The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Adding/Fixing Strap Button

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2008Message format

alvinjismyl
Posted 2008-10-11 1:46 AM (#16919)
Subject: Adding/Fixing Strap Button

I read in one of the posting that fixing a strap button on the lower half of the heel (1st-3rd strings) would helped alleviate the problem of guitar’s tendency to flip upwards while playing standing. I tend to agree as my other guitars (1117, 1116, 1124-4) came with strap button in that position and I never had any problem with it until this ‘97 Collectors Edition which has the strap button fixed on the upper half of the heel (4th-6th strings).

Three question: 1) how do I fixed another strap button without damaging the body? This is assuming I do it myself; 2) what tools do I need? 3) is it possible to remove the original strap button and seal the hole? If so what to use? Actually I wouldn't mind leaving the original button there.

I wanted to bring it to the local Ovation dealer here in Singapore to have it fixed but I was disappointed when told that since the guitar already has a strap button they will not provide the service! (isn't this stupid?) I wasn’t even asking for free service! Unfortunately there is no other authorized dealer apart from this one. I called another shop that specializes in Taylor guitars and they said no problem. I am thinking of writing to Ovation HQ to file a complaint since the warranty advises customers to return to Ovation authorized dealers and centers since it is a unique equipment. And the dealer doesn't want to do it.

Anyway, back to the strap button questions. Hope you guys can offer helpful ideas.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2008-10-11 2:24 AM (#16920 - in reply to #16919)
Subject: Re: Adding/Fixing Strap Button

Ovation uses it's own little system to attach the strap buttons. If you contact them you should be able to acquire a set.
They sent me these is a manila envelope, so postage and shipping time should not be too much of a problem.
You would only have to drill a small hole in the spot you want it. (Very carefully, using a Small drill. Then getting progressively larger.)
Then you insert the fitting into the hole, and use the brass screw to make it 'flare-out'. Then you remove the brass screw and install the button with the other bolt.
I would not worry about the old one.
Either leave it there, or just remove the strap button and put the bolt back in. That would fill the hole, and it would not be very noticeable. Plus you would be able to change it back if you decided to do so.

Sounds easy enough, huh? :cool:

Hillwalker
Posted 2008-10-11 3:44 AM (#16921 - in reply to #16919)

Just an afterthought to Arthur's post; I used a hand drill rather than a power drill when I installed a button on a friends Takamine. The hand drill gives MUCH more control.

HW
Waskel
Posted 2008-10-11 9:17 AM (#16922 - in reply to #16919)

Originally posted by Old Man Arthur:
You would only have to drill a small hole in the spot you want it. (Very carefully, using a Small drill.
OMA, I've been unable to locate a Small drill. Would a Makita or Ryobi work ok? :D
FlySig
Posted 2008-10-11 9:38 AM (#16923 - in reply to #16919)

Binford drills work best.
FlySig
Posted 2008-10-11 9:44 AM (#16924 - in reply to #16919)

Alvin, is your current button attached to the plastic bowl or is it attached to the wooden heel of the neck?

In my opinion, based on no real knowledge or experience, I would not want to drill into the heel of the neck, nor would I want to mount a strap button there. I would want to mount it into the plastic bowl.

Also, have you tried to get used to not holding so tightly with your right arm when you play? It took me a while, but I learned to relax my arm and the guitar does not rotate up so much at all.

There is a product called a Standing Ovation which is another option. It is available on eBay, and it velcro attaches to your guitar to make it not roll up when you play. People here have bought them and say that they work great.
TAFKAR
Posted 2008-10-11 6:07 PM (#16925 - in reply to #16919)

The strap button (well it's more of a loop than a button) on AJ's slothead is mounted on the top of the heel and the guitar reels up more than any I have ever seen:

So two things: I don't think you'd cause structural problems by mounting it on the bottom of the heel, BUT would it cause the guitar to rotate too much the other direction?
Gallerinski
Posted 2008-10-11 8:10 PM (#16926 - in reply to #16919)

Strap button should be on the bottom side of the heel.

Paul Templeman
Posted 2008-10-11 8:40 PM (#16927 - in reply to #16919)

Sorry Dave, but you are absolutely wrong, and regardless of your's and Taylor's attempt to make this an industry standard that's just a lazy, ugly and intrusive place to install a strap button. There are several alternatives and that is the worst. The other obvious choice is in the heel cap, which is aesthetically pleasing, very secure and good for balance but may present a problem with guitar case fit. Ovation's strap button positions are better from a balance aspect, and this can be acheived with a little planning on a non-plastic guitar.
Gallerinski
Posted 2008-10-11 11:07 PM (#16928 - in reply to #16919)

Whatever ...
alvinjismyl
Posted 2008-10-12 3:37 AM (#16929 - in reply to #16919)

Thanks so much for your all suggestions. Fyi, FlySig, the current strap button is on the bowl. I wouldn't want to mount it on the wooden heel either - aesthetically it seems odd to me (personal opinion). I'm sure those who did it find that it works well for them and that's good.

I would write Ovation for the strap buttons OMA recommended. Will keep you guys posted.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2008-10-12 4:00 AM (#16930 - in reply to #16919)

Yeah, I would follow OMA's advice...

Also, if you try to install a strap button on the neck heel you may discover a big chunk of metal under there. (see photo) So be careful with long screws...

Also, depending on your model, if you look at many Ovations you will see that they have the strap button on the treble side of the bowl (on non-cutaway models like this 1115)...

