The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Ultimate Adamas

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

Morse
Posted 2002-04-23 3:31 PM (#222631)
Subject: Ultimate Adamas

Hello, Lads. I've narrowed my seach for an Ovation to one of the earlier Adamas models, at least one with the textured carbon fiber top, as opposed to the SMT or the CVT. What I'd like to see a discussion of is the different early versions of the Adamas I and II. What are your favorites and why? I'm leaning to the 1881 Adamas II, but I would like a version with the carved headstock and bridge. What'dya think? :rolleyes:
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Beal
Posted 2002-04-23 3:36 PM (#222632 - in reply to #222631)
Subject: Re: Ultimate Adamas

If you want an early Adamas 1 it comes with the carvings
If you want an Adamas 2 it is without.
No choice on your part in the matter.
elias
Posted 2002-04-23 3:45 PM (#222633 - in reply to #222631)

Morse hi,
I mean no offence but I think that this topic is exhausted already! We have here discussed so many times about the Adamases that I am afraid there is nothing more to say. If you check the topics both in bulletin board and sell/trade you 'll see what I mean.
It's my modest opinion.
Morse
Posted 2002-04-23 4:14 PM (#222634 - in reply to #222631)

Oops!! I knew that the II is without the carving. What I was thinking and not typing was whether any of the I's had the cutaway, or did that start with the II's? :eek:
Jiminos
Posted 2002-04-23 5:07 PM (#222635 - in reply to #222631)

flame follows:
We have here discussed so many times about the Adamases that I am afraid there is nothing more to say.
so sayeth Elias...
Bill Gates once said, "No computer will ever need more than 64K of memory." In 1865, the patent office contemplated closing because everything that could be invented has been invented...
how rude. just because it may be that you have nothing more to say doesn't mean there is nothing more to be said. Looking at Morse's member number, I'd say he's relatively new here.... like me. When something is new to you (like this forum for example), enthusiasm can run high. Responses like Elias' can squash enthusiasm. (Picture in your mind Morse talking to a friend.... "Yeah I went to the Ovation Fan Club site and asked a question.... got shut down right off the bat.... prob'ly won't go back." Then ask yourself, "Does that help or hinder what is being attempted here?")
May I suggest that if you can't contribute positively to a new member's question (or any member's question, for that matter).... you leave it alone?
alpep
Posted 2002-04-23 5:52 PM (#222636 - in reply to #222631)

Morse the only real difference is the lack of the carved headstock and heal and the bowl material was changed. Personally not real different sounding.Now the slot head adamas guitars are the earliest and they have a very distinct sound. absolutely wonderful. modern electronics in many of the II's make them more useable plugged in.
guess you really have to play some and try them out.
elias
Posted 2002-04-23 7:30 PM (#222637 - in reply to #222631)

My my, Jim! simmer down buddy and open your eyes!, ...that much sensitivity!!!!
he, he, he, he.
Well,... for your information, Morse had posted a topic a few days ago asking about Adamas cutaways, older and newer Adamases etc, etc..the same question. The topic was "Adamas Primer" and was posted in both "General Posting" as well as "sell/trade". Guess who was the very first (and the only one! as a matter of fact) to respond to him and enlighten him? Myself.
It seems though that Morse did not read my response, neither did you.
"How rude" hah?
Do you want to go over the same topic a couple more times?
Sure, why not? Go ahead!
elias
Posted 2002-04-23 7:40 PM (#222638 - in reply to #222631)

...and this is what I mean my dear sensitive newcomer friend Jim!:
>>>Topic: Adamas Primer Morse Junior Member Member # 169
posted April 20, 2002 09:25 PM

Does anyone know if any of the earlier Adamas models had both the carved haedstock and the single cutaway? Also, what are the significant (player-wise) differences between the 70's-80's models and the 90's models?

Posts: 2 | From: Hot Springs, Arkansas | Registered: Apr 2002

elias
Member # 23
posted April 21, 2002 08:17 AM
The Adamas model #1587 that came out in 1981 represents a cutaway Adamas, with single epaulette, carved headstock, and bridge, as well as the carved fiberglass binding (carved fiberglass ring). Deep bowl of course. ELECTRONICS: Built-in mono/stereo acoustic electric pickup and FET-preamplifier. Uses six piezoelectric transducers located directly beneath Derlin saddles. The STEREO feature is wired so that, when used with a stereo cable, the output of strings 1, 3, and 5 goes to one channel, and 2, 4, and 6 to the other. Separation of left and right channels is achieved when used with a STEREO amplifier/PA or two individual amps (use stereo Y-cable). The Adamas preamp has separate Volume and Tone Controls, both mounted at the waist of the instrument. Lots of glitter on both the graphite top ansd the deep lyrachord
bowl. Later models (late 80s) instead of the FET stereo/mono electronics had the OP-24 system with the 3 band equalizer, and after 1994 they received the OPTIMA system. Another difference is that the very early models (1981-?) had a
single epaulette, while the later Adamas 1587 received a second smaller epaulette in the cutaway site.
Posts: 46 | From: Philadelphia, PA 19107 | Registered: Feb 2002
Beal
Posted 2002-04-23 8:20 PM (#222639 - in reply to #222631)

Please gentlemen,
While ya'll are busy pissing in each others shoes let me try to answer the question.
The Ad1 did have a cutaway but only one side sound holes. (Later it got holes on both sides.) I forget when but Sam can tell us because he bought the proto ctwy from me and it's dated. By then the Ad2 was introduced and it got a ctwy too.
There is more than the carving difference. The Ad1 is walnut and Ad2 is a std Ovation neck. both have walnut f/b but a slightly different inlay. By the time of the Ad2 each had the same bowl matl. The Ad2 didn't have matched braces and slightly different color shades.
All in all there's not much differencs between them tone wise but if one has an edge it's the Ad1, usually. Again, the variation between guitars is greater than the designed in differences.
Morse
Posted 2002-04-23 10:25 PM (#222640 - in reply to #222631)

