The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 123
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Glen Campbell Bluebird

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

moody, p.i.
Posted 2002-05-20 6:49 PM (#221789)
Subject: Glen Campbell Bluebird

I'm surprised that nobody here has bid on the Glen Campbell Bluebird that is up for sale on ebay. It looks to be in good shape. But it also brings up a question.

It has the same humbucking pickups as the Deacan and Preacher, but no panel on the back for the battery. Does that mean that the pickups can be used in a non-active manner? Anybody know about these?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Beal
Posted 2002-05-20 8:03 PM (#221790 - in reply to #221789)
Subject: Re: Glen Campbell Bluebird

Pickups are non active. The electronics are active. The early 6 strings must have had passive electronics. later when we used the preecher deluxe electronics they were active. These have a larger pickguard. The early ones have just about the same shape as the Viper, Sound right to you? Is that what the ebay one looks like?
Paul Templeman
Posted 2002-05-20 8:05 PM (#221791 - in reply to #221789)

Paul, I bought a Breadwinner about a year ago, it was in poor shape but it was cheap. It's fully restored now. Anyway it turned out that the neck pickup had a cheap shitty single coil under the Ovation chrome cover. I sent the neck pickup cover & the intact bridge pickup to Kent Armstrong's company in Wales (son of the legendary Dan Armstrong), who manufactured a replica. He did a great job. I suggested to him that the pickup may have been a low impedance design but he said not. I could be wrong but it would appear that the Breadwinner, Deacon & Preacher have the same pickup. It's the circuitry that makes the difference, the pickups will work with or without the actives. Maybe Bill could confirm. Whoops, he already has!!!

[ May 20, 2002: Message edited by: Paul Templeman ]
Beal
Posted 2002-05-20 8:09 PM (#221792 - in reply to #221789)

already did. Yes it was the same pickup on all three (the breadwinner started with something different)
Paul Templeman
Posted 2002-05-20 8:18 PM (#221793 - in reply to #221789)

Paul, as for bidding on that guitar, I think the price is going to put off all but diehard GC fans. It's a shame to think that a guitar like that will probably go to a non-player. I'd love to own one but a $2K starting price for what is essentially a Viper with a fancy finish doesn't tempt me.

Paul
moody, p.i.
Posted 2002-05-20 8:36 PM (#221794 - in reply to #221789)

In response to Bill, the pickups are the same that I've seen on all Bluebirds. They appear to be interchangable with the Viper pickups.
Bluebird
Posted 2002-05-20 10:26 PM (#221795 - in reply to #221789)

I'm no expert on the Bluebird guitars but I have a couple so here is what I do know:
Any 6-string Bluebirds I have seen or seen in pictures, video, etc., have appeared to have non-active electronics. Mine, and the one on Ebay now, has the Preacher type pickups although it has the large, 12-string type guard. It also has dual input jacks (one is stereo) and a coil tap switch. The Roger Winfield owned Bluebird on Ebay a few months ago had UK2 pickups, which the seller claimed to be original, as well as the viper size pickguard.
The six-string Bluebird that most Campbell fans have seen (on the video 'Live at the Royal Festival Hall, London') had a preacher pickup in the neck position but a VIPER pickup in the bridge. I do believe it also had the larger guard.
My 12-string 'bird has the large guard, an active electronics system identical to the Deacons and Preacher Deluxes, with the notch filter, out-of-phase setting. All other BB 12's I have seen had the same configuration.
As for the 'bird currently on Ebay, it has sustained some in-flight damage due to improper decompression of the cargo hold (?) at one time, which may be holding back some bidders. According to the owner it is just a finish crack that runs from the 'burst to the bridge, over the bird decal, but it looks fairly obvious in the picture, almost like a brownish line.
And don't assume someone can't play because they're a Campbell fan . . . he inspired many a young 'un to pick up a guitar (Ovation's!) and some of us, er, I mean them, are doing OK!

