The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
strings acoustic or electric?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

Nils
Posted 2003-09-11 4:05 PM (#204327)
Subject: strings acoustic or electric?

There was a little tag on my Elite 12 that said it was strung with D'Addario strings, but it didn't say what kind. Are they acoustic or electric? They appear to be phosphor bronze so I'm guessing acoustic? I measured the little E strings & they're 12's.
Since I started playing with the "group" over in Bend, my string requirements have changed somewhat. Before I started playing over there, I was primarily interested in easy to play, sound/volume was not needed (or desirable usually, small house). If I wanted more sound I could just plug in. Now I need acoustic volume. I'm getting plenty of sound out of it now with the original strings. (Which have held up really well, although they're about ready to be replaced now.)
I have on hand a set of light (.010's) D'Addario phosphor bronze acoustics & a set of Martin 80/20 bronze lights (.012's), also acoustic.
I'm not sure which I'm going to put on. I'm leaning towards trying to D'Addarios first, it seems to me that I tried some Martin strings some time ago & didn't care much for 'em. I know I put D'Addario '010's on my "high strung" Celebrity, it didn't seem to lose too much difference in the sound & it made it easier to play. The Elite is easy to play with the 12's, it might be *really* nice with 10's. I'm not sure where I got these Martins but I've had 'em a while.
Any thoughts about this stuff out there?

Nils
Top of the page Bottom of the page
moody, p.i.
Posted 2003-09-11 4:19 PM (#204328 - in reply to #204327)
Subject: Re: strings acoustic or electric?

Nils:

Go buy some Elixir lights for your 12 string. They sound wonderful, last forever, and are easy on the fingers.
Nils
Posted 2003-09-11 4:41 PM (#204329 - in reply to #204327)

OK Paul, I'll see if they have some at the O'Store. :) Acoustic I presume?

Nils
cliff
Posted 2003-09-11 4:45 PM (#204330 - in reply to #204327)

acoustic.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2003-09-11 4:45 PM (#204331 - in reply to #204327)

Get acoustic strings. Always acoustic strings for your Elite. Light gauge Elixirs. Probably cost about $20-$25 but worth every penny.
playadamas
Posted 2003-09-11 4:58 PM (#204332 - in reply to #204327)

I still prefer the Adamas 1616 (1818 for 6-string) strings. They don't last as long as the Elixir. Unless you sweat like Paul T. it should be fine. The last time I changed the strings on my various 12's are at least over 3 months ago, and they still ring just fine. Just my personal thoughts.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2003-09-11 5:05 PM (#204333 - in reply to #204327)

Interesting comment about Paul T. He left here yesterday morning and I spent last night wiping down the strings of the guitars he played trying to get rid of the corrision. Don't let him touch you man, you'll rust!
cliff
Posted 2003-09-11 5:51 PM (#204334 - in reply to #204327)

oil can what?
Shaft
Posted 2003-09-11 11:44 PM (#204335 - in reply to #204327)

I put Elixirs on my old Balladeer and they are great. A buddy of mine that plays a 1968 Balladeer that he bought in 1968 grabbed my guitar the other day and was like "wow! this sounds so good and plays so easy!" I've had a couple of non ovation guys say the same thing with my guitar. One guy played it, looked at his wife and said, "honey if I get a guitar like this with these strings...I'll be touching the guitar more than you."
I still prefer my wife over the guitar but the Elixirs did make me think.
-Shaft
Bailey
Posted 2003-09-12 1:06 AM (#204336 - in reply to #204327)

Good discussion

I have strong opinions on strings, but they seem to be well represented here. I always reccommend medium or heavier on acoustic 6 strings, light is fine on 12 strings. I have never tried Elixers, but the idea sounds great, I prefer phosphor bronze on acoustics. brand name not too important, as they all appear to come from the same factory like our gasoline. I used to buy what was on sale or house singles if the store had them.

