The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Ovation-Please don't cheap out on your 1/4" phono jacks

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

scootertrs
Posted 2002-05-07 7:18 AM (#222135)
Subject: Ovation-Please don't cheap out on your 1/4" phono jacks

I believe my new (reads less than 30 days old) Celebrity Longneck is my finest, cleanest, sweetest sounding guitar I have played recently, that is why I was so concerned about an embarrasing cutting out problem I encountered. I am very grateful to all respondents to my other post, but specially to Paul Templeman who believed my problem was my 1/4" phono jack.

When I took out the inspection cover and felt around the jack, I could feel the terminals on my jack moving about. When I took the jack out, I knew that there was the culprit. A cheap, plastic jack with barely enough tension in the contacts to keep the plug in place. All this in such a fine instrument. I sought out the stereo Switchcraft jack as Paul recommended and put it in the original's place. PROBLEM SOLVED! If you compare the Switchcraft stereo jack with the factory original, you can see, feel, weigh the difference. When your cord plug goes into this jack, you know it is there to stay until you remove it... it is built well.

I am longingly considering a Melissa 12 and I can guarantee, that one of the first things I will check to see after purchase is which jack does it have. If plastic, like Celebrity, I already have a second Switchcraft jack standing by. (I am just optimistic that I will have a need to use it... translation... bought the Melissa)

Please understand, I am not trying to put Ovation down (Obvious since I am longing for a Melissa 12), I know it was just a business decision that they made on a component that is only a very small percentage of the entire instrument cost... yet in the future they need to remember, the jack is the only thing holding that cord in place as you move about on stage and is critical for reliable performance.

Hope this helps and keeps someone from having an embarrasing and unintended "silent pause" on stage!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Beal
Posted 2002-05-07 9:06 AM (#222136 - in reply to #222135)
Subject: Re: Ovation-Please don't cheap out on your 1/4" phono jacks

I would suspect that the USA made guitars would have better quality parts than the imports. Call the factory and find out. I agree that there's nothing more frustrating than a big problem caused by a little corner cutting.
alpep
Posted 2002-05-07 9:33 AM (#222137 - in reply to #222135)

Unfortunately I believe that the switchcraft stuff is now made in Mexico and when that decision was made I thiink the quality of the parts went down some. Although I am not sure what jacks ovation is currently using for production
Beal
Posted 2002-05-07 10:15 AM (#222138 - in reply to #222135)

Actually the Ovation preamps have been made in Mexico for 15 or more years. One of those Tequilidoro programs. Nothing wrong with Mexico as one of our own can attest to. It's those places where they serve cat and dog and chilled monkey brains you gotta watch.
phaseshift
Posted 2002-05-07 10:49 AM (#222139 - in reply to #222135)

So true. Hot monkey brains are much tastier. :eek:
alpep
Posted 2002-05-07 10:59 AM (#222140 - in reply to #222135)

There is also a problem with the 3 way position switches that are coming out of Mexico. There are not an inferior product compared to some of the Asian poviders but they do have reliability issues. I have a stash of old USA made stuff so whenever I have a problem I just swap them out. Funny if you make stuff too well and it lasts nearly forever you cannot sell any more product.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2002-05-07 6:58 PM (#222141 - in reply to #222135)

The current USA Ovations use a jack with a plastic casing, It seems pretty rugged & up to the job. The guitars with an XLR & a 1/4 use a plastic jack mounted onto a PCB, again it seems pretty sturdy. Even the best of these can wear out suprisingly quickly & it's more reasonable to take a pop at the manufacturer of the component than the guitar. The imported guitars because of what they are, will not necessarily have the materials, build quality or consistency of the USA guitars, but that does not make them bad instruments. The jack sockets are most likely bought in from a third party, it's the supplier's quality control that is in question here.

Paul
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)