The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
new owner

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

xnoel
Posted 2003-09-18 4:08 PM (#204016)
Subject: new owner

Last Friday I went to trade some gear for "something acoustic" tried guilds, tacoma, seagull, washburn custom shop, etc. Came home with something I never dreamed I would want, Ovation 1617 Legend,sunburst finish( it is a dark burst)? Made in 1979, not a ding, scratch, or blemish. Sounds great!
This is a great site, much useful information. I have already removed one shim to lower the action.
It came with a case, but not Ovation, this is a nice padded one, but I don't think it is deep enough. Can a deep bowl case be found and how much?
Only problem was "chasing it down my leg" as I played sitting down. I solved this by cutting a 5'x8' piece of tool box liner, the kind with holes in it. I put it on my leg under the bowl. Solved the problem, but are there other ways? I don't like to use a strap when seated.
Thanks for the site!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Strummin12
Posted 2003-09-18 8:28 PM (#204017 - in reply to #204016)
Subject: Re: new owner

Hey-

Congrats and welcome!

I don't experience the problem that you are, but I think in the past some folks wrote in with ideas on this topic.

I do remember when I got my first Ovation there were some changes to get accustomed to after playing a conventional "box" acoustic for so long. But very quickly I got comfortable, and there's no going back.

Perhaps with a little time you will just naturally adjust to the roundback without the need for any tool box liner. You don't need a strap to keep it in place, soon it will become second nature.

I would check ebay for a case, or get in touch with AL (lost art vintage link to the left)...he's a great source for guitars n stuff. He could at least steer you in the right direction if he can't hook you up.

Hang in there, and be well.
John
Dan Krah
Posted 2003-09-18 11:11 PM (#204018 - in reply to #204016)

I had the same problem with my 1617. I use a foot stool to keep it in place. It'll raise your leg so the guitar can't slide forward. You can get one at any music store, they're about $10 - $15.
Nils
Posted 2003-09-18 11:26 PM (#204019 - in reply to #204016)

Welcome aboard xnoel :)
My new Elite has an area of "non-skid" finish on the bowl where it sits on my leg. I don't know how they did it, but it's there. Works pretty good too. That may be something relatively new, I don't know. I wonder if a guy could put a 3/4 inch wide, five inch (+/-) long strip of the stuff they put on boat hulls to make them non-skid back there? Maybe heating the strip with a heat gun before applying it would help it conform to the shape. The color should blend in pretty much. I would guess that mineral spirits would remove it later without damaging the bowl but I don't know. Has anybody ever tried this? We have some stuff at the body shop that will soften & remove just about any kind of sticky back glue without harming paint but it's expensive.

/\/\/
grrroovedude
Posted 2003-09-19 9:56 AM (#204020 - in reply to #204016)

there are a few hsc's on ebay right now for good prices. search ovation and you'll come across them.

martin
TheEliteist
Posted 2003-09-19 12:50 PM (#204021 - in reply to #204016)

Welcome xnoel!
Like Strummin12, I had a little transition into the round back from the tradional "sharp" back, but it did not take too long to realize there was no going back. I remember "having" to use a strap to keep my round backs from sliding down my leg. Now, I never use a strap unless I am standing. Just keep playing and try to keep from using too many "crutches" and I think your body will adjust automatically.
Keep on keepin on!

Dale
Slipkid
Posted 2003-09-22 10:29 AM (#204022 - in reply to #204016)

The "grip-tape" that is used on skateboards works great.
Brad
xnoel
Posted 2003-09-22 11:30 AM (#204023 - in reply to #204016)

Thanks for the welcomes and tips!
The Ovation has got me back to playing everyday. I see it on the stand and just have to pick it up. The problem is going to be that one is not enough! Seems that I am not the only one with that problem though.
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2003-09-23 2:54 PM (#204024 - in reply to #204016)

It seems to be an infection....I have it too..... I bought a Balladeer-12 and seems like it was pregnant... about 2-weeks later there was a Balladeer 6-string!... now, my 1973 Gibson Hummingbirt Custom sits in its case... un-played while "mother and son" get constant caressing!

"Too many guitars" is an oxymoron
Beal
Posted 2003-09-23 4:20 PM (#204025 - in reply to #204016)

This will sound funny but once you get used to playing it the guitar will not slide as much if at all. You'll get used to it and it just won't happen. I myself have seen this hapopen and know it to be true.

The opposite is also true. Having not played an Ovation for about 5-6 years I find they slide all over the place now. I've lost the touch. They don't stay like my Nationals and Collings. (Of course playing a shiney back full bowl Josh White is starting in the deep end with sharks but that's what keeps things fun. See the post from Luthier555 about this) Of course, the sooouuuuuund makes it worth it and I find it not sliding so much anymore.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2003-09-23 4:25 PM (#204026 - in reply to #204016)

Pics, Bill. Pics.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)