Bailey
Nils
Posted 2003-09-12 2:33 AM (#204337 - in reply to #204327)

I went to the O'Store this evening. Steven had Elixer light acoustics (.012's) for a six string but not for a 12, so I bought a set & we put 'em on my ES-175, since it needed strings too. Steven let me use his guitar bench to change strings. (Very handy.) I LIKE 'EM! Good suggestion Mr. Moody! As soon as I played the 175 I had Steven order me some for the 12. They sound great & they feel smooth & kinda *soft* to the touch. They were a tad spendy, but if they last as long as claimed they might be cheaper in the long run. They were $15.75 after my 20% discount, but hey, he let me use his bench & equipment & then he tuned it for me.
I took a few minutes, (like I always do), & played a few guitars while I was at the store. That blue weave top Adamas is still there, but the Folklore has been sold. Not that I could buy either one right at the moment anyway. The Elite T is still there. That Adamas is becoming more & more "last years model" all the time I think. It's been there a long time. Steven knows how much I like it, I wouldn't be surprised if he lowers the price again. If it gets much cheaper I might have to have him set it in the back room & let me start slipping him spare C notes from time to time until it's paid for. Shouldn't take more than a year or two :)
I think he really screwed up by not setting that thing up before he hung it in there. I think most of the people that may have been interested tried it once, thought "yuck" & never picked it up again. I asked him what he did to it & he said he had to pull out a shim from under the saddle, replace the strings & adjust the neck. In other words, it really was crappy when I first tried it & needed a lot of adjusting. Nice now though.
I played two other guitars while I was there that I was quite impressed with. They were made by Breedlove & they are VERY nice guitars. He had 4 of them there, One was sold (for $3,600) so I couldn't play that one, but I did play two others. One was a used dreadnaught in excellent condition for $1,995. That one had a really booming bass that rivaled the mid bowl Adamas. The other was a slightly smaller guitar, I'm afraid I don't know what the style is called, but it sounded very good too. It's slightly smaller than the dreadnaught, is less "boxy" & more "curvy". Flat top, round hole. It has a very nice sound, a superb neck (for my hand at least) & a price tag of $2,600. There was a third one there, the only one with a cutaway. I'll see if I can take that one for a spin next time I go over there. Interestingly enough, the Breedloves are made in Tumalo, about 15 miles from Bend, 30 miles from here. I'm going to take a factory tour at my first opportunity. They certainly are gorgeous instruments. The one that was sold had Bloodwood binding around nearly everything. Beautiful thing. The smaller one was all walnut except for the spruce top & the ebony & whatever parts. Mostly it was walnut. Great guitars, but I'druther have the Adamas, I'd be afraid to take a Breedlove anywhere. If he comes down another few hundred bucks on that blue job.....
I took a very old fiddle over to have his luthier look at it. My wife inherited it from an uncle. I know nothing about fiddles, but this one looked like a fairly nice one. Steven seemed to think it was worth putting some money into.
Btw, the kid is gone, Steven is using the guy that worked on my Celebrity that I liked. I should hear something about it Saturday.

I played with the folks in Bend again this evening, trading off between the 175 & the Elite. The 175 is definitely more comfy than it used to be & it sounds much better with the Elixers. Of course the strings I took off were really gone, so the difference was very noticable. Can't wait to get a set for my Elite.

Nils
grrroovedude
Posted 2003-09-12 3:44 AM (#204338 - in reply to #204327)

What's so special about these Elixirs? The guy in my musicstore said he found them mostly expensive, beside being good strings and not worth the price difference. I usually play Ernie Ball Earthwood Lights (.011-.052). Especially with my new SMT they have a BIG booming bass. Dang this guitar is LOUD! I ususally used to play my ibanez when watching TV, but it's impossible to hear a thing they say now :)

I must say I find € 21 for a set of strings is a lot of money. :)

Martin
Adaman
Posted 2003-09-12 6:03 AM (#204339 - in reply to #204327)

I put Elixirs on my Adamas - huge difference in sound, much fuller, worth every penny. I'll try them on my Viper next.

Funny thing was, I only bought them because I'd won an Elixir fleece in a raffle!
moody, p.i.
Posted 2003-09-12 7:02 AM (#204340 - in reply to #204327)

What's so special about Elixirs?

Well, being coated (and there are several manufacturers that do that now), they last about 3 times as long as an uncoated string. They sound like a string that has been played for a couple of hours. The high ringing sound (crisp?) of a string just put on, isn't there, but the clear mellow sound of a string a day after new is there, and lasts a long long time.
grrroovedude
Posted 2003-09-12 7:38 AM (#204341 - in reply to #204327)

OK, i'm even more curious now. I'll try them. Fortunately i don't have very acidic sweat so i'm curious what the difference will be.

