The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Ovation top finish cracks

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

Legend-LX-Fan
Posted 2002-12-03 12:44 AM (#215597)
Subject: Ovation top finish cracks

Hello everyone. I was wondering if anyone can help me figure out why so many older Ovation guitars develop cracks in the finish on the soundboard. Is it because the back is not wood and does not allow the top to exspand? One guy told me it is because Ovation uses thin finish on the tops of it's guitars, and it cracks easily. My 1990 Custom Balladeer looks like the day it was made. Will it to one day develop cracks in it's finish? Please share with me what you know about this. I sure am curious. Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Standingovation
Posted 2002-12-03 9:03 AM (#215598 - in reply to #215597)
Subject: Re: Ovation top finish cracks

Paul,

I have also heard the same story from ovation haters - thzat the tops crack because the bowl does not expand. But I have been convinced by those who know a lot more than I do about these things that it is simply not true, if not impossible. Let me say that far and away, the majority of these "cracks" are in the clearcoat only. I have seen very few cracks into the wood and I've had my hands on many, many ovations in the past 30 years. I think the root of the "problem" is twofold. Firstly, Ovation has historically used a very thick clearcoat compared to other guitars. That's why they LOOK so good. But the clearcoat expands and contracts differently than the wood underneith it and this can cause clearcoat or surface cracks (some people call it "checking"). I have also noticed that the these celarcoat cracks will often originate from a ding, because that forms an opening or weak spot in the clearcoat. You often see cracks from the tail to the bridge sometime in two lines corresponding to where the bridge is pinned to the top, again because here is a weak spot in the clearcoat. The second reason I believe you get these effects on Ovations is because they use very thin tops and very light bracing. That's why they SOUND so good. Run your hand over the lower bout of an Ovation from the 70's or 80's and you will probably feel that it is not very flat. Again this is cosmetic only and in part is the price you pay for a great sounding instrument. Newer Ovations seem to have much less of a problem with these clearcoat cracks so I guess that the factory has made improvements by using a thinner coat or some other changes. I do believe that temperature and humidity changes can play a big part. As temp and humidity change the wood swells and contracts and you are just asking for trouble. The best prevention for clearcoat cracks in my opinion is to keep you guitar in a stable environment about 70 degrees and 40% humidity. I'm no expert on these things, so maybe other can chime in with opinions as well.

Dave
Paul Templeman
Posted 2002-12-03 10:15 AM (#215599 - in reply to #215597)

I've seen dozens of early to mid '70's Ovations with top cracks. Usually on the treble-side lower bout running from the bridge to the binding. This seems to be common to some Ovations from this era & it's possible it could have been a manufacturing issue long since addressed by the factory, as it does not appear on later instruments. In many cases cracks of this type are due to negligence by the owner. Any instrument, Ovation or otherwise, will have problems if they are not stored correctly, especially where there are extremes of high or low humidity.
Guitar Man
Posted 2002-12-03 10:29 AM (#215600 - in reply to #215597)

I hear that after significant research the problem with Ovation finish cracks around the bridge was addressed this year and that no new Ovations should display this problem.
secondroy
Posted 2002-12-03 7:00 PM (#215601 - in reply to #215597)

This problem is not unique to Ovation. I have a 30 year old Martin with checking on the upper bout. I have always kept the guitar in its case in the house.
alpep
Posted 2002-12-03 7:08 PM (#215602 - in reply to #215597)

The problem is that when you say cracks people do not distinguish between finish or wood and the majority of people think finish cracks means the top is cracked all the way through.
I tend to use the term finish checking but most people outside of the industry don't understand what that means.

many of the ovations I have seen with actual top cracks have been severely hit on the end pin that seems to crack the top rather easily.

[ December 03, 2002: Message edited by: alpep ]
Bailey
Posted 2002-12-04 12:24 AM (#215603 - in reply to #215597)

I think some of the checking problems in finishes are caused by the effect of ultraviolet radiation in direct sunlight on finishes, perhaps keeping the guitar in its case and not leaving it in direct sunlight might minimize it. Sort of like the vampire method of survival, playing in dimly lit bars and back in the coffin by daybreak.

Bailey
luthier444
Posted 2002-12-06 3:58 PM (#215604 - in reply to #215597)

Yes Guitar man,. Significant reduction in finish cracks. . Happy days. :p

[ December 06, 2002: Message edited by: luthier444 ]
Ms Robyn of Houston
Posted 2002-12-06 9:09 PM (#215605 - in reply to #215597)

I also have this problem and have been told by our local tech that custom builds guitars that they indeed are just surface blemishes in the clear coat . On my 1512 it still plays the same but under dim light gives it a sort of light capturing rippled effect. Rather a sign of maturity I prefer to think
Ms Robyn Snider-Babin
Beal
Posted 2002-12-08 9:51 AM (#215606 - in reply to #215597)

Actually I think many of the older Ovations would crack because the finish was thicker that other guitars. It also was polyester or a ploy/urethane mix, not lacquer.
Bluebird
Posted 2002-12-08 12:21 PM (#215607 - in reply to #215597)

Did any of the very oldest Ovations ever use nitro lacquer finishes? The "big three" switched to poly finishes only in the very late '60's. My earliest Ovation is a late '68 and is definitely poly finished.

Wayne
Beal
Posted 2002-12-08 1:20 PM (#215608 - in reply to #215597)

maybe the first year, year and a half was lacquer
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)