The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Introduction

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

MatrixMan
Posted 2011-09-23 4:04 PM (#804)
Subject: Introduction

Hello all,

So glad to have found this board. I've read through a lot of posts, recent and ancient, and found them to be informative and entertaining. I especially like the fact that most folks here seem to get along. I haven't seen any flame wars that make other discussion sites sometimes unpleasant.

I'll kick off by telling you about my three O's (w/ apologies if you find yourself nodding off!).

First: 1978 USA Matrix Model 1132 (I think). I say "I think," because about ten years ago, my then two-year-old son thought it would be fun to reach into the sound hole and pull the paper sticker off, ripping it in the process. Argh.

It's a non-electric, with fiberglass ("foam") neck and aluminum fretboard. My father-in-law, a true yard sale fanatic, came home with this one day (he paid $25!). I played it and drooled. It had the action of an electric guitar, and was LOUD. Being the nice guy that he was, he said "take it." I didn't refuse.

The frets are not worn down, and I'm careful not to bend strings, as I know that once the fret-buzz starts, this baby's good for slide work only. The top has some horrible spider web-like cracks in the finish from prior abuse (I guess), but the wood itself is fine. It's my "beater" guitar, in that I can take it camping and not worry too much if the drizzle starts while my friends and I howl our drinkin' songs round the fire. Usual strings are D'Add mediums

Second : 1999 USA Std Balladeer 12-string, model 6751, with older-looking electronics than I've seen on other 6751's. Gawd, this thing plays great and sounds even better. I play in a praise band most Sundays, and this beauty sounds wonderful though an amp or the PA. I use Martin Silk & Steel lights most of the time.

Purchased off of ebay years ago for around $500. Wasn't sure what "Model 6751-R" shown in the ebay description meant, until I received the axe in the mail, and saw the "Factory Refurbished" sticker inside. I felt a little cheated, but gave the unit a very thorough inspection, and found nothing to complain about. It looked brand new, and I could not find any flaws. This is far and away the best guitar I have ever owned.

Third: 200? Korean Ovation MCS-148 Mando. Finally, a disappointing Ovation. I made the mistake of going into Guitar Center with a wad of cash burning a hole in my pocket (this was back in the days when companies paid bonuses to employees, and I'd just received mine). Saw this cutie, strummed a few chords, and took it home. Cost about $400, iirc.

Its a disappointment in that the action above the third fret or so is just too high for comfort. $40 chinese mandos play easier than this one. I see no way to adjust the neck, so I imaging filing-down the saddle is my only option. One of these days, I'll get around to doing this (or have a pro do it). In the meantime, the mando collects more dust.

If you're still with me, thanks for reading. I hope to be able to add a helpful hint or snarky comment once in a while.

Mike
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Patch
Posted 2011-09-23 4:20 PM (#805 - in reply to #804)
Subject: Re: Introduction

Welcome Mike.

Have you looked under the saddle in your mando? If not, you will likely find a shim or three. Remove them as necessary to adjust your action. If you get a buzz, you took out one too many.
Damon67
Posted 2011-09-23 5:01 PM (#806 - in reply to #804)

Welcome Mike, listen to Patch
MatrixMan
Posted 2011-09-30 12:15 PM (#807 - in reply to #804)

Originally posted by Patch:
Welcome Mike.

Have you looked under the saddle in your mando? If not, you will likely find a shim or three. Remove them as necessary to adjust your action. If you get a buzz, you took out one too many.
Now why didn't I think to look for shims? Sure enough, one thick and one thin shim were sitting under the saddle. Took 'em both out, put a new set of D'Add ball-ends on, and the action is WAY better, with no fret buzz. It wasn't ever playable (to me, anyway), due to high action. Now that that's fixed, I feel like I just got a "new" mando. Thanks Patch!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)