The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Fret Markers - Are there rules?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

canoewoman
Posted 2002-06-01 7:19 AM (#221532)
Subject: Fret Markers - Are there rules?

Can anyone tell me if there are rules governing fret markers? I was toying with the idea of customizing my cc53 with some fancy ones (i.e., pearl roses, doves or maybe dolphins). It presently has only 2 of the side ones.

After looking around on the net a bit, I see that classical guitars have only the tiny markers on the side and that acoustic and electric guitars get the ornate stuff.

Is it gauche to decorate a classical? I don't want to take a chance of looking tacky, even more ignorant than I already am -- or insulting the beauty of my instrument. :confused:
Top of the page Bottom of the page
alpep
Posted 2002-06-01 8:13 AM (#221533 - in reply to #221532)
Subject: Re: Fret Markers - Are there rules?

there are no rules except personal taste. I played some of the old tree of life inlayed Larsen guitars that Scott Chinery had and I would get lost on the fingerboard so be sure to make it ornate but functional.

As I tell my wife. If it makes you happy go for it.
canoewoman
Posted 2002-06-01 8:16 AM (#221534 - in reply to #221532)

Thanks, Al. You said just about word-for-word what Oldan told me! :D
Beal
Posted 2002-06-01 5:01 PM (#221535 - in reply to #221532)

The tradition is 3,5,7,9,12,15,17. You can get real fancy if you want but if it gets to be too much dose guys from Jersey will fight over it, while a carload from Jacksonville will drive over to look at it.
canoewoman
Posted 2002-06-01 6:02 PM (#221536 - in reply to #221532)

Well, guys, this let's me loose to indulge in searching for unique and beautiful fretboard inlay materials. After all, how could I pass up the opportunity to meet you all! I don't guess I'll have any problems getting Oldan to inlay the markers for me.

Thanks for all your positive support.
canoewoman
Posted 2002-06-04 12:27 PM (#221537 - in reply to #221532)

Well, well, well. Oldan says he won't inlay into a fretboard that has already been fretted. Says it's too time consuming and difficult to sand, finish, etc. :( :( :(

He said he will put on some of the shell material from Fretware. It looks good on eBay and Fretware's webpage, but I wonder if any of you have ever seen or used it. The maker says its 1/100" on a peel and stick base which is grid-marked on the back for easy cutting with scissors or a razorblade knife. Also says it will stay in place permanently, but is easily lifted to remove with absolutely no damage to wood or finish. :confused:

Site: fretware.com

We have looked around for some oakleaf designs to copy (if I get the stuff -- the maker is in Elberta, AL, and only 20-30 minutes from our house). I would like to put suggestion of the oakleaf pattern on my guitar's rosette onto the frets as markers and, if this product is as it looks to be, it should make a stunning fretboard.

Thanks, guys, and I'll try to let this one go after this last effort to "customize" my guitar.

Oh, and CWK2, does a CC53 have a name other than "Celebrity classical" and its model #?

Thank you one and all. ;)

[ June 04, 2002: Message edited by: canoewoman ]
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)