The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
adamas description on e bay

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

alpep
Posted 2002-05-01 7:07 PM (#222290)
Subject: adamas description on e bay

this one made me chuckle .....

One 2000 Adamas 1597 by Ovation! Mint condition with OHSC! This madee in U.S.A beauty features a solid spruce top with oakleaf soundhole accents, med. depth bowl back, a mahogany neck with maple/rosewood stripe

If you don;t get it sign up for Adamas 101 next semester
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jiminos
Posted 2002-05-01 7:14 PM (#222291 - in reply to #222290)
Subject: Re: adamas description on e bay

how come i don't get a spruce top on my 1597????
Beal
Posted 2002-05-01 7:19 PM (#222292 - in reply to #222290)

Just shows to go ya how confused people get by all the different models fed by their basic misunderstanding of the Ovation concept.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2002-05-01 11:59 PM (#222293 - in reply to #222290)

I was just reading/browsing Musicians Friend and looking at the Ovation section. To the unknowing, and only going by descriptions, it would seem that Ovations fall into two basic categories.. round-hole and leaf-hole. If you pay real close attention, you can also note that the price depends on the top. Graphite is the most expensive, and I guess color of the wood tops changes the prices of the other models. The only USA built Ovation, seems to be the Balladeer as it is the only one labelled as MADE IN USA, which means the Melissa signature Adamas must be foriegn made as well. The prices range from $299 - $1,899 so it's pretty obvious the $1,899 foriegn made Adamas you are paying for the signature and the "inlaid Melissa Thingy."

Yes I know the above is not accurate, but it is what I would believe if I read the ad from one of the largest (if not the largest) distributers of musical instruments in the world and that's all I had to go on.

In fairness, I looked at the Martin & Co. pages.. Well these are more conventional looking guitars, and there seems to be two basic price ranges... Just looking at the pictures shows quite a variety in woods, finishes and some with electronics also. Only one of the more expensive guitars is labelled as being made in PA (that's in the USA) but it looks like lots of variety in the 600-900 dollar range. I think I'll buy a Martin.

sorry folks.. I'm just in a mood...
musicamex
Posted 2002-05-02 3:57 AM (#222294 - in reply to #222290)

hey miles old buddy, i have a nice 67 one owner martin 0018ny with 15 year old strings on it i would trade for one of those round plastic guitars with a sparkely top. you know the ones with the cigar holder slots in the peg head.

what the hell time is it anyway!!!!????? i'm going back to bed.

ps i dont mind if it is one of those made in 1597 either unless the plastic has gotten brittle. i've always wanted a vintage guitar to take to the flock meetings.

[ May 02, 2002: Message edited by: musicamex ]
cliff
Posted 2002-05-02 9:20 AM (#222295 - in reply to #222290)

Maybe the IRS should contract Musician's Friend to send out the tax refund checks. That way, everyone would get their check on the SAME DAY (like the catalogs)! It'd also make things "easier" as you could just have them keep the refund and apply it to your guitar purchase (although, I could NEVER buy a guitar through mailorder).

Is M'sF the mailorder clearinghouse for Guitar Center? I seem to remember awhile ago looking on GC's webpage about something and they linked me directly to M'sF to order it.

The guys in my band SWEAR by M'sF and order stuff all the time from them (and wait and wait just to find out it's no longer available or that the guitar stand wasn't what they "thoght it would be").

I guess I'm just "old fashioned". I like the experience of walking into the store, looking, seeing, touching, feeling, listening, smelling, (no tasting - yet), plunking down my hard-earned ruples and carrying my new "toy" out to my car and homeward bound to "play" instead of waiting at home clawing at the picture window waiting for the licensed gorilla in the brown shirt from UPS to show up. (No offense to any UPS employees that may be out there - I once worked in the UPS "hub" in Parsippany, NJ loading/unloading trucks - by hand - at the required rate of 1,200 - 1,500 packages per hour and learned that the definition of "FRAGILE" means that they "bounce" better! You haven't lived until you've witnessed someone "hurl" a 17" computer monitor the length of a trailer!!)

I compared the same ads last night as well, Miles.
Incredulous, isn't it?
You'd think that if they were gonna "hawk" the new "Melissa" model, they'd at least show the WHOLE guitar (and not just a quarter of it)!
Even the Takamine ad was more varied and informative than it's "sister" ad across from it.

