The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 123
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
We are 400 !!!!!!!!!!

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

alpep
Posted 2002-07-27 2:49 PM (#220041 - in reply to #220016)
Subject: Re: We are 400 !!!!!!!!!!

Gizz
don't open your windows during those full moons....out in the distance you can hear "la bamba"
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Gizz
Posted 2002-07-27 3:09 PM (#220042 - in reply to #220016)

It's the WereWolfe of London - Al . His hair is perfect. Just thinkin' of that damn song gives me a Rush ! ewwwwwww :cool:
I believe Da Bomb/ber is right up there as the most played song in history with "Happy Birthday to You" - "Ol Lang Zyne(?), and "Anna Gatta Da/vida"

care to vote on it :D

---------

Gizz
Coyote
Posted 2002-07-27 4:02 PM (#220043 - in reply to #220016)

Congratulations and thanks to those who have made this unique forum possible - always help or a laugh, VERY different from other forums, better type fast or we will be at 500 before this is posted...

BTW: CWK, you do not want a Yugo, you want a Trebant - composite bowl..err body ya know.

Jim..
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2002-07-27 4:11 PM (#220044 - in reply to #220016)

As mentioned earlier several times... they DO HAVE A LINK TO US.. It is under support in the FAQ section. It is the perfect place as many of the 400+ we have here, found us via that link. Also the stats on our server indicate many folks are clicking to here from their link.
As far as support from Ovation, they have been very gracious to both Al and I in getting info to us and answering questions etc. I can't address their web page content. I met their web mistress and she is on the ball, however, coming from an IT background I will say, things that we can get away with as a "public site" are a little more difficult in the corperate sector. Just as an example.. I took a picture of Al holding a guitar at a show. No problem. I did not have to contract a photographer and pass the legal mumbo jumbo back and forth via the lawyers for rights to take a picture and have that "art" posted on the web by a corperation. That doesn't even address the writer, the marketing department approvals, the proofing and the actual development. Further... are these guitars available to the public yet? If they are not, than they shouldn't be up. Remember, NAMM is NOT a public event. These insturments may not be available for months to come.

Hmmmmm I feel a rant coming on.......
If it sound like I'm defending the corp... in a way I am. I was in that position for many years at different companies. There can ALWAYS be more content, and BETTER design.. etc etc etc.. but it takes time and money and has to go through many of the hoops that just putting up a web page does not. You will notice this site is useable on any browser on any platform. That is a consideration of corperations also. I do this work out of a love of programming and creating sites that are useful, and of course.. the content of Ovation guitars. I shudder to think how much I would have to pay a team to do this to my specs. I'm used to working with website budgets in excess of $1 mil. closer to 2. That's a lot of jack for a guitar company. I think they do a fine job.. but I agree the Adamas site could use a little spruce-up.. However..... If the Q is on it's way out, then they may be directing efforts towards that instead of the already existing Adamas.
.... ok... jumping off soapbox..
Gizz
Posted 2002-07-27 5:37 PM (#220045 - in reply to #220016)

Was that Al? I thought it was Dusty - from ZZ TOP....

Also Miles: Thank You for all you have done for this Ovation Fan Club. In my book you can get on that soap box and let me know exactly what is going on at anytime you feel those unleaded donuts kickin' in - O.K?. I DO enjoy reading everything you have to say and always will. So, with that said, Al what tune were you playing when the pic was taken?

---------------------

EL Gizz :p
Chuck (Retired Navy)
Posted 2002-07-27 7:18 PM (#220046 - in reply to #220016)

400+ members sounds real good, but there seems to be a little fact that is sliping by the main members of this site. I joined a few weeks ago after buying a used Ovation Balladeer. I had a few questions about it, so I posted here. The first post I made still has not received a response from anyone. The second post I made has had only one response. I have noticed at least one other new member that has not received an answer to any of her 4 questions.

I ask that the regular members take a look down once in a while, and look for those postings that have no answers, or maybe just one or two answers, and reply to them. From looking through the postings here, a lot of you have a lot of knowledge, not only on Ovations in general, but as musicians. Please, make the new members feel welcome. Make them feel that if they post a question, they will get lots of good answers, not just one, or none at all.

I am in the US Navy, and don't hav much longer before I start my six month deployment. While I am gone, I will not be able to hit any web sites, but will only have access to e-mail. However, I felt a need to express my feelings here while I can. Time to get off my soap box now.

Chuck
moody, p.i.
Posted 2002-07-27 8:38 PM (#220047 - in reply to #220016)

Chuck:

I went back and took a look at your question. Paul T. answered it, and you said thanks, that you'd try his suggestions. Mr. T. pretty well covered what the hum could be, either amp or cable, usually not the pickup or preamp.
Was there something else? Always feel free to speak up here. If it's important to you, eventually somebody will answer.

As to the girl's question, if it's who I think, I and from what I understand, several others answered her in private email, which she requested. And she did get her problem solved.

