to #222854)

hey pops,

how did you like the acoustic ovation? i agree with jim that a visit to a big guitar store is a no cost education. if you still think the ovation feels and sounds like the best, i don't think you could go wrong looking for an older balladeer on e bay. it's a guitar that won't frustrate you like some of the junk out there that would cost more new. you wan't a new yugo or used beemer? also when you are ready to trade up (hang around this site and YOU WILL) you will have something of quality that probably be worth what you paid for it. if you are like me the guitar family will keep growing. when you use them, good guitars are like old friends. it is damn hard to part with them. i recently found a 1983 collectors ovation for $330 that was straight acoustic. there are plenty of good ovations out there used , and i'd go with the deep bowl (standard), and if you can find the earlier cloth bowl that is MY personal preference.
Beal
Posted 2002-04-18 2:13 PM (#222857 - in reply to #222854)

Russ,
An 83 collectors straight acoustic?? I don't recall that we made one of these.
As far as to answer this question the best is to go to a store and check them out. No amount of pictures and paragraphs can replace playing it.
Woz
Posted 2002-04-19 7:46 AM (#222858 - in reply to #222854)

Having just bought "old" and New... I'd vote for playing / feeling the guitar first. (Vs. ebay.)
If you had 3 or 4 of the exact model side by side one would win or beat out the others. Out of the 4 one might even be a "dog". But the one you pick can become a long time friend.
Woz
Bradley
Posted 2002-04-19 9:14 PM (#222859 - in reply to #222854)

On one hand I agree with everyone, try before you buy.

On the other hand, I don't know how much money you have to spend. I have seen quite a few good deals on E-Bay for Ovations.

I picked up an UK-II for $195. I also bought a Glen Campbell Ovation for my wife for $195. Both were in very good condition.

A couple of weeks ago I picked up a beautiful, near mint, Custom Elite for $549 complete with shipping.

I saw someone pick up a Custom Legend for under $300 about a month ago.

If you don't have a lot of money to spend, you might consider E-Bay. Make sure you check the seller's feedback. Also, if you see something that interest you, ask the very nice people here. They are extremely helpful when it comes to our favorite round-backed guitars.

Bradley
musicamex
Posted 2002-04-21 8:58 AM (#222860 - in reply to #222854)

bill, i have yet to see this guitar in person other than the photos and description from the seller. it has the 83 collector's inlay in the neck, is a barnboard cutaway, but has no electronics. i posted a topic about it but got no response. maybe it was a monday morning guitar. i'll see it in about a month as well as the results from "my broken foot e bay spree". and a few more extra special others from a certain new amigo.
Beal
Posted 2002-04-21 7:18 PM (#222861 - in reply to #222854)

It is best to try before you buy but if you buy cheap enough.....go for it!

I've never bought a guitar that I didn't think how I'd get out if it should I choose to in the future. Of course I've still made some stupid emotional decisions for what I thought at the time were some very cool guitars. Some times you win and some times you don't.
alpep
Posted 2002-04-22 8:44 AM (#222862 - in reply to #222854)

When buy and sell a guitar over the net or mail order there has to be a little faith between the buyer and seller. I usually sell products that I love so it is easier for me. But there are times when I have to just bite my lip and give generic comments and that is all I can say about the item.
You have to realize that what makes my day may be crap to you and what you love I may thing you smoke crack.

there are a few that I have bought that I have been disappointed with in some way but never so disappointed that I had to send it back.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)