The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Rolling Stone Greatest 100 Guitar Players

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

Standingovation
Posted 2003-08-28 10:00 PM (#204716)
Subject: Rolling Stone Greatest 100 Guitar Players

I just looked through the latest Rolling Stone mag and they have a cover story and spread listing the "100 Greatest Guitar Players Of All Time". It was compiled by the "editors" and makes no reference to the criteria. Is it 100 greatest ROCK, RECENT, GRUNGE, etc. NO it's just very generic THE 100 GREATEST.

The #1 choice was of course Hendrix, and I'm not going to argue with that. But most interesting to me were the names MISSING. The following were NOT considered to be among the 100 Greatest Of All Time: Andres Segovia, Al DiMeola, Steve Hackett, and I'm sure many others that would stun us all. I mean give me a break - Al DiMeola not in the top 100 ????

Maybe we can find solice in the fact that Kurt Cobain beat out Jeff Beck and Carlos Santana. Or that Jack White (White Stripes) and Ron Asheton (The Stooges) finished more than 20 places ahead of John McLaughlin. Thurston Moore (Sonic Youth) crushes Steve Howe by 30 places!

Some notable acoustic players did make the list - Richard Thompson, Robert Johnson, Steven Stills and John Fahey.

Hey - everyone has their opinions and favorites, and I can certainly respect those that are different then mine. But this just seems way out of wack to me.

Dave

PS - Don't dump on me for reading RS. IT was a free subscription in return for ringing up some massive overdue points on my credit card.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
moody, p.i.
Posted 2003-08-28 10:53 PM (#204717 - in reply to #204716)
Subject: Re: Rolling Stone Greatest 100 Guitar Players

Dave:

I know you bought that issue because the Olson twins were on the cover.

Not to beat a dead horse, but was Chet Atkins, Jerry Reed, or Glen Campbell in the list? All are/were better than any number of the people on the list.
alpep
Posted 2003-08-28 11:18 PM (#204718 - in reply to #204716)

lists are exactly that, lists.
magazines use them to promote sales, vh1/mtv use them to promote viewers.
big deal somedays kurt cobain is number one on my list other days the romeros. I bet the romeros were not even mentioned nor do I bet many here know who they are.
Bailey
Posted 2003-08-29 1:17 AM (#204719 - in reply to #204716)

Al

I do, I,ve got a nice vidiotape of their history and status, great family.

Just a remark on Rolling Stone (I was here when it came on the scene and I've watched it's Rolling Stone Coaster ride from sublime to ridiculous), they are more of a judge of style than substance and most of their writers have no idea of how music is played, only how it is SOLD. I would be more suspicious if they chose Django as one of the top ten, than if they said as is typical of RS writers "There was a crippled hand gypsy named Reinhart who wandered around in the 30's and 40's, playing with whoever would have him, that was claimed by some (none of them remotely top dog (you know what I mean)) to be an adequate guitar player, I sure didn't see him at the MTV awards, so there!".

Bailey
cliff
Posted 2003-08-29 8:17 AM (#204720 - in reply to #204716)

RS is playing to their "demographics" (no surprise).
Ergo, any jaggoff now with a 7-string tuned at some oddball tuning, dripping with distortion and numerous effects, while wearing the Sunday funnies on his arms and a chain link fence in his nose can become a "GuitarGod" with just one song with a "hook" and a video.

btw:

. . . . does anybody know the exact number of days left until the Olsen's turn 18?
(I had it marked on a calendar, but Jeanette threw it out!)
I think a National Holiday'd be in order.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2003-08-29 8:46 AM (#204721 - in reply to #204716)

Open season...? Or "Fire In the Hole!"
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2003-08-29 2:18 PM (#204722 - in reply to #204716)

I guess I need a history lesson.

Why does Hendrix top any list of guitarists? I've listened to his work, he's got a unique style and sound. Was he one of the best, sure. THE BEST?? I 'm not so sure, and think I'm missing something. Same thing goes for Clapton who makes it to the top of any list that Hendrix isn't on top of.
cliff
Posted 2003-08-29 2:40 PM (#204723 - in reply to #204716)

I'm with you, Miles.
While I have a considerable degree of respect for Mr. Hendrix's work, I often wonder how much longevity he would've had if he lived. I don't own any of his work, as I've heard it far too many times on the radio.

I think the more important question is:
"What constitutes THE best guitarist?"
Speed? Phrasing? Inflection? Emotion? Technical Expertise? Improvisational Skills? and what percentage (or combination) of what constitutes the "best".

And WHO's opinion (and musical tastes) have more gravity than somebody else's?

". . Let me remind of the pilgrim who asked for an audience with the Dalai Llama, who was told he must first spend five years in contemplation. After the five years, he was ushered into the Dalai Llama's presence, who said "Well My Son, what do you wish to know?". So the pilgrim said, "I wish to know the Meaning of Life, Father". With that, the Dalai Llama smiled and said:
"Well My Son, . . Life is like Ice Cream, . . . isn't it?" . . . . . . "

- borrowed (and "bastardized") from Procol Harum's "In Held T'was In I"
Standingovation
Posted 2003-08-29 3:00 PM (#204724 - in reply to #204716)

No question about it - in the music business being dead generally rises your stock. Bonus points if it's a drug overdose, murder, or suicide. I mean - did anyone really know who Selena was before she got killed? And even John Lennon had a lot of non-fans during his later years because they still held it against him for "breaking up the Beatles" due to his relationship with Yoko. But once he got killed, everyone loved him and he was bigger than Jesus Christ. Well, he always was bigger than JC, but that's another story. Back to Miles comment about Hendrix - For my money, I would vote Hendrix as a Top 5 on the greatest dead guitarist list. Dave
DPM
Posted 2003-08-29 5:25 PM (#204725 - in reply to #204716)

