The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
In a similar vein...

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

Jiminos
Posted 2002-05-02 2:35 PM (#222279)
Subject: In a similar vein...

it's interesting to me to note how well versed Ovation players are when it comes to other makes and models of guitars. (Not me..... I'm not even sure what wood is made of...) People here seem to deal in specifics when speaking of guitars. Kudos.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
alpep
Posted 2002-05-02 2:46 PM (#222280 - in reply to #222279)
Subject: Re: In a similar vein...

well in my personal collection are 2 martins a 34 national, a guild, a 35 epiphone broadway, 37 d angelico, and I sell other types of acoustic guitars other than ovation so I think I know a little about other guitars.
Beal
Posted 2002-05-02 3:30 PM (#222281 - in reply to #222279)

Isn't wood made from compressed tamale wrappers?

Because we've made other than the typical choices in guitars, this group has in general a broader perspective on the guitar subject than the taylor-hugging-alfalfa-dingle-berry-crunch ice cream eaters. (sorry, been saving that one for a while, thought it might be a good time to use it)
Jiminos
Posted 2002-05-02 3:42 PM (#222282 - in reply to #222279)

does this mean I have to sell my alfalfa-dingle berry crunch ice cream????? :(

sniff... sniff.... i need to go hug some tamale wrappers.
musicamex
Posted 2002-05-02 3:50 PM (#222283 - in reply to #222279)

i think most of us old farts had to start out with wooden guitars. except for a few really old timers who had a turtle shell with an ardvarrk hide stretched over it. for them ovations were just like the old days. and besides the guys drawn to ovations are open minded and i'll bet the average ovation owner has a pretty interesting resume regarding different paths in life. from the diverse interests and sharp wit i sense on this board i think perhaps an ovation owner/ player/ afficionado is more intellegent and innovative than the average dyed in the wool "brand loyal" sheep out there.

i would also bet most of us own woodies (and chromies) too because they are also pretty cool in their own right. does my 0018ny martin sound good-----yes. does it stay in tune well or travel well, or hold up to gigging well--not as well as my ovations. for the small time performing musician who doesn't have a roadie or two and a small herd of taylors and martins lined up on stage, ovations are the best bang for the buck. i am not very up on how used guitars hold their value, but that has more to do with those sheep out there. it seems evolution of thinking didn't keep up with evolution of guitar design. people were the same about their horses when cars were invented. they didn't even want to learn about cars. it represented something new that threatened their way of life. now fine cars and fine horses go hand in hand.

the first time i played an ovation back in the early 70's i knew i had something special in my hands. until i used one for awhile i didn't realize how special they really were. the same money will buy you a AA fuel dragster or a 500 class benz. both are cool to the max but i know what i would want for the long haul.

wood, well from my former training as a chemist i can tell you it is primarily cellulose, the basis for some of the earliest plastics---------
musicamex
Posted 2002-05-02 4:14 PM (#222284 - in reply to #222279)

that stuff is easy to sell jim. all of the sheep eat it. just don't get caught eating it here. ovation guys are into hand cranked original flavors.

good line bill, and i think when we finish the double neck stainless sink resonator project a pressed tamale wrapper round back with a tamale burst finish could be a real first (and likely a last). we need a crew to come down to assemble materials and experiment with finishes. volunteers?? how many fit in a 59 caddy bill?
Jiminos
Posted 2002-05-02 4:25 PM (#222285 - in reply to #222279)

count me in.... i'll make sure the tamale wrappers are empty.....
Beal
Posted 2002-05-02 8:49 PM (#222286 - in reply to #222279)

You're on the team Jim, Let's try to put three fins on a caddy
Beal
Posted 2002-05-03 8:55 AM (#222287 - in reply to #222279)

With all due respect, the alfafa-dingle-berry-crunch came from Russ. I just had to use it. This must have come from the sheep herding days, did it Russ?
Jiminos
Posted 2002-05-03 10:42 AM (#222288 - in reply to #222279)

how about fins on the FRONT of the caddy?
musicamex
Posted 2002-05-03 9:38 PM (#222289 - in reply to #222279)

whew what a long day!!

im glad you added "taylor hugging" to the sheep flavor of the month. just another seed like the tamale wrapper you planted. that's a muy buena thing about this site. it can be an avalanche of light funny stuff that starts as a little snow ball.

time to hit the sack
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)