The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
New to playing a guitar!

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

Christopher Geeslin
Posted 2011-09-06 3:28 AM (#869)
Subject: New to playing a guitar!

Hi there,

I am new to playing a guitar. Several people in my family play, but I never took interest. A few months ago, I came across an old Ventura: Bruno classical guitar which had belonged to my mother. I decided I would pass it along to my son Parker who has Aspergers Syndrome (an autism spectrum disorder). Parker doesn't take interest in many things. In fact, recently his anxiety about leaving our home has gotten really bad. Since he doesn't take interest in most things, I was very surprised to see him trying to make up songs and walk around the house strumming very dissonant chords and singing a song he said he had "just wrote." I asked Parker if he would be interested in learning how to play the guitar properly, to which he enthusiastically responded, "YES". This is when I began my search for a guitar myself. My son's desire to learn kindled a flame in me which made me want to learn. Being 33 (tomorrow actually) I was kind of nervous about searching for the right guitar and would my short stubby fat fingers cause me to get frustrated and give up. Well I set those worries aside and began my search. After holding a few guitars and researching a bit, I found that I really like the designs that Ovation had. I discussed with my wife and came up with a budget we could work with. The guitar that fell in that area was the Ovation 1861. I really liked this guitar, however I needed to purchase a case and strap and so on, so I decided to take my search to Craigslist, where I found several guitars that were nice. The one I decided on and got a wonderful deal on, was a 1997 Ovation 1717x Custom Legend. This guitar was in almost perfect shape. What sold me even further on it was the gentleman whom I purchased it from spent 2 hours with me installing new strings and giving me my first lesson. He also said that the instrument I purchased came from a neighbor of his who loved guitars and had a very large collection. The neighbor ended up having to sell his collection because he was moving into an assisted living home and couldn't bring his collection with him due to lack of space. This guitar was played, but hardly. It mostly sat on display, waiting and wanting to be played. Now it is in my hands as of yesterday, and play with it I did! What a beautiful sounding guitar. I have started to learn a few chords and getting this strumming thing down might take a little more practice, but boy am I smiling from ear to ear! I cannot wait to go home and start teaching my son!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
noah
Posted 2011-09-06 5:17 AM (#870 - in reply to #869)
Subject: Re: New to playing a guitar!

Welcome and Happy Birthday!
TAFKAR
Posted 2011-09-06 5:18 AM (#871 - in reply to #869)

Well done Christopher - it's an exciting process. Nice guitar, I started on a 1117 legend.
Christopher Geeslin
Posted 2011-09-07 12:21 AM (#872 - in reply to #869)

Thanks! I look forward to learning! :) . I already have some lessons scheduled with my uncle who plays well. I talked to my son today and he is excited too!
mbedard
Posted 2011-09-27 4:18 PM (#873 - in reply to #869)

Sounds like a great Father/Son activity.

I was also taught by my uncle, and started at about 8 years old or so. We lost Uncle Paul to cancer at a young age about 15 years ago, and I cherish those memories when we would sit around singing and playing Beatles songs.

Can't wait to start teaching my 2 year old son those same songs!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)