Anything else?
[ July 27, 2002: Message edited by: moodypi ]

[ July 27, 2002: Message edited by: moodypi ]
alpep
Posted 2002-07-27 9:25 PM (#220048 - in reply to #220016)

gizz
I was playing kid charlemagne the chord is a c#m#7#9
Gizz
Posted 2002-07-27 9:48 PM (#220049 - in reply to #220016)

Chuck, 1st of all may I say thank you for your service in the Navy and your tour may it be a safe and successful one for us here who support our troops all over the globe.
I have posted since the 5th, to find out about my GC 1127-4 M-293 and have had a great time trying to get mine settled. It's getting to where I DON"T want to find out, cause then the thrill will be gone, and I won't enjoy the great company that I'm addict'd to now. I'd like to respond technically to some, but I'm a player, not like some of these members who know not only to play 'em but to repair them also. I can work on them, but can not give advice. I do teach guitar and would gladly help any one with any Rock & Roll questions. I know all of Kwik's songs, cause I played bars since I was 16. Just don't ask me about "La Bamba" cause I might go Postal. Ask Al - he loves that tune. - :rolleyes: web pageGC signatureOvation1127-4 M(mom)-293
Rich
Posted 2002-07-28 1:20 AM (#220050 - in reply to #220016)

Hey Chuck,
Hi and welcome to the site. I, too, would like to thank you for your service to our country.
I read your first post, and short of telling you how to look up the date of manufacture of your american made guitar (by reading the serial number) I don't know what else there really is share with you. And your post was short on specifics-
I don't know enough about guitars and amps to address the buzzing you mentioned in your second post- but then again, I'm on the lower end of totem pole as far as knowledge and experience with Ovations, and maybe your message wasn't aimed at me to begin with... so maybe this really just some kind of acknowledgement, disguised as a wordy reply :)
Did I mention I just got back from spending the evening at a coffee shop??? LOL

[ July 28, 2002: Message edited by: Rich ]
Coyote
Posted 2002-07-28 10:17 AM (#220051 - in reply to #220016)

Hi Chuck,
First let me add my thanks for your service to this country - good luck on your tour.

The main thing that impresses me about this board is that most of the time questions are answered pretty quickly by someone who is an expert - some other boards are just a closed circle of friends who ignore or "flame" a new person - these people KNOW Ovations and will do their best to help, I am not qualified to answer most questions, but have learned a lot, and seen the "passion" for Ovations here - and no "my guitar is better than yours" snobbery, even the polite way you worded your "complaint" is different - more like a group of friends talking than someone safe to "attack" from behind a keyboard.

I think a lot of questions are answered by private post - might be a good thing to also post a reply on the board? One thing that should be pointed out is that there is a very good "search" function (see the upper right corner) - a lot of questions have already been discussed (NOT an excuse for not welcoming you and trying to answer your question, just pointing out a useful feature).

This board is 400+ people ranging from a retired gas station owner to an old biker, with everything in between - I am sure there are other boards that work this well, but most I have found do not. Sorry if your question "fell through the cracks", thanks for pointing out a possible problem, look forward to "seeing" you again when your tour is over - and after a short time here YOU will be answering questions.

Taking your guitar with you? - I have heard they make good paddles....

Jim...
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2002-07-28 10:33 AM (#220052 - in reply to #220016)

Hey Coyote and anyone else reading...
Good points on all... I wonder if I am being refered to as "the old biker?" Anyway, I think we all try to answer the questions we know the answer too. That's what I really like here. Very soon (I have been told) I will have the content for a searchable FAQ. Basically a complilation of all of the questions and answers from the board so far in a simple searchable format. They have been edited out of the posts so that you just get the Q & A. Of course if one wants to read all the extra stuff and conversation, they can at least find it by searching on an actual phrase from the FAQ.

By the way... I spent 14 years in the US Navy before I decided to go out and get a real job. I never looked back, but I do miss it sometimes. "Every day is a Navy day, and every meal a banquet. The only way is Haze Grey and Underway!!!"

Fair winds and following seas shipmate.
Coyote
Posted 2002-07-28 11:13 AM (#220053 - in reply to #220016)

Hey Miles,
if I let you have "old biker" then I will have to claim the title of "worst player" (as good as I ever was - still know the same 3 chords...).

Maybe a contest for the "title": how bad do YOU limp?

Jim...
(wondering what a psychological profile of the
members would turn up - maybe best we do not
know??)
alpep
Posted 2002-07-28 11:51 AM (#220054 - in reply to #220016)

sorry "worst player" is my coveted title.
Gizz
Posted 2002-07-28 12:35 PM (#220055 - in reply to #220016)

I know it ain't me, I still got the training wheels on mine......