These kind of lists generally only pay attention to tne most recent. I watched the 100 greatest country song and was shocked that stand by your aman was number 1. I was glad to see sever Glenn Campbell Songs in the list but come on stand by your man. I think not.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-08-30 12:33 AM (#204726 - in reply to #204716)

Ask someone who hates country music to name a country song... 99% will say "Stand By Your Man" Which while being impressive in one sense is hardly a indicator of "greatness"

These lists are compiled by idiots for idiots. It's a classic case of the bland leading the bland. In that list of the supposed 100 "best" guitarists where were David Grissom, Stuert Smith,
Sonny Landreth, Ry Cooder or David Lindley? All of whom in terms of tone, technique, taste and musicality, could run rings around Clapton, Hendrix, Carlton, Beck, Johnson, or the rest of the usual top 10 suspects. Not that I'm condoning any kind of competitive bullshit, but it seems that the genuinely creative & innovative are overlooked for sake of magazine sales. a mag with Hendrix or Clappton on the cover will outsell Cooder Or Lindly considerably
Bailey
Posted 2003-08-30 1:42 AM (#204727 - in reply to #204716)

Dave

I knew who Selena was before she was killed. I was driving over an hour each way to and from work in South El Paso in a company truck while installing a new water system in a colonio at federal expense. I found some of the best music was coming from the Mexican language stations so I listened to them on that long drive. Selena's songs stood out sorta like Tanya Tucker's in the 60's, or Brenda Lee.

Bailey
biglouis
Posted 2003-08-30 2:47 AM (#204728 - in reply to #204716)

All

I too have never understood the cult of Hendrix. Yep, he is definitely up there as a great guitarist of all time but, hey, what about Wes Montgomery, Django Reinhardt, Les Paul, Robert Johnson, and so on. Those guys really established the guitar as a solo intrument and deserve a mention.

This will make Paul laugh - or any other Brit reading this thread. Who do Ithink are great guitarists? Bert Weedon and Wally Whyton! Without them I'd never have had any interest in playing the guitar! But you'll never find them in any lists.

L
moody, p.i.
Posted 2003-08-30 9:27 AM (#204729 - in reply to #204716)

I suspect that the current crew at RS have never heard of Django or Wes M, or the other s mentioned above.
Paul Wag
Posted 2003-08-30 1:50 PM (#204730 - in reply to #204716)

Just to throw in 2¢ worth....

I remember reading Rolling Stone with reverance in my youth, it's a rag now. This month's cover did catch my eye :eek:

I've watched those damn Olsen twin movies toooo many times (I have three daughters, currently 12, 10 and 4, so you can imagine, the oldest one is now into Weezer and Good Charlotte, at least she's outgrown Brittany Spears, et.al...)

The second time I went to see Richard Thompson, I elevated him in my world view from guitar hero to guitar god!

And just for a local plug, Stephen Bruton should be a top player in any list, toured with Bonnie Raitt for years and has some excellent solo work.....
Paul Wag
Posted 2003-08-30 1:52 PM (#204731 - in reply to #204716)

Guess I'm screwed up, is this months cover Jimmie Hendrix and last months the Twins???? I noticed the twins while wlking through the airport this week....
Bailey
Posted 2003-08-31 12:42 AM (#204732 - in reply to #204716)

No mention of Les Paul and Mary Ford?
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2003-09-24 8:49 AM (#204733 - in reply to #204716)

What about Ron Block of Union Station??? His guitar work is stunning and when he uses his guitar blues-chokes on his banjo.... brilliant!
tholmes
Posted 2003-09-24 10:40 AM (#204734 - in reply to #204716)

After perusing the "Best 100 Guitarists" list, I came to the realization that i must be really old. I haven't heard of at least 30% of the people listed.

Tom
grrroovedude
Posted 2003-09-24 3:12 PM (#204735 - in reply to #204716)

Relax, i don't consider myself old at 33, but i don't know them either. They are probably just the ones with the most endorsements :)

Martin
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2003-09-24 3:30 PM (#204736 - in reply to #204716)

Hey Tom,

I noticed you listed the '73 Gibson Hummingbird as part of your family.... I also have a '73 H.B.Custom (not the fancy inlays) blond top/cherry sides & back... bought it new in '74... it has been my main guitar all these years (including the hippie years ('74-'80)until I recently saw how much it is now worth! $$$$... hard to believe I now own a collector's item! it sure is a sweet bird!
tholmes
Posted 2003-09-24 3:45 PM (#204737 - in reply to #204716)

Hey, Tim!Good to see another 'bird player!
Mine is also a Custom, Natural top, block inlay. I bought it new in '73 for the princely sum of $400!! It is well used now, Having numerous dings, a repaired neck crack, 2 repaired back cracks, and has been re-fretted twice.It also is on it's second case. It has been my main (often my only) acoustic for 30 yrs. Still a sweet ol' guitar, though

Tom
cliff
Posted 2003-09-24 3:51 PM (#204738 - in reply to #204716)

Okay guys, take it over to the Gibson Board, will ya'!!! :D

". . . If it ain't Round, it don't Sound!! . . ." ;)
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-09-24 7:47 PM (#204739 - in reply to #204716)

"If it's a 'bird it sounds like a turd"

Yep, that double cross-brace really made those '70's Gibsons sound great.
biglouis
Posted 2003-09-25 1:38 AM (#204740 - in reply to #204716)

I meant to post this when the thread originally started. This is a really cool book, entitled 1000 Great Guitartists. My edition is 1994 but I've just noticed on Amazon that the latest version includes a CD and I'm sure has been updated. Check it out, you won't be disappointed as apart from mini biographies there are some great pictures of the people, album covers and guitars.

1000 Great Guitarists by Hugh Gregory
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)