Wayne
moody, p.i.
Posted 2002-05-20 11:32 PM (#221796 - in reply to #221789)

Wayne:
That was real interesting regarding the pickups on Campbell's Bluebird that he played at Festival Hall in 77. I'll have to take a look at the album and look at the pickups.
I have seen him play two other BB 12's. One only had a pickup in the bridge position. The other I only remember had a plain neck, no fancy inlays or binding.
By the way, do I owe you two videos from a year ago?
Paul
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2002-05-21 2:21 AM (#221797 - in reply to #221789)

One point that folks seem to overlook about these guitars is that the body is NOT wood like the Viper, but the same polysomething as the UKII. I think this is actually the most important point about the guitar, but what do I know.

I think the UKII pickups would be more desirable than the Preacher pickups by a long shot. I have been waffling back'n forth in my head on this guitar and also the previous one, and I keep coming up with it's a cool Viper. Based on the body construction, and the rare paint, I still can't seem to get much past $500 worth of justification. Anything more is for the leftover Glen-sweat that might be on it.

I hope I don't insult anyone but here are some comparison questions running through my head..

- Is a Viper shaped guitar with a poly body, preacher pickups and a cool paintjob worth more than a Viper 12, Preacher 12, Deacon 12 or Hurricane?

- Is a Viper shaped guitar with a poly body, preacher pickups and a cool paintjob worth more than a set neck PF-22 or Ultra GP?

- Does the fact that Glen Campbell played the guitar (if he indeed did play this one) add $1,500.00-$2,000.00 to its value?

I think the person who answers the third question with a "YES" will own the guitar, and probably no one else.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2002-05-21 3:49 AM (#221798 - in reply to #221789)

No offence, I was not suggesting that GC fans can't play, I would consider myself a minor GC fan & have made most of my living over the last 20-od years as a guitarist. I meant that at that price the guitar will be of more interest to a collector of GC memorabilia or a serious Ovation collector rather than someone who needs a working tool, in which case a standard Ovation production solid wil do the job admirably.

Paul

[ May 21, 2002: Message edited by: Paul Templeman ]
Bluebird
Posted 2002-05-21 5:09 AM (#221799 - in reply to #221789)

No offence taken, Paul T!
A a utility instrument, there isn't any difference between a Bluebird 12 and say, a Deacon 12, but to me, they are one of the coolest guitars I've ever seen/played. Another thing is, of course, the rareity . . . no reasonable likelyhood of anyone walking in the door at the Thursday night blues jam with one! Anyone who, like myself, who has dabbled in collecting vintage Fender guitars has seen things like a few months difference in age, or Firemist Gold color as opposed to standard sunburst can make the difference of thousands in price.
Glen, whether one loves or hates him, is an undeniable chapter in early Ovation history, the fact that they would produce an exclusive model for him underlines that fact.

Wayne
alpep
Posted 2002-05-21 8:56 AM (#221800 - in reply to #221789)

I think the problem is that until people start paying in the thousands of dollars for ovation solid body guitars ( and it has happened on a minor scale) it will be damn difficult to justify paying say 5K for the bluebird.
Part of the strength of a product line lies in the resale of their older instruments. Fender sell many new guitars and "relics" because players cannot afford to buy a 50's or 60's instrument and if they can they do not want to take it out to play.
Ovation solidbodies are affordable and most acoustics too aside from the Adamas line and that makes this purchase a most difficult one.
We talked about the possibility of a Deacon reissue. Well if most of the deacons/breadwinnes/limiteds sellin the 450-600 range you would have to make the guitar in korea to sell a new one at that pricepoint. Sure you can have Hamer tool up and make them for Ovation but they you are talking a list of sy 2.5K and so would you pay triple for a reissue of a guitar you could get an original for? probably not.
Strength in the market often depends on the resale of your past product. Ovation is getting there but there were so many guitars made that it will take some time.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2002-05-21 11:44 AM (#221801 - in reply to #221789)

As long as this thread deals (somewhat) with pickups, would anybody out there have some Ovation humbucking p/u's they would be willing to sell?
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2002-05-21 12:20 PM (#221802 - in reply to #221789)

That is the million dollar question MoodyPI.

I'd settle for ANY pickups!! I have a couple of NOS sets of Eclipse pickups, but as far as I know, all the pickups are gone from CT. I've been searching parts bins at pawn shops, and contacting folks who I have seen sell Ovations on eBay with replaced pickups, trying to locate what they did this the originals.