Martin
DirkWilder
Posted 2003-09-12 7:54 AM (#204342 - in reply to #204327)

My preference for my 12 is D'ADDARIO EXP38 COATED PHOSPHOR BRONZE EX LIGHT ($19.99 @ MusiciansFriend,com) very sweet sounding strings that last.
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2003-09-13 8:15 AM (#204343 - in reply to #204327)

I've been using Martin SP+ Phosphor Bronze extra light (.010") and have been very happy....but you guys have got me interested in the Elixirs....next set!!!!
Nils
Posted 2003-09-13 5:45 PM (#204344 - in reply to #204327)

Old fiddle follow-up:

Steven called today & said the old violin I left there is definitely worth fixing up. The "fiddle guy" looked at it today & said all it needs is a good cleaning, some new strings & the bow re-haired. I told him to go for it. Hopefully I'll get it back when I go to Bend again in two weeks for our next get together.
Steven keeps calling it a violin, but the old dude that owned it always said it was a fiddle. Some of the folks I've been playing bluegrass with have things that look just like it & theirs are fiddles too. Go figure. :)
If I can pick it up in two weeks I'll take it over & let a few people that can play the things (whatever they are) try it out & give me an opinion. I can't even tell the difference between a violin & a fiddle, let alone a good one from a POS.
I think I might try sawing away on the poor thing a bit myself. What the hell, I don't think I can hurt it & it can't sound much worse than some of my guitar playing.

Although I could be wrong about that part...

I seem to remember an old re-run episode of Gunsmoke (edit: oops, make that Bananazza, heheheh) that aired (cabled?) a while back, where Hoss got a fiddle (violin?) from the Gypsy Lady, Zsa Zsa Gabor, & nearly drove everybody crazy. Except Hop Sing, for some unknown reason he enjoyed it immensely. I think Hoss even made the horses run off.

Nils
TRboy
Posted 2003-09-13 7:11 PM (#204345 - in reply to #204327)

Nils,

Great "viddle" story but I think Hoss was on Bonanza!! :D
. . . . . . . .

Mike :cool:
Nils
Posted 2003-09-13 9:07 PM (#204346 - in reply to #204327)

Originally posted by Trboy:
Nils,

Great "viddle" story but I think Hoss was on Bonanza!! :D
. . . . . . . .

Well corn my pone! Of course it was Bananaaza! I edited the other post but I left the stupid mistake so your post would still make sense. Can't put one past you Trboy! Musta been a senior moment. :)

/\/\/
TRboy
Posted 2003-09-13 9:55 PM (#204347 - in reply to #204327)

Glad I could help!

Bailey
Posted 2003-09-14 1:10 AM (#204348 - in reply to #204327)

Nils

My brother was a fiddle player who took lessons from a violin player to improve his style, and he credited it with helping a lot. He also bought fiddles all over the country as he travelled around, searching for that rare, overlooked Stradivarious. My opinion of his extensive collection was that fiddles are like family, from the same roots come exceptional talent and effort, and abysmal failure. Every fiddle is its own quality, and name and maker are not the best judge. That's why the top ones are so rare, every ordinary maker has turned out magnificance and junk, the only way to know is to put on strings, tune her up, and see if it plays well as judged by someone who can tell. There was a German make that bluegrass players liked for it's mellow sound and volume and I can't remember it's name, what was not played was true gut stringed violins, steel string only, also the bow is an important part of the equation. Check out a professional bow and visions of Martin D-45s will flash through your mind. Hang on to your fiddle/violin and saw on it if you have time, fiddle playing is like singing, you don't pluck, you flow through the notes and you try to keep a super solid rythym. Give it a try and you will have a hobby that will take care of the rest of your life.

Bailey
samova
Posted 2003-09-25 1:27 PM (#204349 - in reply to #204327)

I found this intersting ad from Kaman about Adamas strings..

http://www.ovationfanclub.com/gallery/samova_ad.jpg
cliff
Posted 2003-09-25 1:31 PM (#204350 - in reply to #204327)

can't open it, Sam.

(Look Out!! Sam's pokin' through his closets again!!)

Bring it On!!
samova
Posted 2003-09-25 1:40 PM (#204351 - in reply to #204327)

Ok ,Cliff here it is.Yes ive been pokin thru the closet again.Found some cool stuff...

http://www.ovationfanclub.com/gallery/samova_ad.jpg
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)