The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Adamas Q

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

elias
Posted 2002-05-01 9:23 AM (#222423 - in reply to #222398)
Subject: Re: Adamas Q

I agree that currently Rainsong does not represent a threat to Ovation.
I have played the Rainsongs, I was not that impressed. It was not that bad though and many people like them and buy them.

Yet, whenever and if ever, Adamas Q makes it into the market I believe that they should consider Rainsong, and any other composite-guitar maker, as a competitor(s) (not because of fear they may lose the Ovation fans who might switch to Rainsong or else) but they may have a difficulty to convince the independent guitar buyer (the buyer who is not an Ovation fan, and still considers a composite guitar) to go with a $6K Adamas Q than a Rainsong or else for $1,500.

I strongly doubt that Ovation will complete the Adamas Q project any time soon, and if they ever release the product in the market, it will be in very limited numbers, and very expensive. This is my opinion.
In that aspect I think that only some Ovation fans (pros, collectors, etc) will consider to buy the Adamas Q , but nearly nobody else.
I guess that this is exactly what Ovation will target.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Beal
Posted 2002-05-01 10:01 AM (#222424 - in reply to #222398)

Rather than get carried away with explitatives lets put it this way.
Adamas Q = Aston Martin V12 Vanquish (or M-B CL55, or a lambo or...or...)
Rainsong = a worn out Yugo or a Trabant.
elias
Posted 2002-05-01 10:03 AM (#222425 - in reply to #222398)

Are YOU serious?????????
:eek: :confused:
alpep
Posted 2002-05-01 10:04 AM (#222426 - in reply to #222398)

cwk2 all I can do is agree
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2002-05-01 10:07 AM (#222427 - in reply to #222398)

I hope that Ovation's marketing department doesn't blow it on the Q. I think the "point" that most of the Ovation ad's lack is telling people WHY they should buy an Ovation. They used to put more techno stuff in the older ad's but as example, I did not know until a few years agp the UKII wasn't made of wood. It looks like wood, feels like wood. I didn't know the pickups were specially designed, they don't look special unless you know something about pickups. It's the same with the Acoustics... EVEN AFTER YOU OWN an Adamas, there have been at least 3 folks on this board that didn't know how to use the dummy plug on the 1/4 inch jack, and that it works off of phantom power if you have it, self included. These are all SELLING points. Even on the new Viper's, although you see the chambers in the ad, the text doesn't really scream "THIS WILL SOUND LIKE AN ACOUSTIC WHEN YOU PLUG IT IN BECAUSE OF THE CHAMBERS!!!!" (sorry for yelling).
From what I have heard, I think the "Q" is going in the right direction but at this point I think they really need to "sell" the guitar if/when it comes out. After hearing that SlotHead in Jersey recently, I came away with a renewed sence of what Ovation was all about. Keep in mind I have been playing an Ovation since the mid-70's.... I should have gotten it before now.
phaseshift
Posted 2002-05-01 10:22 AM (#222428 - in reply to #222398)

Speaking of the dummy plug.... so far when I've used the XLR jack on my Millennium Adamas, it has been with phantom power. Is the dummy plug that Ovation sells something special, or could I just buy a phone plug at RadioShack for $1.98, never attach a cable to it, and use it as a dummy plug to enable XLR without phantom power?
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2002-05-01 10:26 AM (#222429 - in reply to #222398)

Yes but get the "L" shaped plug so it doesn't protrude.
elias
Posted 2002-05-01 10:46 AM (#222430 - in reply to #222398)

Bill, Al, all I can do is dissagree!,
:p
cliff
Posted 2002-05-01 12:03 PM (#222431 - in reply to #222398)

That's exactly the point I was trying to make in my comment comparing marketing departments. I keep seeing these ads in Acoustic Guitar Magazine touting how Ovation is the "electric player's acoustic". No specs, no details, no description of features, nothing. In that particular publication, it's the type of ad that those particular readers would just pass over without consideration.

