The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Eclipse bass?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-09-16 4:30 AM (#204147)
Subject: Eclipse bass?

I don't recall seeing one of these before

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2558694800&category=4713

I can't recall seeing a Storm series bass with a non-trapeze bridge. Miles? Sam?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
xbj
Posted 2003-09-16 6:20 AM (#204148 - in reply to #204147)
Subject: Re: Eclipse bass?

I've seen 'em before. But not in black. And not with those awful "custom" star inlays either (shades of '76 and Marc Bolan/David Essex pixie dust, bleech!)

I'd be willing to bet this never worked either. Might not even be possible to even make it work without a total overhaul, at least replacing the pickups and wiring.

Les
:)

Originally posted by Paul Templeman:
I don't recall seeing one of these before

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2558694800&category=4713

I can't recall seeing a Storm series bass with a non-trapeze bridge. Miles? Sam?
Standingovation
Posted 2003-09-16 8:48 AM (#204149 - in reply to #204147)

To my knowledge there was never an Eclipse bass. My guess is that someone bolted a Typhoon neck onto an Eclipse body and rigged up the bridge accordingly. Looks like the original 6 string pickups (6 poles). Since there is no center block, I have no idea what they secured the stop tailpiece to. I bet the intonation is just lovely and the pickups and pots do a wonderful job. Dave
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-09-16 10:53 AM (#204150 - in reply to #204147)

Les, there were a couple of Storm basses, the eclipse is unique because it only came in black spackled bowl paint, I've only seen 6-string Eclipses, never a bass.

Dave, they're 4-pole pickups, I had the same concern about the lack of a centre block though. Very strange.
xbj
Posted 2003-09-16 12:42 PM (#204151 - in reply to #204147)

I know, I have a black eclipse guitar, and a gloss black Typhoon III. I agree with Miles, this probably is someone's Frankenstein experiment.

Interesting though... thanks for posting it!

Les

Les, there were a couple of Storm basses, the eclipse is unique because it only came in black spackled bowl paint, I've only seen 6-string Eclipses, never a bass.

Dave, they're 4-pole pickups, I had the same concern about the lack of a centre block though. Very strange.
Standingovation
Posted 2003-09-16 12:43 PM (#204152 - in reply to #204147)

You're right Paul, they are 4 pole. Your eyes are better then mine. But this is still one ugly dog. Really curious to know how he anchored the tail. Dave
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2003-09-16 3:36 PM (#204153 - in reply to #204147)

Actually I didn't say that yet... but I was thinking it. Actually this looks like a Typhoon that's been painted black. But the pickup and bridge placement looks wrong, like someone changed the scale. The neck is not right either.

Interesting piece, but I think it's a rebuilt Typhoon.
Standingovation
Posted 2003-09-16 4:15 PM (#204154 - in reply to #204147)

Miles,

I know the 1st generation Typhoons had the bridge pickup way back near the bridge (duh!). Was the 2nd generation the same? This body on ebay has the pickups in the position of the short neck 6 strings. Also, I think the real storm basses only had 3 pots (Vol, T, T). At least the ones in the gallery are that way. My bet is that this is a Typhoon neck on an eclipse body. Notice that the neck is finished in gloss black. I think real Eclipses have matte necks.

Dave
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2003-09-16 6:40 PM (#204155 - in reply to #204147)

Hard to say Dave and I guess that's the point. It is a whole bunch of parts that aren't in any known configuration. He has 1217-5 as the model and probably got that from the inside of the body which translates to "Typhoon V Fretless Bass". So go figure.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-09-17 5:43 AM (#204156 - in reply to #204147)

Ok, I checked a '71 catalog, which shows a Typhoon V with a fixed tailpeice & bridge rather than a trapeze, available in gloss black as model no 1217-5. But they were bound in white, as there is no binding visible on this bass it's either a DIY refinished Typhoon, or it's bowl paint. The fact that the inside of the guitar has been painted black & the label is still visible suggests it's bowl paint and is original.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2003-09-17 10:01 AM (#204157 - in reply to #204147)

