The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
7¢ cover!

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

Strummin12
Posted 2003-08-25 12:35 PM (#204905)
Subject: 7¢ cover!

Hey...

This weekend I met a local blues singer/songwriter, Son Lewis, at a benefit gig we were both playing. We chatted for quite a while packing up the equipment after the show.

Not only was he extremely talented and friendly, but had a lot of industry info to share. He's in his 50's, still tours and records, and was really quite helpful with "inside" info.

One of the things that I found very interesting was that he said that you can record a "cover song"-legally-to sell on cd MUCH easier than is generally let on. Son has done this several times himself, as he has re-recorded his own versions of blues tunes. He said now there is a website (I forget, but can find out) that enables this quite easily. You tell them how many copies of the cd you intend to press (say 100-for us small time guys!) and which song you are going to cover. They charge you 7¢ per song copy you press ($7 for 100 cds) to your credit card, and then disperse the 3.5¢ to the writer, and 3.5¢ to the publisher. Yes, that's HALF to the publisher. Then you're legal to go! That's it.

He also mentioned that most record companies tell you that you CAN'T record cover songs-but this is only because they want to get 1/2 the publishing royalties of any song you write that will potentially be a hit. If you record a cover song that becomes a hit (again) they won't make nearly as much money, and those publishing rights can potentially add up to millions. Apparantly, record deals often include publishing right contracts too, and they want to own you as much as possible. Greedy ass bastards!

Just some tidbits I can (barely) remember.

Johnny
Top of the page Bottom of the page
cliff
Posted 2003-08-25 1:06 PM (#204906 - in reply to #204905)
Subject: Re: 7¢ cover!

Hmmm, . . . .interesting.

btw John, that was a GREAT set you guys did!
While we didn't get there in time to catch any of the other acts, I guess it'd be needless to say that you guys definitely "rocked" the evening!

If you guys do it again though, you might wanna take one thing under consideration:

That PA system that they had there was a little underpowered for you guys. Your "thumping" bass style was "clipping" the amp. I tought that perhaps the guy who was running it would've caught it, but he was busy floating around.
From where we were sitting, I could see the little indicator on the mixer/head flashing in conjunction with your thumps, and there were momentary drop-outs in the vocals when you thumped during any high-level vocal passages.

Had it been a longer set, I was gonna run up and bring it to your attention.

All in all, a great set!
And judging by the crowd response, I'd say you guys were the high point of the evening!
Strummin12
Posted 2003-08-25 2:31 PM (#204907 - in reply to #204905)

Thanks Cliff-

Yeah, I heard the clipping several times too...but thought it was just the monitor signal. Too much to assume the sound guy would've caught it coming through the mains and made adjustments, I guess.

I didn't worry about it because we were just doing a few songs, and I generally am not expecting much in those circumstances using other people's gear/judgement. Had I known it was coming though the main speakers, I would've said something. From where we were, we could hardly hear the monitor or the mains, nor could we even see beyond the stage with those lights on us.

Eh, it's all for a benefit. What can ya do?

Nice of you guys to make it though. Thanks for showing.

Be well,
Johnny
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-08-26 4:07 AM (#204908 - in reply to #204905)

Johnny, very interesting, let us know the website when you find it. This might open up a few more avenues for the OFC CD. My band has just contributed 2 cover versions to a compliation CD. The producer paid a one-off payment to the respective publishers which was around £35 per song.
alpep
Posted 2003-08-26 8:33 AM (#204909 - in reply to #204905)

I sincerely doubt this is the case. IF it was why would the record companies complain so much about file swapping
Strummin12
Posted 2003-08-26 9:16 AM (#204910 - in reply to #204905)

Paul-

I wrote Son Lewis for that web address. I will post it as soon as I get a reply, and we can check it out.

Be well.
Johnny
Strummin12
Posted 2003-08-29 10:03 AM (#204911 - in reply to #204905)

Paul-

I just received an email back from Son Lewis with the following:

"The website is http://www.songfile.com

It is the registration and search site for the Harry Fox Agency (HFA).  HFA is an outfit in NY that has been set up by ASCAP, BMI, etc. to be responsible to collect all mechanical royalties for writers and publishers."

Enjoy the weekend!
Johnny
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-08-30 12:44 AM (#204912 - in reply to #204905)

Al, I haven't seen any paperwork as yet, but as I understand it the fee appears to be in relation to the number of units in circulation. Press a small mumber of CD's and a small-ish one-off fee is payable.
Bailey
Posted 2003-08-31 1:37 AM (#204913 - in reply to #204905)

garageband.com seems to be a site for promoting a CD. It fits the ideas that were discussed on some earlier posts of a place to place your songs and possibly have some recognition. garageband.com

I've been checking it out and it seems legit, you have to review songs to be a part of the site which gives every song a chance to be heard and reviewed.

Any comments?

Bailey
Paul Wag
Posted 2003-11-01 11:14 AM (#204914 - in reply to #204905)

Man, I remembered reading this post and finally found it again after several different search tries.

I've got a question for some of you with more experience in promoting bands and such.

Our band is attempting to make our own demo CD. We recorded 8 songs, did three takes of most to get a good track down. We ended up with what we think is good enough to hand out to club managers (and send in for the Ovation Fan Club CD, with me on my Viper bass!). Four songs are original and four songs are covers.

What we are unsure of is, is it OK to put the cover songs on there without paying the "Mechanical Royalties"? We will be giving the CD away, not selling it. I looked up one of the cover songs on www.songfile.com and it was available for "mechanical royalties" payment.
I did a lot of reading on "How Stuff Works" Music Royalties this morning. But didn't find a definative answer.

Another question on a good demo CD for handing out to bar managers, etc.
Should the demo be full tracks or just samples of the tracks?

Thanks!!
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-11-01 12:49 PM (#204915 - in reply to #204905)

If it's for promo purposes only & you do not receive any direct financial benefit from the recording then I wouldn't worry about it. While that is not strictly legal, it's a very common practice. My band just contributed a couple of covers to a compilation CD. The guys who put out the CD licenced the tracks for very little money. I think it was around £30 for the 2 songs.
Bailey
Posted 2003-11-02 1:51 AM (#204916 - in reply to #204905)

Paul W.

I agree with Paul T. If it is a demo for getting gigs etc. and giving to your fans, I don't think you have any problem. When you get ready to make your star CD, hopefully somebody like Paul T. will steer you through the dangerous rapids of song protection.

Bailey
Paul Wag
Posted 2003-11-02 10:26 AM (#204917 - in reply to #204905)

Thanks for the input guys. We'll see if this increases our gigs every month!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)