The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
preamps

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

cliff
Posted 2002-05-16 8:41 AM (#221915)
Subject: preamps

My Custom Balladeer has an FET-3 preamp in it (at least that's what it says on the volume knob).

What are the advantages of the Optima pre-amps?

Is it it physically possible to upgrade it in the existing guitar body?

Any ideas on cost?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
alpep
Posted 2002-05-16 8:54 AM (#221916 - in reply to #221915)
Subject: Re: preamps

Cliff I am almost sure the optima will slip right in. As for cost contact the service dept for a price on the pramp.
As for advantages I think you will have better control on your overall sound and ultimately I the newer preamps sound better. You will also have an on board tuner.
Beal
Posted 2002-05-16 10:29 AM (#221917 - in reply to #221915)

The OP-24 and the FET-3 were interchangable. I THINK the optima is too but not sure. Ask Budney
alpep
Posted 2002-05-16 2:03 PM (#221918 - in reply to #221915)

I think I swapped an op 24 for an optima once so looks like it will work.
cliff it is not a hard swap to do if you need help make a road trip down here and I will give you a hand.
Morse
Posted 2002-05-16 7:13 PM (#221919 - in reply to #221915)

My Adamas II has the old two knob style affair. What is the story with this and can it (or should it) be updated with the newer model? And, can it be done without compromising the integrity of the bowl, or using the existing knobs instead of the new small style controls?
Paul Templeman
Posted 2002-05-16 7:26 PM (#221920 - in reply to #221915)

The newer preamps have more bells & whistles, they have comparatively sophisticated EQ & the latest models have a feedback notch & an onboard tuner, all of which can be achieved easily and arguably better with outboard gear. While it's absolutely possible to install a newer preamp without affecting the structural integrity & probably the value, I'd leave your guitar as it is & buy an external EQ. Those old wooden knobs look so cool it would be a shame to lose them.

Paul
Beal
Posted 2002-05-16 7:31 PM (#221921 - in reply to #221915)

I agree, leave it be. It can be done but involves cutting and gluing the holder and repainting the bowl. Alot of work to take away the originality and doesn't get you all that much.
I've always liked two knobs myself.
alpep
Posted 2002-05-16 9:41 PM (#221922 - in reply to #221915)

<>

agreed.

leave the guitar alone buy another ..
Morse
Posted 2002-05-16 10:32 PM (#221923 - in reply to #221915)

Seems to be a consensus here.... I agree that the two wooden knobs are WAY cool. I wouldn't really consider cutting into the bowl, but I thought maybe there's a way to upgrade using the existing knobs as controls. Not that big a deal, though. I really wouldn't want to have to add a 9v battery compartment, etc. It was an offhand thought. Thanks, guys!
songsender
Posted 2002-06-03 10:50 PM (#221924 - in reply to #221915)

I guess I'll take the different road here....

I have a 1983 Adamas (1) that I have used on stage since purchasing it new. I was not happy with the preamp configuration after hearing the new Optima series a few years ago. This became even more evident to me after I purchased a Custom Legend 12-string with this pickup in it.

Since I play both guitars equally throughout a gig, I liked the idea of having both guitars have the same preamp setup... this would allow me to share a channel on my mixer and use a wireless setup between the 2 guitars... without having to adjust the gain. I just purchased a 2nd transmitter for my wireless... and both guitars would match quite well.

So.... I sent my Adamas to the Ovation factory... and for a fee (I think it was around $300+) I had the new electronics installed.

When the guitar came back, you couldn't tell where the old holes were. I would almost swear that had put on a completely new bowl... but I know they didn't. It is beautiful! ... and for my application, I am MORE than happy with the decision I made.

The cool thing is that I have this zip-lock baggie with all the old parts in it... stored for safe keeping and dust collecting.

I'm not planning on ever getting rid of this guitar, so I figure I can do what I want with it... and not worry too much about the "market value".

happy playing!

paul
www.wheezetones.com
moody, p.i.
Posted 2002-06-03 11:38 PM (#221925 - in reply to #221915)

I, on the other hand, with an old Country Artist and a two knobber Elite, bought a Fishman Pro EQ which both get played thru. I'm very happy with that decision. Different strokes.
canoewoman
Posted 2002-06-04 4:59 AM (#221926 - in reply to #221915)

Two WOOD knobs? Did Ovation put lucite or acrylic knobs on some models? My CC53 has two black and transparent lucite-looking knobs. Have they been replaced? Or, are youall talking about electric guitars here?

Also and incidentally, I just gpt a black Bird of Paradise capo yesterday -- looks like it was designed for an Ovation, what with its black finish and rounded edges! Any of you have any opinions on them? It seems to work really well; even Oldan says he likes it and will likely get himself one.
alpep
Posted 2002-06-04 7:17 AM (#221927 - in reply to #221915)

the wood knobs were used on the early adamas guitars and maybe some of the early elites also.

I have one of those bird of paradise things and it seems to work ok but I NEVER use a capo so I guess I am not a good judge I have often thought of trying then kyser since that seems to be the capo du jour of many players.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2002-06-04 8:26 AM (#221928 - in reply to #221915)

For the first year of production, the Elite model 1537 had the same stereo electronics as did the Adamas, and had the two wooden knobs. After that, the Elites went the way of OP-24. The two knobber Elites are very cool and I would never change it, although every time I have to go in thru the back to change the battery, I swear that I'm going to put an exteranl battery port in. I won't tho'. I don't want to change it at all.

As an interesting side note on all Ovation two knobbers (Adamas and Elites), the mark on the guitar for zero output is a wood marker which is the same type as the fret markers on that particular guitar. So the Elite, Adamas, and Adamas II are all different in their volume / control zero output markers. That may be more trivia than most people want.

And Canoewoman, the Celebrity that you own also has two knobs, but it is a different pickup system and electronics than the old Elites and Adamaii. And if memory serves, it has the same type of knobs (plastic, look like a top hat) as the old solid body electrics. Very cool in it's own way.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)