The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Long Neck

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

moody, p.i.
Posted 2002-05-06 8:13 PM (#222156)
Subject: Long Neck

On to a new subject!

Who here has played / owned a longneck? I think that they are one of the coolest guitars.

Also, how much difference between the Celeb and the Ovation longnecks? Wood looks good on both.

cwk2, was there every any thought to do an Adamas longneck, a la Preston Reed's guitar?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
alpep
Posted 2002-05-06 8:46 PM (#222157 - in reply to #222156)
Subject: Re: Long Neck

Paul
I have played a longneck. It is a very cool guitar but not really for me. The guitar had a massive sound and just seemed to ring out. I think this was due to more area on the top vibraing. Oh yeah the one I played was a 12.
I have enough trouble playing in standard tuning let alone dropping it down a couple of frets.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2002-05-06 8:56 PM (#222158 - in reply to #222156)

A 12 string long neck? I've never heard of that. You could get the same effect by using medium gauge strings and tuning down. Leo Kottke goes all the way down to a C.

Was the 12 a prototype?
alpep
Posted 2002-05-06 10:03 PM (#222159 - in reply to #222156)

come to think of it yes it probably is a prototype. the guy that currently owns it is a member of the board so maybe if he reads this he can elaborate.
scootertrs
Posted 2002-05-07 7:15 AM (#222160 - in reply to #222156)

I have had one for about a month now... great Tone... great action... and as far as I am concerned, it allows me to sing some of the Clapton tunes (he has such an odd key he sings in normally-way too high for me, but the additional two frets make all the difference) without rearranging the chord sequence or reinventing the wheel.

I tried the detuning route, but I had to get the action so high (so that it would not rattle)that it was uncomfortable.

Maybe it is because of the pickup or the bridge placement, but even while playing straight acoustic it still out sings many other much more expensive guitars.

In addition, if I want to go E tune, then all I do is add a Capo to my second fret.

I cannot see where you could go wrong... the electronics are totally quiet when not being played, the looks are killer, weight and balance is just right, and as stated before, action and tone is excellent. Just remember to replace the cheap 1/4" jack with a quality one... see other post.

Good Luck
Beal
Posted 2002-05-07 9:18 AM (#222161 - in reply to #222156)

That's the idea, tune down two steps and get a big sound. Tune it to D and the string tension is the same. Go a little heavier on the string guage and drop it down further. 14 frets and the bridge back in the top like a 12 fret. Want to play with the band, just capo at the second and have a 12 fret guitar.
The first ones we made were Adamas. 4 of them. Then Preston's and then a couple more. A silver one Adrian used for a while that I have now. We made a few 12 string Adamas long necks and I think one went to Mel. I've got one, a black one.
When it went into production it got a spruce top rather than being an Adamas. This way it was more affordable. Once again the commercial aspects getting in the way of advancing the art. But I can't bitch too much, I made this decision.
I'm unaware of the celebrity version, wonder if it has a solid top??
Beal
Posted 2002-05-07 9:23 AM (#222162 - in reply to #222156)

Another point on the Adamas longboys. You can always spot them because they have a belly button. The top has two tooling holes for when it is made, one under the neck and one under the bridge. With moving the bridge back the hole was exposed. Too expensive to change the tooling so we stuck one of the neck inlays over it, hence the belly button look. The spruce don't have this since the tops are routed a different way.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)