The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
How can these PUPs be worth this much??

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

Nils
Posted 2003-09-30 10:02 PM (#203628)
Subject: How can these PUPs be worth this much??

Forgive me, this has nothing to do with Ovation, but when I saw this I was astounded.

I stumbled across this auction the other evening while cruising ebay checking out the ES-175's for sale. (I do the same with O's & pogo books :) ) The bid was $1,400 when I saw it & I thought sombody had lost their marbles. I decided to watch just for the hell of it. Then three other obviously marble-less people bid more & more & more! Why is this stuff worth so much money? This seems nuts to me. I could understand it if there was a guitar wrapped around it, but there isn't even any knobs!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2561540607&category=38085&rd=1

/\/\/
Top of the page Bottom of the page
alpep
Posted 2003-09-30 11:02 PM (#203629 - in reply to #203628)
Subject: Re: How can these PUPs be worth this much??

IF You have a 58 LP that is worth say 75 or 100 K then they are well worth it.
to some the gibson PAF pickups are the holy grail and they will probably go in a reproduction guitar that at some point someone will try to pass off as original for huge dollars.
Nils
Posted 2003-09-30 11:28 PM (#203630 - in reply to #203628)

What's the difference between PAF's & humbuckers (yeah I know-about thirty seven hundred dollars :) )? They look about the same, are they wired differently or something?

tia,

/\/\/
MSB
Posted 2003-10-01 2:43 AM (#203631 - in reply to #203628)

Forgive me, this also has nothing to do with Ovation, but when I saw this I was also astounded considering I stumbled across an infomercial the other evening where Esteban and some other guy spent a half hour trying to sell me a guitar. Esteban played this guitar a little and then the camera went in for some close-ups as he described its features. All wood construction, solid spruce top, mahogany neck etc. It came with a nylon guitar bag, neck strap, picks, extra strings, 20 minute video instruction and Esteban's CD, "Enter the Heart". The guitar looked kind-a-like a D18 reproduction. When thy mention the price was $99 I thought somebody had lost his marbles. The same company that built this guitar could reproduce those old corroded $3800 electronics for about a-buck-3.80.
How can you build a guitar, pay for TV advertising and sell it for only $99 on one website when people are paying $3800 for old guitar parts on another website? Now that seems nuts to me.

Mike
$99 guitar
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-10-01 7:25 AM (#203632 - in reply to #203628)

Originally posted by Nils:
What's the difference between PAF's & humbuckers (yeah I know-about thirty seven hundred dollars :) )? They look about the same, are they wired differently or something?

tia,

/\/\/

The term "P.A.F." is part of vintage guitar mythology (or bullshit depending on your standpoint) Basically the difference comes down to a little sticker on the base of the PU. The PAFS have a sticker that say's "Patent Applied For" The later humbuckers have a sticker and later a stamp showing the patent number.

I Think they changed in 1960 or 61. The ridiculous thing is that a '59 PAF pickup will be worth considerably more than a '60 or '61 patent number pickup even though they are identical in every other respect.

Al's right about the forgery thing. If these are real (and the wiring harness suggests they probably are) they could well go in a repro or reissue and help pass it off. Also they are lot's of fake PAF pickups around, it's not difficult to make a "relic" PAF sticker & dupe the unwary.

Hey, the label on my '68 Deluxe Balladeer say "Patent Applied For" That makes it worth 6 figures, right?
alpep
Posted 2003-10-01 7:27 AM (#203633 - in reply to #203628)

Welcome to the wonderful crazy world of the vintage guitar market
cliff
Posted 2003-10-01 8:21 AM (#203634 - in reply to #203628)

Esteban.
What a tool!

Like somebody's gonna fork over $100 for a POS guitar from a guy dressed as Zorro!!

(well, . . actually I HAVE done that, . . . but it was many years ago and was the by-product of too much peyote and mezcal and I don't wanna talk about it!)
luthier444
Posted 2003-10-03 3:33 PM (#203635 - in reply to #203628)

I would love to play one just to see. Someone with influence said the best guitars are the ones that cost 300$ and sound good as opposed to 3000$ and sound good. :D Bye Taylor.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)