The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Hi, I'm new here!

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

bodorf
Posted 2003-10-02 10:31 AM (#203583)
Subject: Hi, I'm new here!

Got a question:- Seeing a few all electric Vipers (with the soap bar style pickups) for sale on the net and tempted to buy one. Can anyone give me info on this cool looking guitar, what to look out for when buying, what years were the best for this guitar etc.

Much appreciated
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-10-02 10:58 AM (#203584 - in reply to #203583)
Subject: Re: Hi, I'm new here!

The Viper came in a few versions but the most common is the 2 pickup all-maple type which are usualy seen in natural, sunburst or a dark mahogany stain. There is a slighty less common 3-pickup version (the Viper 3) Later a few solid colors (black, ivory & red) were added along with an ebony fingerboard option. Later models have a chrome bridge made by Schaller rather than the original Ovation bridge. They were produced from around '75 - '82ish and they were pretty consistent throughout, though I personally prefer the original bridges to the later Schaller version.

Basically the Viper is Ovation's take on the Telecaster, the Viper 3 offers Strat-ish tones as well. Ther're great guitars and can be had very reasonably for a quality US-made guitar.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2003-10-02 4:37 PM (#203585 - in reply to #203583)

So PT, ya' gots me thinkings...

I realize this would actually limit the Viper III pickup selection, but what about putting a knife switch on a Viper III and basically wiring it like a strat. If it is an endjack body instead of jack on the pickguard, could even add the second tone control. Hmmmmmmm
Beal
Posted 2003-10-02 5:21 PM (#203586 - in reply to #203583)

actually the 3 had two tone controls, it was a stacked pot and they worked on the front and mid pickup. Volume control worked for all three pickups (isn't that a good thing!)
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-10-02 6:26 PM (#203587 - in reply to #203583)

You're talking to one of the few people who hates Strats (I love the way they sound, I just can't deal with the layout) The Viper 3 P/U switches gives 2 settings that you can't easily get with a strat 5-way switch, which are bridge/neck together, & all 3 together.
Of course they'll also give you all pickups off, which is not a great idea in the middle of a show. I played Teles for years and always added a middle pickup but used the standard tele pickup selector and put the middle PU on a push/pull pot switch. That way you get the Tele-tones and the Strat-tones plus all 3 on together. The only thing that switching arrangement wont do is middle PU by itself. I can live without that.
All 3 pickups on together on a Viper 3 is a GREAT tone. I have 3 Viper pickups and similar switching on the Breadwinner that I use for slide & it's killer.
BruDeV
Posted 2003-10-02 9:31 PM (#203588 - in reply to #203583)

If you install a switch that connects the neck p/u to the bridge p/u on a strat, it will give you the 2 missing combinations.

pos 1. Neck + Bridge w/ tone control 1
pos 2. All w/ tone controls 1 & 2
pos 3. Middle w/ tone control 2
pos 4. All w/ tone control 2
pos 5. Neck + Bridge w/ no tone control
Bailey
Posted 2003-10-03 1:42 AM (#203589 - in reply to #203583)

Bodorf

A good Viper and a good amp will blow away your mind. Just buy a two pickup one cheap and you are in business. They are high quality Teles, and 10 times better.

Bailey (Viper stinger with an amp that works)
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2003-10-03 2:04 AM (#203590 - in reply to #203583)

Trust me, I am no strat fan as such, but I do like the electronics configuration. Actually the 3-pickup H-S-S like the UltraGS is one of my favorite layouts. I guess someone had to be first, but it seems to me that 90% of the decent strat copies are better than the original.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)