The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Thunderhead pickups

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

moody, p.i.
Posted 2002-05-06 9:33 PM (#222150)
Subject: Thunderhead pickups

Talk to me about Thunderhead pickups. I've decided that my next guitar might be a blonde or sunburst Thunderhead, but I don't know anything about the pickups. Single coil? Double coil? Are they like Ovation solid bodis and propriotary in size?

Anybody???
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paul Templeman
Posted 2002-05-07 3:10 AM (#222151 - in reply to #222150)
Subject: Re: Thunderhead pickups

Paul, Those pickups were made by Schaller I believe. I have a Tornado & the pickups look like humbuckers (2 rows of pole-piece screws) but the output is pretty low & they sound like single coils, so without talking a cover off it's difficult to be certain. I'd go with my ears and say the were single coils. They are very slightly bigger than the later Ovation pickups & the mounting screws are spaced differently, so they aren't direct replacements, as I found out when I decided to install a Preacher pickup in the bridge position of the Tornado.

Paul
Bluebird
Posted 2002-05-07 5:23 AM (#222152 - in reply to #222150)

Paul, most of the Thunderhead pickups were Dearmond humbuckers...the Tornado had single coil Schallers.
Beal
Posted 2002-05-07 9:28 AM (#222153 - in reply to #222150)

The Thunderhead were DeArmond and I think they were single coils. A very similar pickup was used on some of the Gretch and Guild models. They sound good. The Toronado had Schaller pickups
I don't think there were any considerations given to the size of the semis and the solids.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)