The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
I lost a convert......

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

alpep
Posted 2002-04-24 1:50 PM (#222593)
Subject: I lost a convert......

well a good friend told me of his intention to buy a taylor so I took an adamas smt and a 2001 collector's threw them in the back of my pickup and went to his house. when I got there he did
not tell me but he already picked up the guitar.

Not a bad instrument. It played really well the neck had a great feel but there was something lacking in the acoustic sound. The low end was non existent and the treble was just too nasal for my taste.

He played the 2001 and the smt. Nice feel nice action he said but the sound is muffled. he attributed that to the bowl. I reminded him that the top resonants and the back reflects the sound. and mind you this guy worked in music stores for 20 years.

I was dumbfounded the taylor was just nothing compared to either of the Ovations. He did especially like the redwood top of the 2001. the taylor has the fishbreath pickup system which IMHO does not compare to the ovation. He told me that was the industry standard. I guess he never heard of any others...

well we did the test. Play a first position A chord and whack it I told him. I did the same on the 2001. the ovation just BARKED!!! it really responded well and had a great tone and resonance. IMHO the taylor just was flat.

I know I cannot convert everyone to the church of ovation but I sure as hell try. I drag high end guitars with me all the time to show off how they sound but some folks just don;t get it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Beal
Posted 2002-04-24 2:19 PM (#222594 - in reply to #222593)
Subject: Re: I lost a convert......

They're just like a warm glass of milk

Actually I like the Fishbreath pickup, but that's usually in a guitar I'm playing acoustically. Plugged in, well different story. (back to the ice cream analagy)
musicamex
Posted 2002-04-25 7:06 PM (#222595 - in reply to #222593)

once someone owns something that was a big nick to the ducket pile it becomes even more difficult to reason with them. a noble effort alex, but he is telling his taylor buddies how poorly the ovations compared to his new baby. poor deluded guy--------i'm glad we know the truth!!!
JT3
Posted 2002-04-25 8:26 PM (#222596 - in reply to #222593)

Al....recently a good friend of mine, purchased
a Martin, don't remember the model #..but he paid
about 2K for it. He brought it over for me to see what I thought..I think it's nice..BUT..I let
him play my Adamas SMT 12 string plugged in to
my AR Acoustic Pro-Verb 65. He played it finger
picking, with picks and all he could say was
"I ain't never heard a guitar sound like this!!"
You talk about a man getting converted!!!
I flat pick but that sound has got me on the learning road to finger picking!!! Guess what
he is about to buy? It's hard to mess around
the Adamas and not get hooked!!

"JT"
alpep
Posted 2002-04-25 9:20 PM (#222597 - in reply to #222593)

I own 2 martins a 68 or so d 35 and d 35 12S both are great guitars but I rarely play them out any more I exclusively used the 6 string in my college days boy did the bimbos love martins!!! but I was never happy with the amplified sound back then I used a dearmond sound hole pickup or just mic it through the pa and all you would get is feedback.
since I got hooked on ovations I can never see using another guitar amplified. Sure I still love my martins and when I am playing them in front of a neumann tlm 103 or a km 84 they are great but for gigging it is the ovations hands down.
remember that ovation were trying to beat the amplified sound of rickard's martin d 45. I don;t thiink it is a sin to own different istruments variety is the spice of life but if I can I always try to turn people on to high end ovations I just like to see the look on their faces.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2002-04-26 5:52 AM (#222598 - in reply to #222593)

I like to play a recording of my Ovations & then get the listener to guess which guitar they think it is from whatever happens to be around my studio. They usually point to one of the hand-builts or the '64 Texan. Then I tell them "no it's one of those horrible plastic guitars that you think sound like shit" I've converted a few to the cause that way. You're right though Al, it doesn't hurt to have a few different colours on your palette.

Paul

[ April 26, 2002: Message edited by: Paul Templeman ]
musicamex
Posted 2002-04-26 8:08 AM (#222599 - in reply to #222593)

GOOD IDEA PAUL. a blind taste test. how better to remove any visual stigma.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)