The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Kaki King will be touring with Phish bassist Mike Gordon

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

popcritic
Posted 2003-09-23 12:51 PM (#203883)
Subject: Kaki King will be touring with Phish bassist Mike Gordon

Al says to "see her live". I couldn't agree more, and October will provide a chance for many of you to see her in some of the finest concert venues in America. Phish bassist Mike Gordon is doing his first national solo tour, and has chosen Kaki King as the sole opener for all the shows.

http://www.phish.com/news/index.php?year=2003#story127

I think this will be a great opportunity for her music (and choice of instrument) to gain exposure to a wider audience. For those of you unfamiliar with the band Phish, let me just say that as the Grateful Dead were to the '70s and '80s, Phish is to the '90s and to the present.

Speaking of instruments, I had my first chance to see and hear the Adamas II 1581 that she played in Brazil. We had a family reunion in Austin last weekend when she was there to perform at the Austin City Limits Festival. She describes it as "truly great", but I would describe it as a masterpiece. Sonically, it is virtually identical to the one which was stolen last year. The low tones have the same mellow darkness, and the higher strings sing with brilliance and complex overtones. The guitar is stunning to look at--the dark top flecked with tiny specks of gold, the binding suggestive of actual leather, the beautiful contrast between the frets and the rosewood fingerboard, and of course the perfect glossy finish on the neck just like her vintage model. It has two knobs and also the stereo pickups feature. The craftsmanship and attention to detail are as good as I've ever seen. Much respect and big thanks to everyone involved at the factory.

Bless her heart, she's invited me to go along on a four city tour next week with Vic Wooten (Bela Fleck's bassist). We go to Cincinnati, Knoxville, Charlotte and Asheville. For venues and dates, see:

http://www.rosebudus.com/tourdates/king.html

If any of you are along the way, I hope you can make it to the show. OFC members are always welcome.

Finest regards to all and especially Bailey, Al, and luthier444.

Dave King
Top of the page Bottom of the page
cliff
Posted 2003-09-23 1:01 PM (#203884 - in reply to #203883)
Subject: Re: Kaki King will be touring with Phish bassist Mike Gordon

Okay, . . . so when SHE's in Boulder Colorado, I'm in NYC . . . When she's in NYC, . . I'M in Boulder, Colorado!!!!

Figures.
stonebobbo
Posted 2003-09-23 6:18 PM (#203885 - in reply to #203883)

Great news, Pop! Can't wait to see Kaki again.

Your description of her 1581 leaves only one question ... when will Adamas (Ovation) release the signature model? Sounds like something they could sell a bunch of ... I'd buy one. WOuldn't sound nearly as good, tho ...

Have fun on the road trip.
alpep
Posted 2003-09-23 7:17 PM (#203886 - in reply to #203883)

well the phish bassist is at least better than the guitarist Trey anastasio. I really can't stand trey. He noodles too much and I guess I could do that too only not to an audience of thousands.

Victor Wooten haunts me. I have never seen him play the bass below the 12th fret. Great player but isn't bass supposed to be bottom?

oh never mind what the hell do I know I sell gear for a living.
Bailey
Posted 2003-09-24 2:47 AM (#203887 - in reply to #203883)

Popcritic

Good luck on all your, and Kaki's, tours. Music is a tough career, but the rewards are great. If any employer forced an employee to work under the conditions that most musicians face, they would be jailed. Thank you for mentioning my name, I have apprenticed in the dives but I failed to graduate, my kids, however, have turned into accomplished players with twice the understanding of music than this old dairy farmer who had to play in the barn because what we, my brother and I, were playing wasn't music.

Bailey
grrroovedude
Posted 2003-09-24 1:22 PM (#203888 - in reply to #203883)

Is her CD out in europe/will she tour Europe?

Martin
popcritic
Posted 2003-09-24 1:58 PM (#203889 - in reply to #203883)

'Dude, thanks for asking. There are no current plans for a European tour, although I have heard some loose talk about maybe something with Pierre Bensusan. Stand by.

Her cd is available--in Germany see:

http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00008V5TI/qid=1064428448/sr=2-1/ref=sr_aps_prod_1_1/302-5383252-6966401

In UK, see:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00008V5TI/ref=sr_aps_music_1_1/026-9499706-3013259

Best regards--

Dave King
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)