With all due respects to Steve Lukather and Melissa Ethridge, I'm pretty damn tired of seeing them as Ovation's "poster children". Celebrity endorsements are one thing, but seemingly "blind" endorsements are another. No mention of WHY they like/use the guitars, no technical specs, description of materials, craftsmanship, HISTORY, or tonal characteristics. Just a big, posed, "rockstar" portrait with a two line catch phrase. I'd be more impressed with heartfelt, descriptive and informative endorsements from unknown, clubgiggers or studio pros who've PAID for 'em, use 'em, and make their living with them.

Seasoned acoustic players may or may not be be up to date with what the "top o' the line" Ovations have to offer (I wasn't). They go into a guitar shop (at least 'round here it's like this) and you see the big displays for the Taylors, Tacomas, Larivees, etc. along with a couple of Korean super shallows and MAYBE a Balladeer. Informative hand-out literature is non-existant.
A lot of these players (a lot of my friends included) come away thinking "Wow, I can remember when Ovation used to be a major contender in the acoustic guitar market, I guess it's not like that anymore".

If/when they ever do decide to put the Q out there, they had better find a legitimate, contemporary endorsee and market this thing right. If it's gonna have technological advancements, they better tout them. If it's gonna sound great, they had better get people to hear what it sounds like.

The Q will no doubt be expensive. If they don't market it right (smart), they might as well call it the QuEdsel.
alpep
Posted 2002-05-01 12:17 PM (#222432 - in reply to #222398)

Advertising is to attract attention and to grab your interest. I am not sure if modern advertising even cares to give an information and that applies to all types of products. did you ever watch a tv ad and wonder what they were trying to sell. well I have and at least when I see an Ovation Ad I know what they are selling. The ad catches your interest and then you go to the website (if it is up to date) or to a store (and few vendors have ALL models in all configurations) and you try to get information. Or you find a website like this and questions and get opinions.

Elias
I believe I have found the perfect goal for you. Start the rainsongfanclub.com website You can work on presenting their history and getting together owners users and endorsers. I cannot speak for Miles but I would be more than happy to give you any tips or information that would help this goal to fruition. This way others that share your view can come together in an open forum to pontificate the value of their instruments.
elias
Posted 2002-05-01 12:23 PM (#222433 - in reply to #222398)

Al, is that you?
:D
No way Jose!
I'll stay here with ya!
I know you need me! :D
he, he, he, he.
check out my new topic: How other (Ovation opponents) people feel about Ovation guitars?
Beal
Posted 2002-05-01 2:54 PM (#222434 - in reply to #222398)

Oh well, we disagree. I respect your opinion, you respect mine.
By the way, there was an Aston Martin V12 Vanquish parked out in front of the gas station today. A totally beautiful automobile. I'd rather have that any day over a rainsong.
samova
Posted 2002-05-01 3:29 PM (#222435 - in reply to #222398)

Bill, was it parked in a parking space marked "CWK2 parking only" ?? LOL
cliff
Posted 2002-05-01 3:48 PM (#222436 - in reply to #222398)

Yeah, and then Pierce Brosnan asked him to move it.
musicamex
Posted 2002-05-01 5:15 PM (#222437 - in reply to #222398)

sheeeeeeeezzz i just remembered how my "coastal" blue ford diesel is going to fit in with those fancy rigs back in amer-rica. an aston martin v-12? god, i've been living in the third world too long. i promise never to mention that r word if i can just have my picture taken in it. actually i never even knew a rainsong was a guitar. i do eat with a fork and spoon sometimes and always belch into my napkin------pass the hot sauce amigos.
Beal
Posted 2002-05-01 7:22 PM (#222438 - in reply to #222398)

Wasn't mine unfortunately, was the guy who owns Winn-Dixie. I had the blue 59 caddy today and it got almost as many looks.
alpep
Posted 2002-05-01 7:32 PM (#222439 - in reply to #222398)

OK it must be car day today I took out my 68 pontiac catalina ragtop and the top WOULD NOT GO DOWN... damn just what I need another job. as soon as I get my garage built, it is going into the shop to get painted and I am getting the bumpers rechromed then the dual exhausts...hmmmm maybe I need to sell a few guitars now that I come to think of it...

[ May 01, 2002: Message edited by: alpep ]
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)