The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Genz Benz

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2003-09-26 7:31 AM (#203830)
Subject: Genz Benz

Someone told me that Kaman had purchased Genz Benz.... any info? If true, wowie... wonder what acoustic amps they'll come up with...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
iconocoustica
Posted 2003-09-26 8:03 AM (#203831 - in reply to #203830)
Subject: Re: Genz Benz

I know Kaman distributes Genz-Benz but I don't know if they own them or not. BTW, I just got a Genz-Benz Shenendoah 100 amp for my CE778 using it to mix the piezo output with a A-T Pro7A lavalier mic placed inside the guitar. It sounds fandamntastic! Someone commented it sounds "normal just louder" and what better compliment for an acoustic-electric guitar. Seems to me that Ovation and Genz-Benz make an awesome combo.

Franklin
alpep
Posted 2003-09-26 8:06 AM (#203832 - in reply to #203830)

The have purchased genz-benz

The shanandoah is a nice amp not as good as a trace but very good for the price range.
Nils
Posted 2003-09-26 2:00 PM (#203833 - in reply to #203830)

Genz-Benz? Mercedes' brother?

/\/\/
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2003-09-26 2:10 PM (#203834 - in reply to #203830)

Could you guide me to information regarding the "trace" amp you are refering to (old topic posts etc)? I've heard conflicting reports about them.... I have a Crate and feel that they truly named it well...
iconocoustica
Posted 2003-09-26 11:38 PM (#203835 - in reply to #203830)

Thanks for the input, Alpep. I actually tried the Trace amps before purchasing the Genz-Benz and was much more impressed with the sound and versatility of the GB, especially for the $. I guess it all comes down to the fact that sound is in the ear of the beholder. Each to his own!

Franklin
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2003-09-27 12:20 AM (#203836 - in reply to #203830)

Hmmm I wonder if now that Kaman ownes Benz Benz I'll finally get some credit for the Speaker Enclosure I designed, inspired or whatever. :)

For those that know any of the story, this isn't sour grapes. I think Genz Benz is one of the best speaker enclosure makers and designers out there. If I needed to have another cabinet made, I would still use them, I'd just get my Copyright first. This cabinet is over 10 years old. It's been used and abused, but there isn't a rip or tear, and it still rocks for not only guitar but I've put keyboards and even bass thru it. It's loaded with EV-Pro speakers with HUGE magnets to handle just about anything. Currently running a Rockman 500 amp into it.

The original design idea came from my always lugging 2 Roland Bolt 60 combo amps (1 x 12's), loaded with EV-Pro speakers. I ran through a Boss Chorus Ensemble or Rockman gear or both... but in any case, I likes the stereo chorus effect and I always angled the cabs about 7 degrees to get some decent separation as those Roland amps were fairly directional. Washington Music Center hooked me up with Genz Benz and Jeff Genzler and the converation was basically... "I want a cabinet that has a horizontal angle like the old Rivera amps, but loaded with heavy duty EV speakers and with 4 ports across the bottom." At first they weren't sure if the baffles could be made strong enough, but they did it. It is alledged that a few of the cabinet makers were guitar players also, and they likes this one so much they made a few more for themselves.

A few years later they made MANY more and sold many more.

I think Genz Benz hooking with Kaman Music Corp is a good thing on many levels. Imagine designing an Acoustic amp and speaker combo specifically to enhance the sound of Ovation guitars.
Bailey
Posted 2003-09-27 1:22 AM (#203837 - in reply to #203830)

I think Guitar Player did a Genz-Benz review recently (within the last year). I'll list the date if I can find it. This is interesting news, Doesn't Genz-Benz make a mike also, or am I imagining something.

Bailey
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)