So when you contact Ovation and get the buttons and 'mollies' be sure to ask for directions. I cannot remember if they sent me directions or emailed them to me. I was just replacing a loose button, so I did not have to drill a new hole.
And we want before and after photos, of course... :cool:
Damon67
Posted 2008-10-12 4:18 AM (#16931 - in reply to #16919)

Just get a strap like willie nelson uses on "trigger"

I must say I like the button placement on the treble side best. I only have one like that though, the 1617-4.

I do have a "standing ovation" on my mid bowl LX. I use it too. Works great.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2008-10-12 9:41 AM (#16932 - in reply to #16919)

I've always supposed that Ovation put the strap button on the treble side of the bowl because for years, the volume control was on the bass side. It started going on the bass side of the bowl when, due to the intro of the cutaways, it HAD to go on the bass side. That's when the electronics controls went to the waist of the guitar.

And for the first 3-4 years of Ovation, they didn't put a strap button on their guitars at all. In some early video of Glen Campbell's show, you can see that the strap button on his guitar is in the treble side of the heel of his guitar.

I think Ovation's solution to the strap button, taking advantage of the body material, is wonderful....
Gallerinski
Posted 2008-10-12 10:53 AM (#16933 - in reply to #16919)

The advantage if the strap button on the treble side of the heel (Takamine, Taylor, Collings) is that the strap is pulling "into" the button and not off of it. It's very secure. Some folks don't like it because 1) the strap rubs on the wood of the heel, and 2) if you play way up the neck the side of your hand could hit the button. Just personal preferences.

The original shiny bowls came with only a strap button at tehe end of the guitar. The trend with most guitars of that era was to attach the strap to the headstock. Most owners installed strap button into the heel. At some point near the end of the shiny bowl era, factory installed buttons started being put on the treble side, attached to the bowl. This is where they are on the Josh and Balladeer reissues as well. When the textured bowls were introduced most of the strap buttons were put on the bass side. But then, as Moody points out, when the first generation A/E models came out it was back to the treble side for the button.

Of course for every fact, there are just as many exceptions. I had an Adamas I with a strap button on the back of the heel, AND ANOTHER ONE on the treble side of the heel.

Dave
alvinjismyl
Posted 2008-10-15 7:59 PM (#16934 - in reply to #16919)

Emailed Ovation customer service and they said they'll mail the strap button to me ASAP. Will update your guys when it arrives and i get it fixed.
alvinjismyl
Posted 2008-11-13 11:28 AM (#16935 - in reply to #16919)

I finally received the strap button from Ovation. However, I haven't got time to fix anything yet due to work schedule.

Anyway, before I try anything, I want to know if the arrangement is in right order. Unfortunately I can't seem to find feature to post pics here. Somebody enlighten me on this?
Mark in Boise
Posted 2008-11-13 11:43 AM (#16936 - in reply to #16919)

Go over to the Ovation Fan Club Social Network by clicking the link at the top of this page. It's pretty easy to post pics there and then link them back here.
Capo Guy
Posted 2008-11-13 12:11 PM (#16937 - in reply to #16919)

How To Install A Strap Button in 12 Easy Steps

Step 1. Open shipping package.

Step 2. Locate parts and installation instructions

Step 3. Throw away directions

Step 4. Go to garage and get power tools.

Step 5. Charge the dead battery on drill.

Step 6. Get ready to drill hole in guitar.

Step 7. Realize that you're really not sure what size and location of hole.

Step 8. Rummage through trash looking for directions and realize they are in the trash that was picked up earlier that morning.

Step 9. Utter a few choice words.

Step 10. Start a thread on the OFC asking how to install strap button.

Step 11. Wade through 50 posts by old farts who don't know how to do it either.

Step 12 Send guitar to mothership for strap button installation.
MWoody
Posted 2008-11-13 12:28 PM (#16938 - in reply to #16919)

Mike W

You can say that again!

Mike W
an4340
Posted 2008-11-13 12:59 PM (#16939 - in reply to #16919)

I think the reason he may not want to send the guitar back to the mother ship, is that he is on the other side of the planet.

I remember there being a pretty good luthier in Singapore, but for the moment I can't remember his name.

You can post pics in the member access page. See link at top. This is a DYI job, but if you have any hesitation just bring it to someone.

OK lah.
an4340
Posted 2008-11-13 2:22 PM (#16940 - in reply to #16919)

I just noticed this regarding the picture function:

This version of the gallery feature is being phased out.
Please signup and use the new enhanced gallery at ovationfanclub.ning.com.
Please move any pictures you wish to save to your new gallery by January 1, 2009.

So I guess I'll look for pics on the other site.
ProfessorBB
Posted 2008-11-13 2:48 PM (#16941 - in reply to #16919)

Originally posted by The Artist (FKA Richard):
The strap button (well it's more of a loop than a button) on AJ's slothead is mounted on the top of the heel and the guitar reels up more than any I have ever seen:
Roundback guitars only reel up like that in the Southern Hemisphere. North of the equator, the effect is opposite.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2008-11-13 3:00 PM (#16942 - in reply to #16919)

Originally posted by The Artist (FKA Richard):
The strap button (well it's more of a loop than a button) on AJ's slothead is mounted on the top of the heel and the guitar reels up more than any I have ever seen
I just picked up and played my OFC'er (ding!) with the mounting ring in the same spot. No problem with the guitar rotating up. I do have a concern regarding the mounting integrity of the ring. Pull hard enough on it and it could come right out of the guitar.....
cliff
Posted 2008-11-13 4:27 PM (#16943 - in reply to #16919)

Follow your mother's advice, and stop pulling on it . . .
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)