The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
electro's v. acoustics

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

Paul Templeman
Posted 2002-04-29 6:51 PM (#222482)
Subject: electro's v. acoustics

With the recent posts on feedback problems & the general dislike for supershallow guitars, here's a few thoughts about Ovations & electro's in general.

Larger body solid-topped guitars sound great and are very satisfying to play unplugged, but are a pain in the ass to amplify at more than moderate volume, unless you want to spend a load of dough on outboards and are a competent sound engineer.

Thin bodied electro's are easier to amplify at high volume but both the acoustic & amplified tone
are compromised.

Pseudo-acoustics like the Viper sound great plugged-in and are almost totally feedback resistant, but have virtually no acoustic sound.

Answer??? One guitar can't be great at both jobs. When you make a guitar ideal for stage it has to involve some compromises in the acoustic sound (I'm talking high volume band stuff here, not an open-mike night at a coffeehouse) Everything that makes a great acoustic fun & satisfying to play acoustically presents problems when you plug it in & turn up the wick. I'm gonna retire all my acoustics to studio duties and buy a bunch of Vipers.

Paul

[ April 29, 2002: Message edited by: Paul Templeman ]
Top of the page Bottom of the page
musicamex
Posted 2002-04-30 9:08 AM (#222483 - in reply to #222482)
Subject: Re: electro's v. acoustics

what makes the new vipers different than a regular solid body? it seems that lots of players really like them from what i'm reading. i guess i've got another one to test drive while i'm back in the states.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2002-04-30 9:39 AM (#222484 - in reply to #222482)

Russ: From what I understand, the bodies have chambers in them that allow them to reproduce a good acoustic sound when plugged in, with no feedback. But there is no sound (like an electric) unplugged.

When are you going to be in L.A.?
alpep
Posted 2002-04-30 9:52 AM (#222485 - in reply to #222482)

a fact that is often overlooked is the viper body is made of wood. it is sound chambered and has very little acoustic sound. great if all you want is acoustic guitar sound in my mutt I posted a pic of early on i have a humbucker and single coil installed to get the best of all worlds sorta like a hamer duotone.
Beal
Posted 2002-04-30 12:58 PM (#222486 - in reply to #222482)

There are two Vipers, the solid bodies of the 70's and the newer 90's solid acoustic. The new solid acoustic does have a wood body and chambers and was develpoed at the same time as the duo-tone. In fact the first preamp was developed by Jol Dantzig
musicamex
Posted 2002-04-30 5:07 PM (#222487 - in reply to #222482)

paul, i should be in la around the 10th of may but only for 3 or four days. i'll be in torrence and will be picking up my truck in altadena. we need to be in santa fe by 5-15. i should have left by now, but the end of the season parties are hard to pass up. am i going to be anywhere near you? we should at least do some chinese if you have the time. (they dont have chinese food even close to canned chung king here. they don't get "it". so i eat as much as i can when in cal.

i like the old vipers bill. i have two of them. unpretentious straight forward and simple. in fact i havent met a hard or solid body ovation that wasn't extreemly good value for the bucks. no, the viper isn't a les paul, but you didn't have that in mind anyway, did you bill? maybe it was too straight ahead, and what ovation is known for is innovation. maybe the new viper has the innovation the old ones didn't have. i hope i eventually run across and have the opportunity to play all of the ovation hb/sb electrics. a gp and pf 22 are on my list but seem to be pretty uncommon. the ukII is my favorite, as with all of the sound options it has, i can go from rollin in my sweet babies arms to spider in the fly with a couple of flicks of the switches. thin and crisp to deep fried in a heartbeat. we play such a mix of music that no other single electric guitar i own is so adaptable.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2002-04-30 5:15 PM (#222488 - in reply to #222482)

Well on the off chance that we do meet, I gotta work on those C and G chords!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)