The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
One last question for you all....

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

Norseman1
Posted 2002-06-03 11:32 PM (#221463)
Subject: One last question for you all....

I couldn't find the custom ledgend someone mentioned on e-bay. I found what looked to be a new Celeb., but it was made clear to me that the older legend I am looking at is probably a better buy.

My question is this; I went back to the pawn shop which I have been looking at this 1981 legend. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I love the sound, and it's playability. I did notice this time that the top is sunk in quite a bit between the soundhole and bridge. Talking to the gentlemen who is selling the guitar (and who seems quite knowledgable about them), he felt that most of the warping probably occured during the first 2-5 years, and that since it is 21 years old, it probably has moved about as much as it is going to already.

It is still very playable, although the dip is quite pronounce if you look across the surface, or place a ruler across the top. I don't do much playing on the upper fret board, and the action near the machine heads is still close.

Am I crazy to buy it for 240 (including case)? I love the way it plays/sounds today, but what about 5 or 10 years from now? Do you suppose the likehood is high that it will be worthless, or perhaps with TLC it will remain in good playing order?

I realize noone can say for sure, but I respect the opinion of those of you who own Ovations, and know them MUCH better than I!

Thanks once again for your advice, and thanks for indulging my curiosity.

I know this sounds weird, but I really feel a connection with this guitar. I stopped in the pawnshop looking for a lawnmower, and now here I am!

Does Ovation make lawnmowers? (j/k)

Norseman1
Top of the page Bottom of the page
moody, p.i.
Posted 2002-06-03 11:37 PM (#221464 - in reply to #221463)
Subject: Re: One last question for you all....

Guitars are not always logical. I traded a Legend in on a used 1537 Elite. Best trade I ever made. However, my wife cried because I courted her witht he Legend. I bought the Legend back, it now hangs on my wall and I play the Elite. My wife and I are both happy.

Personally, I'd say pass on the Legend. You can find them on eBay for about $350-$500, with electronics, with no problems, if you are patient. However, notbody can tell you what to buy or sell. It's a very personal decision. For the amount of money you are going to spend, how can you go wrong? At worst, somewhere down the road, you end up with an old friend that you take to the beach and love to play.
Norseman1
Posted 2002-06-04 1:18 AM (#221465 - in reply to #221463)

Thanks for the reply Paul. I like your logic that sometimes with guitars, there is no logic! Your also correct in that 250.00 is not that big of an investment, but it is about all I can afford right now, which would probably keep me from moving up to one with electronics in the near future. Gee, maybe when I grow up and get a real job (41 year old school teacher) I will be able to afford something else!

Did your older Legend have warping problems? If so, did it happen early on and then more or less stabilize, or has it gotten progrssively worse? Is this a common problem with all Ovations?

Norseman1

p.s. - I like your analogy of taking an old friend to the beach, but two things;
#1. I hope I have a few years to get to know this friend before we retire to the beach.
#2. I hope I can find a beach on a thawed lake up here in Minnesota!!!

(do they make Parka's for Ovations?!)

Thanks again for your reply Paul!
alpep
Posted 2002-06-04 7:23 AM (#221466 - in reply to #221463)

sometimes I really don;'t get it. you buy a kia to go to work every day and you really don;t care about value down the road you care about transportation.
you buy a new toilet because the old one broke and you buy one because you need a new toilet not because of what it will be worth 10 years down the road.
you buy a designer fashion jacket (well my wife does) wear it 2 seasons until it is out of fashiion the donate it to goodwill not caring what value will be 10 years down the line.
my advice....go to the store play many guitars buy the one that feels best to your hands and sounds best to your ears. If you are still alive in 10 years to resell it deal with it then.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2002-06-04 8:18 AM (#221467 - in reply to #221463)

Well, my toilets have all gone up in value over the years because of very careful shopping in the first place.

As to what my Legend has done, except for a recent finish crack, over 24 years the face has stayed almost perfect. Now that may be a testament to living in California where the winters aren't harsh, only the politicians.
Norseman1
Posted 2002-06-04 9:14 AM (#221468 - in reply to #221463)

Well Al,that's one problem I have with e-bay. I am currently tracking two Legends one Balladeer, an Elite, and an Ultra that are currently affordable. My problem is even though they are PROBABLY in better shape than the one I actually held and played, I can't actually hold and play these guitars.I looked at a Celebrity at the Pawn shop thatlooked great, but played and sounded horrible.I am very leary of getting stuck with something out of e-bay that isn't what I thought it would be from the picture/description. At the same time, I know this older Legend has some problems (warping) that I am trying to decide if it will continue to get worse, or remain playable for a few years.