Coyote, I agree with you brother. Lately I went into a "Guitar Player" chat room, and WAS basically sicken'd by the Beavis and Butt/head attitudes all those wanna/be's had. And not to mention ego, the room was about to explode. Went there out of curiousity and stay'd long enough to NOT say anything. Just reading the ___- (fill this in yourself), I can now say, and you can Take This to the Bank<>
That there is no place like Ovation Fan Club. Here you can get answers (except for MINE) about (M)possibly for mom on my Ovation, just about 99% of the time, with some good humor and pun for texture. I'd say that if you don't find it there, you will sure get some answer from, Al,Bailey,Miles,Cw2, Paul,Tommy,Craig, among more who normally are the go too guys here, with shoot from the hip answers and unlead'd attitudes, if you know what
I mean.

Wow, is the brown showin' on my nose now?

I love this woom...... It's like family here
:rolleyes:

[ July 28, 2002: Message edited by: Gizz ]
Beal
Posted 2002-07-28 2:06 PM (#220056 - in reply to #220016)

We mostly shoot from the lip here.

The M doesn't stand for Mother but a recent rhumor has it that it stands for Miles. When he went AWOL from the navy he was caught in a barroom brawl and sentenced to two years indentured servitude at the factory. It was him who started the M series of serial numbers.
Gizz
Posted 2002-07-28 2:22 PM (#220057 - in reply to #220016)

I'm calling COLUMBO :D
moody, p.i.
Posted 2002-07-28 4:32 PM (#220058 - in reply to #220016)

Bill's just not gonna let this "M" thing go, is he?

As to the worst player, I know it's not me as I can now go from a C to a G chord in under thirty seconds. Beat that!!

p.s. Anybody know how that D chord goes? If I can get that, I can play a whole song. Slowly.

[ July 28, 2002: Message edited by: moodypi ]
tdarensbourg
Posted 2002-07-28 5:45 PM (#220059 - in reply to #220016)

Hey, Paul...

The "D" chord is easy. But I can do it with all four fingers of my left hand and fingerpick those strings.
Gizz
Posted 2002-07-28 6:10 PM (#220060 - in reply to #220016)

Yeah, but can you chew gum at the same time too? :rolleyes:
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2002-07-28 7:39 PM (#220061 - in reply to #220016)

CWK2 that "M" thing was supposed to be a secret.. confidentiality agreements and all... :( their gonna get me now fo-sure...
moody, p.i.
Posted 2002-07-28 7:50 PM (#220062 - in reply to #220016)

Don't worry Miles. I won't let anything happen to you (at least not until I buy a blonde Thead from you next year).
Bailey
Posted 2002-07-28 11:13 PM (#220063 - in reply to #220016)

Gizz & All

Chuck, thank you for serving your country, and keep letting us know what is going on in today's Navy.

I an sure that the M in Gizz's guitar was an advanced message from the Marti(a)ns, warning of an impending attack as soon as they had a semblance of the technology from their infiltration of the factory. They always give you hidden warning, if the CIA sees this they will probably confiscate the guitar, please send it to me for safekeeping. So please don't say that all questions aren't answered, you have to read between the lines.

Also, La Bamba comes in a distant second to Orange Blossom Special as the most played song, I think I have heard it done by Julliard string quintets (in waltz time)to show they are in touch with us ordinary hillbillies.

Bailey

[ July 28, 2002: Message edited by: Bailey ]
Gizz
Posted 2002-07-28 11:38 PM (#220064 - in reply to #220016)

Good Bailey, the LESS I hear that stupid song the better. I'll take Orange Blossom Special any time over it, cause that tune makes my hair hurt big time.
As for the Martians, It's possible, it can happen. I'll rent it to you Bailey.

Give 'em Hell NAVY !!! s'cuse my Spang/lish
Chuck (Retired Navy)
Posted 2002-07-29 5:16 PM (#220065 - in reply to #220016)

I see I stirred things up here. Thanks for all the responses, and the appreciation for my Naval service. I will be taking my Balladeer with me on the cruise, and hopefully, improving my undeveloped playing skills.

I see where several questions have been answered by private post. Looking from where I sit, it ends up looking like the questions were not answered, or they received very little information back. Please consider posting your answer, and sending a copy to the individual as well. That way they get their answer, and everyone else sees the answer as well. One thing I did when I found the link on the Ovation web site was to go back and read as many of the posts as possible. I learned quite a bit from this.

I will take more time to be more specific in what I am asking. I enjoy conversing here with Ovation fans, instead of some of the bashing that goes on in the newsgroups, although the newsgroups do have some good information once in a while after I weed through all the junk.

Is there any documentation that comes with a new Ovation? Such as how to care for it, recommended batteries for the preamp, how to use the preamp. I tried to put a Duracell in my Balladeer, but it got stuck part way in, as did two other standard household name batteries I tried. What is the best way to care for the wood finish? I have a 1711 Balladeer with a natural finish.

Hopefully this clarifies my earlier question.

Chuck
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)