Miles
alpep
Posted 2002-05-21 12:32 PM (#221803 - in reply to #221789)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH'

(evil laugh)
moody, p.i.
Posted 2002-05-21 12:32 PM (#221804 - in reply to #221789)

Miles:
I came real close to buying some last year on ebay, and the seller was only 12 miles away. I had to be away from the computer at the end of the auction on work and was outbid. Damn.
Paul
Paul Templeman
Posted 2002-05-21 6:12 PM (#221805 - in reply to #221789)

I bought an absolutely mint Ovation humbucker on ebay about 3 weeks ago for £15. Still haven't decided what to do with it, but as my 2 pickup Viper has a factory rout for a third pickup I might make a new pickguard & put it on that. I've been hunting for parts in the UK for almost 10 years, this was the first result.

Paul

Paul Templeman
Posted 2002-05-21 6:27 PM (#221806 - in reply to #221789)

Hey, my next post will be number 200!!! I really need to get out more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
moody, p.i.
Posted 2002-05-21 6:46 PM (#221807 - in reply to #221789)

Paul:
What you ought to do is send that pickup to your evil twin brother, Paul, here in the states, who can put it on his Viper in the neck position. Just a thought.

Al: What do you know that you aren't telling us? I'm a trained detective and that evil laugh makes me think that you have some of these pickups.

Lastly, back to Paul. If you notice, on this thread, all your postings say number 199. Is it possible that new postings only count on different threads? Al? Miles?

Sincerely,
Your Evil Stateside Twin,
Paul
Paul Templeman
Posted 2002-05-21 6:57 PM (#221808 - in reply to #221789)

Paul, I actually bought it with the intention of installing it in the bridge position on my Tornado, but the Tornado pickups are bigger. if I get around to making a new pickup surround I'll do it, in which case they'll be a Tornado pickup available, if not it's yours for what I paid. This must be post 200.....I promise to shut the f*** up for a while.

Paul

moody, p.i.
Posted 2002-05-21 7:13 PM (#221809 - in reply to #221789)

It is post #200 for you. Congrats. It also must be after midnite. Do people really stay up that late? I have small kids and hit the hay early. Never know when bad dreams, potty accidents, or illness or going to get me up. Sleep when you can.

Hope you have a horrible time with the Tornado situation and can't use the humbucker pickup. I will buy it. Hope my mom doesn't see that last. Sounds like what it is... selfish.

[ May 21, 2002: Message edited by: moodypi ]
Paul Templeman
Posted 2002-05-21 7:41 PM (#221810 - in reply to #221789)

Yeah it's well after midnight, but I was teaching till 9 & didn't get home till after 10, so I'm having a beer or two & chilling in front of the PC. Day off tomorrow, thankfully. I'll keep you posted about the Tornado/Viper project. With the amount of Ovations around with Dimarzios or whatever there must be a lot of original pickups sitting around doing nothing.

Paul
alpep
Posted 2002-05-21 7:50 PM (#221811 - in reply to #221789)

If nominated I will not run....if elected I will not serve
moody, p.i.
Posted 2002-05-21 7:54 PM (#221812 - in reply to #221789)

Al: Just because you're acting suspicious doesn't automatically make you a politition. Well, it does come close.
What do you know and when did you know it?

Hillary

p.s. Do you have some Ovation humbuckers laying around?
Beal
Posted 2002-05-21 8:11 PM (#221813 - in reply to #221789)

It comes back slowly but it does come back. The 6 strings were all passive. The 12's were all active. The last one or two 6's had the UK pickups. We probably swapped some out for his others. There was one that Glenn had the pickguard changed out in Ca and that became the single pickup one mentioned.
The thing to keep in mind is that there were so few of these made. Less that a dozen total. I think that's right (someone can check the post from many months ago and see if I'm telling the same story! I can't remember but I think that total is right)

One other pickup point, the viper and viper3 had different pickups, although they looked the same. The viper3 middle and bridge pickups had different winds and different wire. They were different from each other too. Something like the following; V3 neck 10K of 42 wire, V3 mid 10K of 40 wire, V3 bridge 5K of 40 wire. The regular Vipers were 10K of 42. I may be slightly off on the guage wire but that's the concept. The V3 got brighter going to the bridge.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)