The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Elite Special v. Custom Legend

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

E-Man
Posted 2002-04-30 2:08 PM (#222518 - in reply to #222493)
Subject: Re: Elite Special v. Custom Legend

Thanks to all for this unique and entertaining experience. Got most of what I was looking for, still curious about a few things but have enough to go on for this upcoming purchase. Aside from Ebay, are there any good websites for buying used Ovations/Adamas'?

Based on information I have gleaned from this website, and response from you all on my original and follow-up questions, it seems to me that these guitars are subject to face checking/cracking/splitting, strap pegs breaking, questionable electronics, manufacturing standards going downhill over the years, etc.

Are you guys trying to talk me out of buying an Ovation or something?

Last questions... why is Ovation your preference and can someone tell me the last year they made a "good" instrument before the manufacturing standards compromised due to $$?

Thanks again.

E-Man
Top of the page Bottom of the page
cliff
Posted 2002-04-30 2:09 PM (#222519 - in reply to #222493)

"...lather,...rinse,...repeat...."
Jiminos
Posted 2002-04-30 3:47 PM (#222520 - in reply to #222493)

E-Man, I own an Elite Special (mid-depth). I love it. It is a work horse that I play out every weekend. I bought it because of the sound (plugged and un-). I have kids. Hasn't bothered them yet.... I give one prozac and the other ouzo.... and jam to my heart's content..

Seriously, the best advice I've seen here is from Elias..... BUY WITH YOUR EARS! The playability of the two guitars in question is extremely close. There are differences in quality. BUT.... think how you will spend most of your time playing (plugged or unplugged) and listen to the two guitars you are considering the way you will be playing. Buy with your ears.... that will bring you the most satisfaction. Not complying with the opinions written here.... cuz we all have different opinions..... and they're likely different from yours.....
E-Man
Posted 2002-04-30 6:24 PM (#222521 - in reply to #222493)

Thanks Jim. I have a dynamite acoustic for unplugged play (www.robinsong.com). Never thought about mid-bowl. I don't think the local stores even carry them (Guitar Center, Sam Ash) except for Celebrity and maybe Balladeer. Plugged in, the S/Shallow bowl sounds plenty good to me.

I guess plugged in I can make one sound like another through the numerous adjustments on both guitar and amp. Therefore, Custom Legend is probably the best bet. Stronger market value, attractive, better components/features and (in this case anyway) about the same price.

I have played dozens of guitars while deciding on the right purchase. I would be satisfied with most of them in terms of sound and feel. The difference in cost isn't great enough to make a real difference. Therefore, I turn my attention to what makes one better than another (or what makes one more expensive than another).

This group repeatedly tells me not to consider that... just listen, feel, even look in the mirror. Probably what I would say too. Afterall, music is an emotional thing. That's good advice unless one is indifferent among the sounds... and they all feel the same and have an attractive appearance.

Even Ovation will not comment on these issues. I wish they had a local sales presence. These shops don't have a clue but are happy to throw out their best guesses as if they're true. My luthier buddy tells me not to buy a plastic guitar. The fanclub tells me to buy an older, large bowl Ovation or Adamas. Sorry, but I like Ovation and want the shallow bowl. Age doesn't matter but I don't see much used inventory of what I want, at least without noteable flaws.

Jim, I like the Elite Special too. All things logical, however, point to Custom Legend. Your opinion is very much appreciated.

E-Man

PS - I vote for Ativan and Ben&Jerry's... but not for the kids.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2002-04-30 6:34 PM (#222522 - in reply to #222493)

E-Man:
When I go to a guitar store and play the three hot tunes that I know (and that's it -- thank god there's always a turn over of salespeople, otherwise they'd never let me go back), some newbie always comes up and asks what he should buy. I always tell him to buy what puts a smile on his face and makes him feel good. Don't listen to the salespeople. They are selling what they are told to push.

Lastly, I always always always tell them that it's not important that others love my guitars the same way that I do. Others should love their own guitars the same way that I love mine. Can't go wrong with that formula.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2002-04-30 7:55 PM (#222523 - in reply to #222493)

Now that's sensible advice.
elias
Posted 2002-04-30 8:10 PM (#222524 - in reply to #222493)

WoW!!!! You guys have been very busy here!

So ....E-man, what is your conclusion?

Hint: Elite (epaulettes) and Custom Legend (center roundhole) are two different animals. There are both good though. Very good.
You may want to buy one now, the other one later.

Keep playing, keep listening to the sound, trust your ears. The more you play, the more you get exposed, the better judgement you gonna make.
Jiminos
Posted 2002-05-02 10:28 AM (#222525 - in reply to #222493)

The more I think about it, the more I think Bill has the right answer..... buy them both! Why compromise?

[ May 02, 2002: Message edited by: Jiminos ]
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)