I know it sounds nit-picky, but supporting a family of five on a modest income, I can't afford to buy something (guitar/toilet/jacket/whatever) that I have to abandon/replace in short order. The last guitar I bought, was a Fender F-210 in 1986. My Yahmaha 12 string I bought in 1978. I've bought low end Squire and Lotus electrics for my kids, but I would love to get a real guitar for myself.

I know I sound cheap, but mortgage, cloths, food, and car repairs seem to rob me of most of my income. Not trying to be cheap, just trying to find the best value I can!

Thanks for the reply!

Norseman1
moody, p.i.
Posted 2002-06-04 9:29 AM (#221469 - in reply to #221463)

Norseman1:
I know exactly how you feel about trying to support a family with a limited income. In fact, I suspect that most of the people here know that feeling.

I've bought 4 Ovations on eBay and even the one that wasn't exactly perfect (a classical, model 1763 with action a little too high and no way to get it back down short of sending it to the factory) was still good. The key is to ask questions of the seller before buying and then hold the seller to what he promised. I've only had one bad experience on eBay and it cost me 60 bucks.

On the other hand, if you like the guitar you found, buy it. There is no right or wrong here.
alpep
Posted 2002-06-04 9:31 AM (#221470 - in reply to #221463)

e bay is not for eveyone. I buy and sell tons of stuff on e bay if you are not sure then don;t bid you will never be happy.

I bought a hand built benedetto guitar on ebay well the seller forgot to tell me what I considered a major issue with the guitar. the locking nut is for a arched fingerboard guitar and the guitar has a flat fingerboard well it throws the string spacing of both e strings off. Now I got a good deal on the guitar and respect bob's work but to me I can;t play the guitar it is NOT right so I have to search for a new locking nut or have it converted back to a regular nut.

I am former teacher and my wife currently teaches so I am aware of your income problems but you seem to be spending too much time on price and that is not IMHO where the most critical point should be. I have played owned and heard great cheap guitars and bad expensive guitars
Norseman1
Posted 2002-06-04 9:46 AM (#221471 - in reply to #221463)

Paul and Al, Well said and thank you. Looking beyond the money issue, my biggest concern would be over the sinking and raising around the bridge.From experience, would it be your opinion that the problem probably occured early on when the wood was somewhat green, or would it be more likely that it is a progressive problem that will most likely get worse? I know this may sound impossible to answer, but what would be your educated guesses?

Thanks,

Norseman1
moody, p.i.
Posted 2002-06-04 12:03 PM (#221472 - in reply to #221463)

Ok, time to be blunt. I flat out wouldn't buy a guitar with structural problems. There are too many good deals out there with no problems. I couldn't say if the problems with the guitar in question happened early on or are progressive and I think that the salesman is feeding you a line of crap saying that he believes that it did happen early and won't get worse.
Unless you gotta have that particular guitar, be patient. Something better will come along.
Norseman1
Posted 2002-06-04 12:13 PM (#221473 - in reply to #221463)

Blunt works for me! Thanks Paul.

Norseman1
Bradley
Posted 2002-06-04 12:15 PM (#221474 - in reply to #221463)

I wonder if that pawn shop will let you take it to a repair shop for an estimate? My Gibson J-200 had a bowing problem in the same place. I took it to an authorized repair shop (he's also authorized for Ovation, bummer is he moved 1 1/2 hours away from me now). He looked it over and said that it wasn't bad enough to need repairing. However if it had needed repairing the cost would have been around $50. May you can split the cost with the owner.

My Custom Legend also has a pronounced bow on the top. I bought it from E-Bay. The seller didn't say anything about a bow, just that it was a great sounding guitar. He was right, it was the best sound guitar I had ever owned, up to the time I picked up my 1537 Elite from E-Bay. Now that was quite a deal.

Although I've gotten some good deals on guitars on E-Bay, its always better to try it out first. You've played that Legend and like it already. Maybe they'll let you get a repair estimate first and work out a deal. Might be worth a shot.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Bradley
Norseman1
Posted 2002-06-04 1:21 PM (#221475 - in reply to #221463)

Will do,and thanks Bradley!

Just out of curiosity, does $240.00 sound in line to you for an 81 Legend? How has your Legend held up? Did the bowing continue, or did it stabilize after a while?

