The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Glen Campbell Show

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

Rick O
Posted 2002-04-16 1:49 PM (#222827)
Subject: Glen Campbell Show

Hi guys,
I thought this might be interesting to the members of this sight.
The Country Music Channel is now airing the old Glen Campbell show on Tuesday nights.
Some of the performers are halarious to a guy my age with no interest in country music. But it was certainly fun to see some of the old Ovation models in all their glory.

Last week during the closing credits they had clip of Glen and somebody else (Jerry Reed ?)
doing some serious jamming on some old slotted headstock models.

I'm gonna keep watching to see if I can catch the whole performance.

Great sight. I have enjoyed reading all of the debates.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paul Templeman
Posted 2002-04-16 5:40 PM (#222828 - in reply to #222827)
Subject: Re: Glen Campbell Show

Jerry Reed was/is an incredible player, A Country Artist user if memory serves, as was Merle Travis' son Tom Bresh. I had to have a Country Artist after I saw Bresh playing one on TV in the early 80's (The Val Doonican Show, a Brit version of George Hamilton IV, though slightly less cheesey) I hassled my old man for the dough. If I hadn't I would have been able to afford the ex-Wings slot-head Adamas which Sam now owns, that I saw in London. Let that be a lesson to all of you with "gottahaveit-itus"

Paul

[ April 16, 2002: Message edited by: Paul Templeman ]
samova
Posted 2002-04-16 9:21 PM (#222829 - in reply to #222827)

Paul, it actually came from Falmouth cornwall.Is that close to london? It was a little shop that had instruments as well as other items.Sort of a pawn shop/music store.It just hung there for a year or so..Then it found its way to ovation musium!! ;)
Nils
Posted 2002-04-16 10:10 PM (#222830 - in reply to #222827)

The Glenn Campbell show just got over here in Oregon. He had mentioned on Larry King the other night that they were going to be airing again. I remember watching them the first time around. I missed part of it, but it was great fun watching the part I saw. What a cast!
Question: During the trailers there was a shot of GC playing what appeared, at first glance, to be a blonde Gibson 335. It was definitly an Ovation headstock, so what model was that??
Nils

[ April 16, 2002: Message edited by: Nils ]
Paul Templeman
Posted 2002-04-17 3:06 AM (#222831 - in reply to #222827)

Nils, the 335-alike was a Thunderhead, part of the short-lived Storm series. Framus bodies, Ovation neck, mostly Schaller hardware. They're nice instruments & can be had for reasonable money. Though probably not for much longer, thanks to this site. They crop up on Ebay occasionally.

Sam, the Shop was Andy's Guitar Workshop in Denmark St, London. A well established vintage dealership/repair shop. It's still there. Denmark Street is London's "Tin Pan Alley" and is full of instrument dealers. The area gets buyers from all over Europe. It's perfectly feasable that the guitar got to Cornwall from there, it's not far from London.

Paul

[ April 17, 2002: Message edited by: Paul Templeman ]
moody, p.i.
Posted 2002-04-17 6:46 AM (#222832 - in reply to #222827)

A lot of the Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour was corny comedy. But I learned how to play guitar and picked up my musical direction from watching that show, and watching specifically the small concert section that was in the middle of every show

I also picked up my love of Ovations from that show. The music and the Ovations have carried my music for over 30 years. I, for one, am glad to see the Goodtime Hour again.
cliff
Posted 2002-04-17 7:39 AM (#222833 - in reply to #222827)

According to "the list" that was posted there were TWO SlotHead Adamases that were attributed to "Wings".
Is it possible that you gentlemen are each referring to a different guitar?

"Sir Paul" is playing here in NYC tonite.
Alas, I am ticketless.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2002-04-17 9:55 AM (#222834 - in reply to #222827)

Going back to the Goodtime Hour, on the show a week ago, Jerry Reed was playing an Ovation Classical (id'd by the neck and placement of the bridge), but it appeared to have wood binding around the body. Anybody know anything about that?
Paul
Paul Templeman
Posted 2002-04-17 10:15 AM (#222835 - in reply to #222827)

The slot-head I saw was was blue & came from the estate of Wing's guitarist Jimmy Mcculloch. The colour may narrow it down. As there were so few of these made & Sam obtained his from the UK I think it's a safe bet it's the same guitar. McCartney or Denny Laine may still own the other.

Paul
cliff
Posted 2002-04-17 10:26 AM (#222836 - in reply to #222827)

At the time, I really didn't notice all of the Ovations. Back then, all I really knew was the distinctive round back, they were supposed to be really good guitars, could be plugged in, and I'd probably never be able to afford one. It'd be neat to be able to see the show again now and spot all the guitars.

Does anyone know if the plethora of Ovations on the show was Mr. Campbell's doing or was Ovation a sponsor of the show? Is there an "Instruments supplied by Ovation Instruments" blurb in the closing credits? (I'm not really sure if they in fact even play the closing credits on a "syndicated" rerun) I don't get the channel here so I can't see for myself. It'd be interesting though. John Hartford!!!
samova
Posted 2002-04-17 9:19 PM (#222837 - in reply to #222827)

I have several of the Glen Cambell happy hour shows on video tape.They were sent to me by a huge GC fan in Canada.I have watched them for the guitars more than for GC..Dont get me wrong,i like GC enough but i wanted the vidios more for the guitars on the show.I also saw an episode of"Sonny and Cher" show where GC was a guest star.He played a white breadwinner and a thunderhead on that show.....

