The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
intonation

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

musicamex
Posted 2002-04-17 10:08 AM (#222776)
Subject: intonation

any tricks for us guys with a basic tuner for setting itonation? any reccommended tuners that work better than others? how do the pros do it?

i'm off to pick up two old sailing buddies in a bit. they are bringing me two ovations, so if i am a bit scarce over the next week or so, i'm either sailing fishing or picking.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
moody, p.i.
Posted 2002-04-17 10:17 AM (#222777 - in reply to #222776)
Subject: Re: intonation

Russ:
What guitars are you getting?
Paul
Paul Templeman
Posted 2002-04-17 10:34 AM (#222778 - in reply to #222776)

Russ, do you want to intonate acoustics? If its an electro-acoustic Ovation, there's nothing that can be easily done if the factory saddle isn't intonating correctly for your action & string gauge. It may be possible to recarve the crown of the later Tru-balance pickup, but I wouldn't attempt that without checking with the factory.

Electric guitar intonation is a breeze. Measure the distance from nut to 12 fret. Make sure the point at which the string touches the saddle is exactly this distance from the 12th fret. Play a 12th fret harmonic & get it exactly in tune, any decent guitar tuner will suffice. If a note fretted at the 12th is sharp by comparison, make the overall string length longer by adjusting the saddle. If it's flat make it shorter. Remember though that guitar intonation is a "close enough for jazz" kinda thing, you will never get every note on every string perfectly in tune.

I picked up a really cool 70's Ovation tuner recently for a few dollars. It works by placing a little light under the string which occilates at the same frequency as the string but in reverse phase (I guess) When the string is out of tune you can see it wiggle over the light, when it's in tune it's static. It's great for setting-up intonation. The price ticket was still on & these things were over $60 in the 70's.

Paul
moody, p.i.
Posted 2002-04-17 11:01 AM (#222779 - in reply to #222776)

Russ:
Do you also know that on acoustic electrics, you can pop off the top of the bridge on the string that won't intonate correctly and reverse it. I did that with the Classical on the high e string and it helped with the intonation in the higher frets.
Paul
musicamex
Posted 2002-04-17 11:10 AM (#222780 - in reply to #222776)

hey paul y paul,

i have a flamed pinnacle 12 string, and my 3rd ukII coming today. i have several more that i haven't seen in person yet in the states. i like the medical system here. my broken foot cost me less than $50, as opposed to a couple of thousand in the states. i spent the difference on guitars. logical to you guys i'm sure. i'm not sure my wife shares my strategy. she gave up on the "hombre de muchas cosas" as she refers to me years ago and doesn't even roll her eyes anymore these days.

thanks for the tips paul t. that is mas o menos what i am doing with my electrics. my acoustics (knock on fiberglass) are all intonated pretty well. that tuner sounds like a real find. i have a sabine and a cheapie korg that are always "close enough for jazz". i knew you would have some useful input. thanks
moody, p.i.
Posted 2002-04-17 12:31 PM (#222781 - in reply to #222776)

I think, to avoid confussion, and not to be confused with Paul T. here, I'll go by what a friend calls me, Moody1 (Moody - one).
Beal
Posted 2002-04-17 7:31 PM (#222782 - in reply to #222776)

Russ, The other good thing about the medical system down there is no law suits, right? If there's a problem you settle it like men, with real knives or guns and it's over and done with, Is this not so?
moody, p.i.
Posted 2002-04-17 8:47 PM (#222783 - in reply to #222776)

You mean like in south central L.A.?
musicamex
Posted 2002-04-18 5:51 AM (#222784 - in reply to #222776)

bill-----are you back in florida? how was the trip?