If Ovation was "smart", they'd invest in some full page "no nonsense" ads with just representations of the entire product line with at least some BASIC "specs" so people could see, compare, and least be able to differentiate a Legend from an Applause.

"An educated consumer is our best customer"
- Sy Syms (local joke)
Jiminos
Posted 2002-05-02 10:22 AM (#222296 - in reply to #222290)

So... did Musician's Friend get their mailing list from here? (just kiddin' Al) I got one of theier catalogs, too. First place I looked was at the O's.... second place was the Martins. Go figure. Do the guitar makers have any input in the ad layout or is that strictly a M's F decision? If it is strictly a M's F thing... could that indicate a bias against O's there, as well?

just thinkin....
alpep
Posted 2002-05-02 11:00 AM (#222297 - in reply to #222290)

let me assure everyone that we do not give out any e mail or snail mail addresses or info to anyone for any advertising or any other reason.
As for musician's friend. they do have deals but don;t cry when your item breaks and you go to take it to your local shop and it is no longer there any more. Many small shops have trouble competing with the mail order and the large chains I am a small mail order guy and I have trouble competing. that is why I go with the niche market. I don't try to be everything for everyone.
I looked at my catalog this morning and saw that a major manufacturer lowered the price of a guitar well I have 2 in stock and I called the salesman and flipped out on him. I will still break even on the guitars but a price reduction and the introduction of a solid top on an istrumnt that was lamenated just was not what I was expecting. Anyway what can you do? as a retailer nothing but suck it in and take the loss.
Remember there is a reason why their initials are M F.
musicamex
Posted 2002-05-02 12:29 PM (#222298 - in reply to #222290)

ok miles, playing hard to get? i'll throw in a new set of martin strings to boot. LOL
cliff
Posted 2002-05-02 12:43 PM (#222299 - in reply to #222290)

psssssttt!!!

Hey, Russ;

I'll bet if you throw in one of those orange plastic peg winder thingys and one of them rooty-toot-toot pitch pipe tuners, he might "bite"!!
Beal
Posted 2002-05-02 3:38 PM (#222300 - in reply to #222290)

Maybe put one of those Melissa thingies on it too. That would get my attention.
musicamex
Posted 2002-05-02 4:28 PM (#222301 - in reply to #222290)

the right thingie or the left thingie?

think she'd mind?

[ May 02, 2002: Message edited by: musicamex ]
moody, p.i.
Posted 2002-05-02 4:32 PM (#222302 - in reply to #222290)

Guess it depends on which way it hangs.

Has anybody else noticed that this forum is all guys?
alpep
Posted 2002-05-02 4:43 PM (#222303 - in reply to #222290)

moody
a few women have registered but as far as I know have not participated.
cliff
Posted 2002-05-02 5:22 PM (#222304 - in reply to #222290)

...goes to show that women ARE the smarter sex!
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2002-05-02 10:40 PM (#222305 - in reply to #222290)

Originally posted by musicamex:
hey miles old buddy, i have a nice 67 one owner martin 0018ny with 15 year old strings on it i would trade for one of those round plastic guitars with a sparkely top.

Uh... geee I dunno... lemme think on it.. :)

I buy most everything online. I rarely go to stores anymore. I spent most of my career in customer service and pretty much hate the "shopping" experience. I occationally go to the mall to buy something, but it's "in and out." (refrain guys.. it's too easy). we even order our Papa Johns and Dominos online (I don't like phones much either).

I have three main sources online for music gear and MF is one of'em. Onlinestagegear.com, and 8thstreetmusic.com are the others. eBay of course always my first choice if I can get what I need at the price I am willing to pay.

I still like browsing pawn shops for deals, but not much else. Nothing like spending 30-40 minutes in a car to go 10 miles, to fight for a parking space, to deal with an idiot to find out they don't have what I want, but if they did it doesn't really matter..... I could have ordered it online cheaper and save enough to have it shipped next day, so I see it when I wake up in the morning.

Here's a good example with no exageration... I needed a set of cheap but good tubes to test a porta-flex. I decided to do this yesterday at about 4:00pm. I called around and I would not have been able to hit the TWO stores to get all of the tubes by closing yesterday. I went online, found a place in TX that was selling the same tubes for about 30% less as I would have paid locally. They were here at 10:30am this morning. And a bonus... my UPS gal is cute.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)