The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
12-strng Dobro?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

old 12-bar
Posted 2002-04-19 11:30 PM (#222709)
Subject: 12-strng Dobro?

Has anyone ever seen or heard of a 12-string dobro? I haven't, but the thought crossed my mind that perhaps someone might have experimented with one. I believe that Leadbelly was one of the few blues artists that regulary used a 12-string (wooden acoustic). I once tried a modern dobro-style el-cheapo that had a single coil pick-up in addition to the resonator cone. When played through an amp, it sounded exactly like a guitar with a single coil pick-up. I suppose the only way to amplify a resonator guitar and capture the resonator "tone" would be to mike it. Why doesn't Ovation try a resonator as a possible "Collector's" issue for one of their yearly "experiments"? Perhaps a combination of a Koa top with a gold tone cone, prison tattoo inlays and a "History of Hip-Hop" Book autographed by boy vocal group of or a Rap "Gangsta" would fetch big bucks in about 30 years. Especially if they only made three or four (they could sell all four don't you think)?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
musicamex
Posted 2002-04-21 9:51 AM (#222710 - in reply to #222709)
Subject: Re: 12-strng Dobro?

you mean kinda like a mercedes low rider with a 427 chevy engine, tinted bullet proof glass and a flame paint job? i'd stick to three. lol.

actually, bill, couldn't we try an experiment with a stainless bathroom sink for the bowl???---an interNATIONAL tricone. we could make em here! an adamas resonator with a stainless bowl. the ultimate beach guitar.

[ April 21, 2002: Message edited by: musicamex ]
musicamex
Posted 2002-04-21 10:00 AM (#222711 - in reply to #222709)

i just started sketches of the double neck version using a double sink with an optional drainboard to protect those vital parts from flying beer bottles while playing those rowdy country bars. what do you think cliff. am i onto something (or am i on somthing)?
alpep
Posted 2002-04-21 1:03 PM (#222712 - in reply to #222709)

Guess you never heard of leo keotki? (sp) he used a gibson B 45 12 and then a Bozo ( pernounced bo SHO)
I remember seeing a 12 string resonator national years ago but hey my memory is not what it used to be.
I have an ovation resonator slot head adamas.
musicamex
Posted 2002-04-21 2:06 PM (#222713 - in reply to #222709)

back to the drawing board!!!

leo kotke is one of my old inspirations al. but what is a bozo? got any postable photos of the slothead resonator? i dont remember it from your museum of modern musical marvels photos, but my memory-------let's see, what WERE we talking about.
alpep
Posted 2002-04-21 5:18 PM (#222714 - in reply to #222709)

check #63 on my website
Beal
Posted 2002-04-21 7:02 PM (#222715 - in reply to #222709)

I believe that National does offer a 12 string resonator. Can't remember if it's a tri or single. I'm pretty sure they never made any the first time around (1927-1941).

Russ, I love the double sink idea, we'll put two travis bean necks on it and then just wail in the 427 lowride M-B.

We did make two single cone Ovations, one turquoise and one silver. They're still at the factory last I knew. I don't think Ovation should do it though, it's not what they do and there's others that do it much better. Still, that never stopped people from doing things before and my opinion doesn't carry very much water anymore so we'll see but don't hold yer breath.
musicamex
Posted 2002-04-22 7:14 AM (#222716 - in reply to #222709)

bill, that mb lowrider and the double bowl "bad-em-ass" would blend right in at south beach. i have a black 67 230s fin body (token fins compared to your caddy) that would be perfect. all we need is hydraulics and plenty of batteries for the amp. alpep probably has what we need in his mom's shed.

geesh al you have some cool stuff in your collection!! AND classy carpets!!! how does that res"O"nator sound?
cliff
Posted 2002-04-22 9:31 AM (#222717 - in reply to #222709)

Okay . . . double-tub stainless steel sink body, dual Travis B aluminum necks, twin Benz hubcap resonators, . . . and . . . . one of those Delta "shick shift" faucet handles for a whammy bar!!!!

(I swear I can hear the theme from "Sanford & Son" playing somewhere).
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)