Norse(I apologize for my continuous brain picking questions, but there is no teacher better than experience, and you guys who actually owned these guitars know better than anyone)man1
Beal
Posted 2002-06-04 4:33 PM (#221476 - in reply to #221463)

Al
Have you found that the wooden toilet seats have appreciated more than the fiberglass ones and if they are covered on MOTS do they bring a premium?
cliff
Posted 2002-06-04 5:21 PM (#221477 - in reply to #221463)

I've got an Eljer SlotBack toilet seat (oak) that I bought from a dealer back in '77. Now she told me that there were only 26 of these made, and...................

[ June 04, 2002: Message edited by: cliff d. ]
Jiminos
Posted 2002-06-04 5:36 PM (#221478 - in reply to #221463)

gotta ask, Cliff..... when you bought it back in '77, did you check to see if it was made in the U.S. .... or Canada? Could be a knock off... If it's an original, the serial number will be etched in brown on the underside near the hinge pins....
Beal
Posted 2002-06-04 6:18 PM (#221479 - in reply to #221463)

Now is that on the seat part or the top?

You gotta love this, my 500th post and we're talking about toilet seats!
Beal
Posted 2002-06-04 6:19 PM (#221480 - in reply to #221463)

Now for Norseman1
Pass on this legend. Get the next one

[ June 04, 2002: Message edited by: cwk2 ]
alpep
Posted 2002-06-04 6:54 PM (#221481 - in reply to #221463)

cwk the bottom fell out of the vintage toilet seat market, it is brazillian rosewood vs indian and pre BS only demanding the high dollars.
Jiminos
Posted 2002-06-04 7:18 PM (#221482 - in reply to #221463)

Here I sit, broken hearted
Invested in toilets and got outsmarted!
I got 'em in cherry, I got 'em in oak,
But they worth nothin' cuz the market's broke!
Nothing to do but put 'em back in their wrappers
and post on e-bay my gilded crappers!

(who says I have too much time on my hands?)
moody, p.i.
Posted 2002-06-04 7:28 PM (#221483 - in reply to #221463)

Unlike you guys, my toilet seats are not natural materials. Mine are a carbon graphite composite. Very strong (to hold my big ass), and very lite (easy to flip up at a moments notice).

Get with it. Nobody sits on wooden toilet seats anymore. Hey, the world ain't flat.

[ June 04, 2002: Message edited by: moodypi ]
cliff
Posted 2002-06-05 7:39 AM (#221484 - in reply to #221463)

My Eljer seat is a "single cutaway" (U-shaped seat).

Also known as the "2 Many Martini" model.

The cutaway eliminates the risk of getting hit in the back of the neck!
moody, p.i.
Posted 2002-06-06 8:29 AM (#221485 - in reply to #221463)

Having told Norseman that he shouldn't buy the Legend with the structural problems (and he did), but that buying guitars is not logical but emotional (and it is), I will now demonstrate my own lack of logic.

I want to buy a blonde Ovation Thunderhead. I've lusted after one for over 30 years and when the time and funds are right, I'll find one and get it. Now, if I was smart (which I ain't), I'd get an Epiphone Sheraton like this one
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=878650614
It would probably be cheaper, newer, in better shape, and have the pickups that would give me the sound I'm looking for. Am I going to do it, or wait for the Thunderhead? I'll probably wait.

The magic of the guitar that puts a smile on your face is just overwhelming. So much for logic.
Norseman1
Posted 2002-06-06 8:59 AM (#221486 - in reply to #221463)

AMEN Bro!

It's ALL good! Sounds like a win/win situation Paul.With your attitude, whatever you choose, you'll be happy.

Norse(played her [the legend that is] until midnight, and still smilin in the morn)man1

p.s. - Allmy obsessing about cost came down to this;

I paid 240.00 (plus tax) for the Legend yesterday (actually my wonderful wife paid for it, she had been looking for an appropriate 20th anniversary gift, and this fit the bill to t "T"). My wife and I decided to go out for dinner to celebrate our new addition. While driving to the diner, we were commenting on the weird smell the car ahead of us was emitting. A few moments later, we realized it was OUR car, as smoke began coming up from under the hood. I pulled over next to a car wash, and doust my engine with water (as the engine appeared to be on fire).

To make a long story a little longer, it turns out, I burned up the air conditioner clutch. WHen I asked the mechanic what kind of price tag am I looking at, his exact words were;
"Well, your looking at about $120.00 for the part, and about another $120.00 to put her in, so I'm guessing about $240.00."

That's of course (plus tax)!

Absolutely true, and absolutely UNREAL!
alpep
Posted 2002-06-06 9:10 AM (#221487 - in reply to #221463)

at 240 BOTH are a bargain
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)