they dont seem to be into the insurance concept here yet, though mexico is playing catch up with the rest of the modern world in adopting that kind of stuff. the philosophy here is that if you get hurt, you chose to be where you were and took the risk and above all, dios quiere, or god wanted it to happen. so we have no homeowners insurance. the other thing that knocks the heck out of costs is property tax. my farm in slp, is about 140 acres with 50 irrigated and it's taxes last year were $22 us. our residence which is very humble but on a 1/4 city block in the business district 2 blocks from the waterfront was $25. individuals don't pay income tax here. businesses and corporations do, but since this is a cash society, lot's is off the books. they tax consumption and not personal productivity with a stiff 15% tax on all but food and medicine. the mexican gov also owns all of the oil and gas and makes tremendous revenue from that. gas is currently 2.35 a gal but public transportation is cheap. we have a small corporation here to facilitate coastal land ownership, and we are taxed at 35% on profit, but we dont sell anything. no tax. there are a few loopholes like anywhere else.

people don't duel it out over hassles like in the old days. guns are illegal except for long arms on your farm. pistols will earn you hard time. so small time theft doesn't involve weapons except in the big citys and border towns, and it doesn't compare with the usa. fights usually involve alcohol, drug deals and machismo i have only seen a few minor scuffles in the 27 years since my first adult visit. where i grew up in detroit, 3 of my classmates never made it to graduation as a result of separate street gang related deaths. it's even worse now.

kathleen can walk our streets at any time of the night without fear or concern. i once left my keys in the door after a late night and didn't discover i didn't have them till about noon the following day. a few hundred people had passed them by then and they were still there untouched. the real banditos here have always traditionaly been the politicians. i guess flys are flys where ever you go.
Beal
Posted 2002-04-18 2:09 PM (#222785 - in reply to #222776)

Damn Russ!!
You workin for the Chamber of Commerce or what?? You make it sound so good, where do we sign up??
Yes, I'm back below the Mason-Dixon.
cliff
Posted 2002-04-18 2:41 PM (#222786 - in reply to #222776)

They SHOULD make Russ the Director of Tourism!
He'd have the economy turned around there in NO time!
He had me sold a WHILE ago!!!
Beal
Posted 2002-04-19 1:33 PM (#222787 - in reply to #222776)

Back to the original question, Intonation.
If you eat the worm does that help or hurt your intonation?
Jiminos
Posted 2002-04-19 2:21 PM (#222788 - in reply to #222776)

wouldn't that make a question of intoxination?

it would help from the player's side and hurt from the listener's side..... i think (urp)
Beal
Posted 2002-04-19 2:48 PM (#222789 - in reply to #222776)

Jim,
Good point and that is usually how it works
cliff
Posted 2002-04-19 3:43 PM (#222790 - in reply to #222776)

"The smoker you drink, the player you get".

- Joe Walsh
moody, p.i.
Posted 2002-04-19 5:23 PM (#222791 - in reply to #222776)

I've had days where I that made perfect sense.
musicamex
Posted 2002-04-21 8:47 AM (#222792 - in reply to #222776)

hey guys, i have to build this place up. so far i'm the only member of the mexican chapter of the ovation fan club---------so i'm recruiting able fingered big o afficionados to join in the fun of playing (not only music) and in the quest of the musical gusano (worm). be careful with those short questions about life in the land of manana------i only have long answers.

a little tincture of gusano (as well as other other mexican herbal remidies) seems to remove that mental arthritis that can occur when you are playing tennesee waltz for the umteenth time. the level of applause seems to go up too, but they are usually on a serious worm hunt so maybe they are clapping in sympathy. sure beats the hell out of playing dominos and talking about the good old days.

the good old days for me are happening now and they be good mon. i have plenty of fresh fish from a good catch yesterday. come for lunch and a little musica on the beach at anna bananas amigos. always room for more musicians!!!!

i got a fortune in a chinese restaurant about 15 years ago that changed my life forever--------"the richest man can not buy back his past". i stuck it by the rear view mirror of my car and it finally dawned on me that i could trade my life for a bigger pile of jack or lower my needs and follow my heart. now i know what is really important. the "vida" is enough for me.

it's breakfast time and i need some a cup of joe. did i ever tell you about the coffee plantations in the nearby mountains-----------
alpep
Posted 2002-04-21 1:07 PM (#222793 - in reply to #222776)

Russ
next thing you will tell us is you live on a commune and listen to the white album......
musicamex
Posted 2002-04-21 2:10 PM (#222794 - in reply to #222776)

been there, done that. old habits are hard to break al.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)