The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Celebrity arch top?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

moody, p.i.
Posted 2003-01-10 8:04 PM (#214210)
Subject: Celebrity arch top?

Looking at the 2003 Celebrity Collector's, it Ovation describes it as an arch top. Anybody have any thoughts on this? Doesn't make sense to me.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
stonebobbo
Posted 2003-01-10 8:18 PM (#214211 - in reply to #214210)
Subject: Re: Celebrity arch top?

I've seen these Celebrity Limited editions been described as archtops over the last couple of years (at least they were in 2000). I saw one when I got my 2000 Collectors (USA) ... it was kinda wierd ... looked to me like the top was ready to pop off any time. ;) Maybe 'cause I'm not used to seeing anything but a flat top on an Ovation.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-01-11 5:42 AM (#214212 - in reply to #214210)

All flat top guitars (except maybe the Adamas) will show some degree of arching over time, if they don't it's generally because they are built too heavily. Guitars such as this Celebrity are not arch tops in the true sense, as the arch is not carved, nor do they sound like an arch top, largely because the fixed bridge applies torque to the soundboard in a completely different way to a guitar with a tailpiece. Perhaps a better term would be something like "pre-stressed" tops.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2003-01-11 10:23 AM (#214213 - in reply to #214210)

Paul:
I understand what you're saying. What I found interesting is that Ovation used the specific term "arch top" to describe this obvious "Elite" type guitar.

Anybody at Ovation have anything to add to this?
Norseman1
Posted 2003-01-11 12:38 PM (#214214 - in reply to #214210)

lol! I guess my Legend is in vogue, for she does have somewhat of an "arched-top" ;) Perhaps it's like that multi-colored carpeting that women call pre-dirtied as they don't show stains as well, the new Ovations will have a pre-warped look to them :eek:

Norse(just kidding :D )man1
musicamex
Posted 2003-01-11 12:42 PM (#214215 - in reply to #214210)

ya know, i guess a guy could glue a ss elite or adamas bowl (access hole cover removed) to the front of deep bowl and you would really have an archtop.

i kinda wonder where ovation is going with the celebrity line. are they following the auto manufacturers so you can get a high end chevy that competes with the low end caddies. i always thought that was a buick or olds. nowadays who the hell knows. there are so many models to become confused with, i'll stick with the stuff from the good old days.
cms-man
Posted 2003-01-18 2:29 PM (#214216 - in reply to #214210)

The guitars that we are now building do have a "arch" to them.When the top has its bracing applied to it,it i done so where there is a slight arch built into it.The same goes for the top when it is bonded to the body.
hopefuly you will get a better understanding when you see it in person.It is how ever not a archtop in the true sense of the word.Does that make any sense? ;)
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2003-01-18 3:41 PM (#214217 - in reply to #214210)

I saw the "arch top" and as with many things I think Ovation needs to somehow (I don't have even a suggestion at this point) get the info out, or make it more recognizable that there is something special. I was watching people walk by at NAMM and on at least 2 occations, folks picked up the guitar to look at it, and noticed "the bridge pulling up on the body." They did not read the little 3 x 5 card next to the guitar before they took it off the stand where it said ArchTop. They just saw it from a distance, saw the nice shiney frets and other features and picked up the guitar and looked at it. As soon as their eyes hit the top, they noticed something slightly different, but did not realize it was a "FEATURE." On one occation a salesrep overheard the comment, explained, and the potential customer was impressed. On the other occasion there was no salesperson to leap, and the potential customer put on a disgusted face with a smirk, set it on its stand and walked away.

I would not be surprised to find that customer service gets calls concerning the "bridge pulling up or bowing the top" not knowing it's an archtop.
Beal
Posted 2003-01-18 4:17 PM (#214218 - in reply to #214210)

Might raise the question, why call it an archtop if it really isn't what the customer thinks of as an archtop? Or for that matter what the industry thinks of as an archtop?
I wouldn't think you would want to introduce something that you have to constantly explain. Then again, I haven't seen this instrument that is being discussed. It just all sounds funny. Almost as if the guy who decided to call it an archtop didn't know better?
MWoody
Posted 2003-12-30 7:44 PM (#214219 - in reply to #214210)

I pulled this string out of a search and I can't help but add to it. I am not a Luthier, I move heavy things in and out of difficult areas. Having opened the field for ridicule here is a little physics and Geometry...

The circumfirenced (arch top)will have a greater surface area and be able to be made out of thinner material. Less mass/more flexibility and greater area equal greater volume.

Let the materials decide the tone (Cedar, Spruce, Mahogany, CMT, ?) and the effect is more sound. Place the vent holes in the lower vibration area and you have a better projector.

I just got my CP2003 and it sounds rich and projects well. I have a 1967 Guild D50 with the spruce top that has wonderful tone and mellowness - but it has 36 years up on my roundback. My sister's cedar topped Breedlove has an extremely mellow tone - but is fragile in comparison to an Ovation.

Let me take another, ah, tangent -

I had played the Elite T while comparison shopping and found the tone to be remarkable. I also found it sinful that someone could cover up a spruce soundboard with the same looking stuff you undercoat a truck with!
I guess that's when I decided I am a little more purist.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-12-31 6:01 AM (#214220 - in reply to #214210)

Using a so-called "arched" top on a flat-top guitar is more to do with controlling saddle string-break angle & neck-set over time, than anything tonal.

Don't dismiss the bowl paint. You may not like the appearance but because the textured finish is extremely thin, much thinner than a regular gloss finish, it is a major factor in why the Elite-T's sound so good and is part of the reason why these guitars are such amazing value.
MWoody
Posted 2003-12-31 11:51 AM (#214221 - in reply to #214210)

I sit corrected.

I do have to say that the Elite T I played had excellant tone and sustain. It gave me a lot to wrestle with when I was shopping around.

I am very impressed with what Ovation is doing with the materials and processes and I think we will always have something to look forward to.

One of the other things I ran into was My Other Board. I am sorry that the "Surfer" hype was so out there and I would have been more interested had it come in a white. I never got to play one. How are those coming across? :rolleyes:
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-12-31 1:49 PM (#214222 - in reply to #214210)

Most of the guys who've been here a while are way past passing comment on the MOB's, but try a search, I'm sure you'll find the results entertaining & informtive.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)