The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Considering a small(er) acoustic guitar maker?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

elias
Posted 2002-04-26 2:31 PM (#222549)
Subject: Considering a small(er) acoustic guitar maker?

Hi guys,
we recently discussed the topic on considering a Martin guitar, I 've read topics on other electric guitars, and certainly Bill owns, plays (and enjoys I guess) his Martin D-42K, as well as his Collings guitar(s).

Myself, besides Ovations (and Adamases), I have owned other acoustics (Takamine, Taylor, Martin, Goodall, etc) and I have play-tested countless of "other" acoustics, such as Santa-Cruz, Collings, Petros, Gibson, Martin, Goodall, Everett, Huss & Dalton, Froggy Bottom, Lowden, Mitchell, Kinscherff, etc., etc.
There were all high-end acoustic guitars, expensive, with unique and complex tonal characteristics.
In generally I would categorize them in two major groups:
a). Martins, and Martin-like acoustics (made by other luthiers, such as Collings, Santa Cruz, ), and
b). Non-Martin-like acoustics
One could also add Gibsons as a third major category, as well.
Another distinction of course is acoustics made by very small guitar makers-luthiers (such as Petros in Kaukauna, WI, for example, who delivers between 15-18 guitars a year), mid-size makers, and big makers, not to mention corporations!
Personally I would go with small, and mid-size guitar makers. They make high-end acoustics, with emphasis to small details and extremely high quality. By owning one of these acoustics you know that you get a unique hand-made guitar, usually extremely expensive, but with sound (you know what I mean)! and personality.

I currently own a Goodall (Rosewood Concert Jumbo model), that I hand-picked from our local music store "Acoustic Roots"
http://www.medleynet.com/acousticroots.html
among tens of other high-end acoustics and frankly I am very happy. This guitar has its own voice and character, it is not a Martin-like (neither looks, nor sound), with tremendous volume and tonal complexity.
This is my only all-wooden guitar, and to be frank it's more than enough!
I would like to hear your comments on the topic, about other acoustics, your experiences, and critiques.
Thank you.

[ April 26, 2002: Message edited by: elias ]
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Beal
Posted 2002-04-26 4:04 PM (#222550 - in reply to #222549)
Subject: Re: Considering a small(er) acoustic guitar maker?

For an alternative all wood consider a Lowden. Irish maker I believe. Definately a non-Martin but a wonderful guitar. There is always the old Gurians, particularly the size 3 that are also very interesting.
You can go in a different direction and choose National Resophonic, a gendre unto itself. While I prefer tha originals (1927-1941) the new ones are outstanding as well. They are the real deal.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2002-04-26 4:16 PM (#222551 - in reply to #222549)

Everybody I know out here in California loves Taylors. I've played some that I liked, but wasn't impressed with most of them. I agree with cwk2 that Lowdens are terrific. At the NAMM show out here I found out that they are coming out with some less expensive models. Very nice guitars. If I was going to buy one tho' I'd spend the big bucks.

I've only played 3 Martins that ever impressed me. One is a 1914 0018 nylon string that I own. The other two were a late 30's D28 and a reproduction of a late 30's D28, played at different times and different stores.

There's a new line of guitars called Legends that I just saw. Evidently, people from Larivee (?) went out on their own. They are nice (as are Larivees).

Beyond that, oddly enough, I like Seagulls from LoSiDo.

Anybody else?

By the way, I've yet to play a Gibson acoustic that I thought was good for anything other than kindling.

[ April 26, 2002: Message edited by: moodypi ]
alpep
Posted 2002-04-26 6:44 PM (#222552 - in reply to #222549)

the only problem with buying a guitar from a little known or small luthier is that you should be prepared to keep it forever or to take a loss on it if you sell it. I know a guy that had a turner for a about 5 years before he could sell it and then he took a loss and he was a vendor.

if you find a guitar and are in love with it there is not a problem but I just wanted to tell you that this may happen.
musicamex
Posted 2002-04-26 8:40 PM (#222553 - in reply to #222549)

good point al, and to add to that, a guitar bought from a country of origen or maker that has either a good or bad general reputation can make a difference in how easy it is to sell. example korean guitars or mexican guitars. sure both countries pump out major quantities of bad to basic low end guitars and that stigma carries through to small minority of instruments, musicians would recognize as quality, that are also produced in the same country. i have a few pretty nice mexican classicals as well as a mid level spanish guitar. the mexican guitars blow the espanol away and even cost 4 times as much. but they wouldn't bring half as much on e bay.

not that i would sell one of mylittle "family". some guitars have priceless memories attached to them. my a.dotras cordoba from barcelona i bought there in 1967. DC has been played and dragged around many a mile. probably worth about $100 with a vintage case but NFS at any price.

any of the rest of ya'll got a favorite old beater you take out and dust off and admire? [and then put it away and go pick up your ovation and and play that nostalgic tune the way you wished it had sounded in the "pre O" days]
Bradley
Posted 2002-04-26 10:40 PM (#222554 - in reply to #222549)

By the way, I've yet to play a Gibson acoustic that I thought was good for anything other than kindling.

You must have snuck into my house and played my J-200 :rolleyes:

Bradley
Nils
Posted 2002-04-27 12:16 AM (#222555 - in reply to #222549)

Breedlove Guitars are made in a little town about 50 miles from here. I would like to try one sometime but they're out of my price range.

http://www.breedloveguitars.com/main.html

Nils
elias
Posted 2002-04-27 2:18 PM (#222556 - in reply to #222549)

Thanks for the replies guys!
Bottom line: if you really like the guitar, whatever the cost or the maker (small or mid) go for it. Business aside, sound matters!
alpep
Posted 2002-04-27 6:58 PM (#222557 - in reply to #222549)

elias
I agree with you on that one (imagine that) but I always think as a vendor more than a player. I always seem to have more guitars than I ever need around to play
al
elias
Posted 2002-04-27 7:31 PM (#222558 - in reply to #222549)

Well,..Al,...it doesn't hurt to agree with me sometime ..I guess!
friendly,
elias
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)