Paul,wings receaved two slot adamases,one was blue and the other beige.I have the blue one and mine also has the wider neck.Im sure the one you saw was mine,the blue one..The beige model is beige/white on the outside and blue /grey in the middle...Anyway, paul thanks for passing up the guitar...It found its way home to the "Ovation musium" ;)

[ April 17, 2002: Message edited by: samova ]
Paul Templeman
Posted 2002-04-18 4:23 AM (#222838 - in reply to #222827)

Sam, that settles it, it's the same guitar. It was definately a wide-neck. When I played it I noticed the neck felt very similar to the Folklore I had at the time. My '78 Adamas is a wide-neck, I love the feel of that neck shape.

Paul
phaseshift
Posted 2002-04-18 4:09 PM (#222839 - in reply to #222827)

Re Sir Paul
I saw him both nights in Chicago last week, and INTERVIEWED him. Alas, I did not have the presence of mind to ask him if he still played the Ovation. His guitars on stage were a Martin 6-string, a Les Paul, and his trademark Hofner violin bass, all lefties, of course.
cliff
Posted 2002-04-18 6:07 PM (#222840 - in reply to #222827)

Phase;

I was able to score tickets TODAY for Sunday nite's show out on Long Island!

My first "Beatle" show (although I kinda wish it was Harrison). Still I am psyched!
samova
Posted 2002-04-18 10:02 PM (#222841 - in reply to #222827)

Paul,im sure as well that it is the same slot Adamas..BTW i was very impressed when i got it,when i found the condition of the guitar.It was in excellent condition.Some of the others that i have seen,the gold flake or glitter on the binding had rubbed off from play.The one i have did not have that problem.The guitar was not played much from what i can see...
phaseshift
Posted 2002-04-19 10:02 AM (#222842 - in reply to #222827)

Cliff, you'll have a blast. McCartney puts on the best show I've ever seen. I saw Harrison in '74, the so-called "Dark Hoarse" tour. Best seats I ever had, row A center. But Harrison's voice was hoarse and he was in a foul mood. Nevertheless, it was the first time I saw a Beatle in the flesh. I got his autograph on a program a couple of days later at his hotel (the same hotel where John apologized for saying the Beatles were more popular than Jesus 8 years earlier). Since then, I've seen McCartney in concert 7 times, and Ringo twice. I've spoken to all three of those Beatles; alas I never saw Lennon.
cliff
Posted 2002-04-19 11:42 AM (#222843 - in reply to #222827)

Whatever the hell this all has to with Glen Campbell is WAY beyond me, but....

...yeah, I'm really "geared" (no pun) for Sun nite!

I was too late for tickets to the "Bangla Desh" show at MSG, and ALMOST got to the "Dark Hoarse" tour. Never saw Ringo. Have to make a point to catch him next time 'round.

I was once sitting on the grass one Sunday afternoon in Central Park and some passer-by stepped on my finger. I looked up and it was Lennon! He, Yoko and infant Sean were walking through the park. He stooped down to apologize.
I fainted.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2002-04-19 12:41 PM (#222844 - in reply to #222827)

Cliff:
If you go back to the first post on this thread, you see that it started with a comment on the old Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour and that he played Ovations. Somewhere in the course of the thread, it moved back to old slot head Adamas'.
Moody
Beal
Posted 2002-04-19 1:12 PM (#222845 - in reply to #222827)

The CG show is where the idea for the A/E came from. Glen didn't want a mike between him and the camera. He kept after Ovation to do something and when it took too long he switched to a Baldwin guitar. All at the Big O shat themselves and went out and bought a baldwin and put the pickup on an Ovation and Glen was happy. Then pickups were bought from Baldwin for OEM installation. (before someone asks probably less than 50) Engineering went to work to improve it because it really needed it and the Ovation pickup was born. The rest is histpory as they say.

As a side note this baldwin pickup is what Willie Nelson has in his guitar and it's served him well all these years.
Bluebird
Posted 2002-05-07 12:03 PM (#222846 - in reply to #222827)

Approximately how hany were made with the Barcus Berry pickups? As I mentioned in another post I have one made for Glen, a classical with model #; 1123-4 E(electric?), sin #; X010 with prototype stereo pickup and a 4-pin Cannon output. It has a cedar top, artist depth bowl, 19 fret, 1 7/8" fingerboard, joins body at 12th fret. The label is in an odd place; instead of directly below the soundhole as per usual it is located inside on the treble side of the bowl.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2002-05-07 7:16 PM (#222847 - in reply to #222827)

The Baldwin pickup was actually a development of an electro-classical guitar designed by UK guitar loony Jim Burns around 1964/65, existing only in prototype form as the "Elizabethan" model. Burns was in serious debt to his suppliers & sold out to Baldwin around 1966. Baldwin presumably thought the concept had legs & ran with it. I've played one Baldwin elecro-classical about 15 years ago, absolute piece of crap, terrible guitar with a terrible pickup. It's testiment to Willie's talent that he can take a Martin Classical that should have been retired decades ago, stick on a crap pickup & play through an equally crap Baldwin amp & get a sound (a somewhat unique sound, admittedly)

Paul

[ May 07, 2002: Message edited by: Paul Templeman ]
moody, p.i.
Posted 2002-05-07 9:46 PM (#222848 - in reply to #222827)

As a side note, Jerry Reed LOVES Baldwin guitars and even tho' he has very fancy guitars, keeps coming back to them.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)