Time to toss in my two cents. I checked a 72 catalog and the Typhoon IV & V basses both had stop tailpieces, but they had covers on them so there was no way of knowing what the bridge and tailpiece looked like. So unless somebody owns one of these and can pull off the cover, for all we know, this equipment may be original.
Beal
Posted 2003-09-17 3:40 PM (#204158 - in reply to #204147)

this is the stop tailpiece that was with those ones. There was a cover with a mute so this wasn't visable.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2003-09-17 3:48 PM (#204159 - in reply to #204147)

W-2:

Saw your pic in the members area. Question: Do you get the bear or did the bear get you?
xbj
Posted 2003-10-14 4:48 PM (#204160 - in reply to #204147)

Okay Paul, thanks for the heads up on this, it just arrived. I don't know if they ever released these commercially, but what I do know is that three "eclipse" basses were made and featured on the Partridge Family, one black, one white, and one deep (but not primary royal) blue. IF Ovation ever released any of these commercially, it was sure to be the black one, just like the black eclipse guitar. And this does have the logo and a serial number. Some of the Partridge props did, they were right "off the rack" so to speak. They didn't want to give them an expensive Deacon though, so they made the prop sunburst Breadwinner we've seen here previously! The blue and white "eclipse" basses did not have logos on the headstock or internal tags.

What makes me believe this is a Partridge is the very unusual placement of the "bridge" pickup, in the center of the bass. Even the Partridge blue and white "eclipse" (for lack of a better word) basses had the bridge pickups nearer the bridge. I've been unable to confirm from videos whether the actual black one on the show had the strange pickup location. On the few shows they used the black one, they never did any closeups of it, preferring the brighter colors of the white and blue ones.

Oh. Those horrific stars came off quickly with no trace!

And I know some of you older guys find this Partridge stuff a huge annoyance, but remember; that show was the largest exposure of Ovation 70's solid and semi-hollow body electrics ever, with constant syndication running in hundreds of countries worldwide since then and currently.

Once again, THANKS Paul!! And THANKS ALSO to CWK2 for the constant invaluable info and help!

This thing is beautiful, in MINT shape! Is it just me or did Ovation just make the mose beautiful necks?

Les

Ok, I checked a '71 catalog, which shows a Typhoon V with a fixed tailpeice & bridge rather than a trapeze, available in gloss black as model no 1217-5. But they were bound in white, as there is no binding visible on this bass it's either a DIY refinished Typhoon, or it's bowl paint. The fact that the inside of the guitar has been painted black & the label is still visible suggests it's bowl paint and is original.
xbj
Posted 2003-10-14 5:10 PM (#204161 - in reply to #204147)

Oh, to answer the post, the eclipse guitars (and basses?) WERE bowl paint right over the binding. The binding is there right under the paint.

My guess is if a body had flaws, they painted it over. Smart!

Les

cliff
Posted 2003-10-14 6:10 PM (#204162 - in reply to #204147)

"...that show was the largest exposure of Ovation 70's solid and semi-hollow body electrics ever, with constant syndication running in hundreds of countries worldwide since then and currently..."

Hmmmm. . . maybe THAT'S why they didn't sell! :D
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2003-10-14 8:50 PM (#204163 - in reply to #204147)

The only thing annoying about the Partridge Family is that Susan Dey never answered my letters.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2003-10-14 9:01 PM (#204164 - in reply to #204147)

I'm surprised. She answered mine.
cliff
Posted 2003-10-15 8:05 AM (#204165 - in reply to #204147)

that was Danny Bonaduce.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2003-10-15 9:17 AM (#204166 - in reply to #204147)

That would explain the red hair....
xbj
Posted 2003-10-16 6:56 AM (#204167 - in reply to #204147)

They didn't sell because they couldn't score a Jimmy Page or Jeff Beck, or heck, even a Mick Ronson. But that makes them rarer today, so I'm actually grateful for that.

Les

Originally posted by cliff:
"...that show was the largest exposure of Ovation 70's solid and semi-hollow body electrics ever, with constant syndication running in hundreds of countries worldwide since then and currently..."
Hmmmm. . . maybe THAT'S why they didn't sell! :D
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)