The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
So I Re-strung my Pacemaker 12 Last Night ...

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

Gene B
Posted 2003-10-02 3:40 PM (#203565)
Subject: So I Re-strung my Pacemaker 12 Last Night ...

Went to the nearby GC last night and picked up new strings for my 1115 Pacemaker. It is always an ordeal to change 12 stings in a slotheaded guitar so I decided to go ahead and use some of those new-fangled coated strings. They had Elixir's but they were $25! - for 1 set! Yikes ... they also had D'Addario EXP's for $19 so I decided to try them instead. Well, I must say that I impressed with the tone. They sound very similar to the Phosphor Bronze's I had on it before (uncoated). And, as a bonus my wife said 'they look pretty' ;-) Even the B & E pairs are coated (unlike the Elixir's) and have a nice golden sheen. They seem to stay in tune fine (after a mild stretching) ... I just hope they last twice as long as uncoated strings. (They packaging says 3 or 4 times but I'm a skeptic). Anyone else use them? Do they last? Or is it marketing hype ...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Standingovation
Posted 2003-10-02 5:50 PM (#203566 - in reply to #203565)
Subject: Re: So I Re-strung my Pacemaker 12 Last Night ...

I use EXPs on all my acoustics and am very happy with them. From my experience, I woulds say the life is more like 2x, but there are many factors that come into play here. Dave
Beal
Posted 2003-10-02 6:53 PM (#203567 - in reply to #203565)

OK here's a question. I tried elixers and they are smoother. Has anyone had the experience that they slide on the string posts more than regular strings? Or do I need to go to the factory and learn how to install strings again? We didn't do too much stringing back at the fillin' station in Florida.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2003-10-02 7:40 PM (#203568 - in reply to #203565)

I've used Elixirs for several years now. No sliding on the posts and they do last 3-4 times as long as uncoated strings. Cost twice as much, last 3x as long. That's a good deal in my book.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-10-02 7:52 PM (#203569 - in reply to #203565)

Elixirs are great, especially the Nanowebs, which dont fray where you hit'em. When I can buy a set of Elixirs wholesale for less than 3 sets of regular strings I'll be convinced. Right now I pay less than 3 bucks a set for name-brand USA-made phosphor-bronze and change'em every gig, so screw Elixir and £12 a set
BruDeV
Posted 2003-10-02 9:37 PM (#203570 - in reply to #203565)

One thing I've noticed with coated strings is that the coating is non-conductive. So you tend to have more hum (on an electric) when you're only touching the wound strings.
Nils
Posted 2003-10-02 11:59 PM (#203571 - in reply to #203565)

Paul M. convinced me to try Elixirs last month. I put a set of 12's on my 175 & immediately ordered some for my Elite 12 string. (Which is what I had planned to buy anyway, but they didn't have any.) When they came in at the music store they were lighter than I planned on using (10's), but I like 'em a lot on both guitars.
I can't say how long they'll last at this point. The ones on the 175 have been on there 3 weeks today & the ones on the Elite have been on a week today. I play both of them pretty much every day & so far they're fine. They seem to stay in tune well. As far as I'm concerned, even if they only last twice as long, the extra six or seven bucks a set is worth it to me. I love my 12 string, but changing strings on a 12 string is a pain in the ass. Come to think of it, changing strings is a pain in the ass, period. I don't like doing it any more often than I have to & I'm more than willing to pay the price to only have to do it half as often. (Come to think of it, that's the same reason I buy nothing but TOYO tires :) ) Money well spent, imo.
I'm not a working musician & I tend to be fussy careful not to scratch anything when doing this necessary drudgery. I put a small scratch in the finish of the headstock on a brand new guitar once with the errant tag end of a string the very first time I changed strings on it. It's pretty well polished away now, but I'm still pissed at myself for it.

/\/\/
Bailey
Posted 2003-10-03 1:29 AM (#203572 - in reply to #203565)

Nils

Everything you say is fine, but lighten up on scratches etc., guitars are not furniture, if a scratch shows up here or there, that is what happens with musicians. I will again use the example of Willie's guitar (I've worn out this example, but my brain is dead).

Bailey
Beal
Posted 2003-10-03 8:34 AM (#203573 - in reply to #203565)

I put a set of elixers on my Weissenborn and there is alot less slide noise, a big plus.
iconocoustica
Posted 2003-10-03 8:46 AM (#203574 - in reply to #203565)

I use Elixir polys and don't have any problem with them sliding as they stay in tune pretty well. To me, one big advantage of Elixirs is they give a very consistent tone over a several week period. I am recording for a CD right now and that consistency has become very important, as it will take a couple of weeks to get the recording done. I don't to worry about the strings changing tone every couple of days like my ole Daddario EJ17's did. Makes my life a lot easier. That alone is worth the price of admission. BTW, I used to change the Daddarios every week, and I can go 3-4 weeks with the Elixirs.

Franklin
an4340
Posted 2003-10-03 9:08 AM (#203575 - in reply to #203565)

The hype on the coated exp's is correct. At least for me. They last three times longer than regular phospher bronze. They do take about twice as long to stretch and settle in. (About 3 hours of playing versus 1.5 hours of playing) Here's the rub. A set of exps costs from 12 to 15 dollars. A set of three phosper bronze costs 10 to 15. So you gotta do the math to see if it's worth your while.
cliff
Posted 2003-10-03 10:00 AM (#203576 - in reply to #203565)

If I could get a set of strings to last through just one gig, I'd be happy!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)