Geez, guys, I didn't mean to cause such a stir. I did read Elias' first response, but I was looking for more information about the differences between the Adamas I & II. I thought (from reading the other posts on the board and elsewhere) that it was the carving that was eliminated and maybe the cutaway added. It looks like from the last post that maybe the Ad I has the edge. (I would love to try both, but I've only held one Adamas and that was several years ago. We just don't see them around these parts very often. So... I was depending on you guys to offer some guidance and you all clearly have very strong opinions about these guitars. BTW, I didn't really take offense at Elias' response. He did respond to me the first time and I was grateful tor that and I can understand that the Adamas subject may be wearing thin. But believe me, I do really appreciate all of your insights. Whenever I do get an Adamas. I will share my thoughts on it with you all... Thanks!!
elias
Posted 2002-04-24 4:55 AM (#222641 - in reply to #222631)

Hey Bill, thanks man!
I was told though that I quit pissing in others shoes at the age of 7 months...is that possible? Personally I do not recall. Anyhow...
it seems that the Adamas cutaway 1587 was introduced in 1979 (not 1981), at least this is what the "Ovation History" Book, by W. Carter says.
Sam has the first cutaway proto? Really?
Morse, if you need any more info on Adamases (or to buy one) give me a call. Meanwhile enjoy the pics at:

http://mail.med.upenn.edu/~elias/Adamas.jpg

For more details check my topic at sell/trade section.

Thank you gentlemen, have a nice day.
cliff
Posted 2002-04-24 8:02 AM (#222642 - in reply to #222631)

"..so I've got this Adamas prototype, and I've been told that it's "#20" and....."

(.....just kidding!!!!)

Bill: "y'all"? . . . . "y'all"? . . . .

A "Connecticut Yankee" that says "y'all"!?!?!?!?!

What has Florida DONE to you???

Please don't tell me you're wearing one of those visors on your head along with the "wraparound" sunglasses too!!!!!
Beal
Posted 2002-04-24 12:47 PM (#222643 - in reply to #222631)

I was being formal, Ya'll is formal. yewins is the familiar.
I was told that I quit pissing in shoes at age two but those were my own shoes.
'78 sounds early. If my records are correct that guitar is s/n 060981 which is June 9, 1981. Sam, can you confirm this? I might be thinking of a different guitar. If that's what it says in the book Walter must have gotten it wrong and I missed it on the proof read. Sorry
As far as being a Yankee, well there is some of that when you're born and it don't never come off. Down here they remind you of that. I guess we're just living in exile trying to blend in as best we can.

Beale
alpep
Posted 2002-04-24 1:04 PM (#222644 - in reply to #222631)

in jersey it is youse guys
cliff
Posted 2002-04-24 1:11 PM (#222645 - in reply to #222631)

A guy down in Florida once told me that there are "Yankees" and there's "DAMN Yankees":

"Yankees" come down, visit with "the Mouse and the Duck" for a while, spend some money and go home.

"DAMN Yankess" come down, buy a house and STAY!
Beal
Posted 2002-04-24 2:28 PM (#222646 - in reply to #222631)

Yes Cliff, that is correct and it's not just here in south Georga. It's anywhere south of the mason dixon line.
Once you go south of Palm Beach you're OK, RThey're all from New York, till you reach north cuba of course.
cliff
Posted 2002-04-24 2:53 PM (#222647 - in reply to #222631)

On a side note:

On the last Mark Knopfler solo album, he did a song (with James Taylor) about surveyor/astronomer team of Mason and Dixon and their famous "line" that they came to America to plot.

I did a little research. It was originally done to settle a property dispute. It originates in Philadelphia and dosen't really go as far South as you might think. Check it out some rainy afternoon. Pretty interesting.
samova
Posted 2002-04-24 3:09 PM (#222648 - in reply to #222631)

Howdy ya'll from sunny Atlanta,Ga.

Bill, yes it is a june 9 1981 adamas prototype Namm show guitar.First adamas cutaway.Nice guitar ,even after it was dropped at the namm show and the top fell off...OUCH!!!
Bill, all that is missing now from the ovation musium is a 1987 collectors bear claw and a super legend!!! hint,hint!! ;)
moody, p.i.
Posted 2002-04-24 3:24 PM (#222649 - in reply to #222631)

I was under the impression that Glen Campbell had the first two Adamas cutaways and that they were supershallow bowl guitars. I saw him play them on his tv show in the early 80's. One was a nylon string (same neck as a country artist, and the other a steel string. Shortly after that he started playing the first Elite prototype.
Beal
Posted 2002-04-24 7:00 PM (#222650 - in reply to #222631)

Paul,
Not the case at all, sorry. Glen got one early on but not one of the first.
Beal
Posted 2002-04-24 7:04 PM (#222651 - in reply to #222631)

That's a great song by knoffler. The sign on the road tells us we cross the line at the Maryland/Penna line on rt 81. Don't know if that's the actual line or an approximation.
Morse
Posted 2002-04-24 9:03 PM (#222652 - in reply to #222631)

Can one of you guys explain the different on-board electronics in the Adamas models? It looks to me like the first ones had the volume and tone knobs, the next ones had the volume with an equalizer and the II's had the gain/notch knobs with the tuner and equalizer. What noticeable difference is there in the amplification? Arer they all piezoelectric pickups?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)