The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Another scam story

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

Mr. Ovation
Posted 2003-10-02 7:30 PM (#203544)
Subject: Another scam story

Hi,
I've been using eBay for a few years, with little or no trouble, but it's mostly because I trust nobody, and follow the rules to a fault. I think a couple of times, now that I have read articles on how they do it, I have been a target, but alas, if they aren't following the rules, there must be a reason.

This is a new article, just as a reminder.

The Scam
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-10-02 7:43 PM (#203545 - in reply to #203544)
Subject: Re: Another scam story

Miles, this is little more than tabloid sensationalism. You said it yourself - follow the rules.

Taken from your post

"And of course, deals that appear to be too good to be true almost always are just that. Sean Bryant, one potential victim based in the Kent, U.K., said he was suspicious from the start"

Duh!!!
Mark1960
Posted 2003-10-04 12:39 AM (#203546 - in reply to #203544)

I got an email today that was supposed to be from ebay saying my account had been frozen until my records could be verified. The link took you to an offical looking page asking for all of the usual registration info but it just seemed too fishy to me...it even asked for my VISA PIN number! I went to the ebay registration discussion forum to check it out and it confirmed my gut feeling...it was a scam. Some had fallen for it and given their info. You would think ebay would be sending warnings to new users but I think they are afraid of hurting consumer confidence in the system.

Mark
Bailey
Posted 2003-10-04 2:05 AM (#203547 - in reply to #203544)

Sic Semper Scammongerous!!
DPM
Posted 2003-10-04 10:17 AM (#203548 - in reply to #203544)

Same thing happens with email. I’ve received several emails telling me my account on my server is suspended and they need my credit card number to reinstate it. I forwarded the message to my server’s customer service and asked if it was real. They responded never to provide credit card info to this kind of email.
TheEliteist
Posted 2003-10-04 10:25 AM (#203549 - in reply to #203544)

I've had the same thing happen to me, and I respond like DPM...
Before I bid, I not only read the feed back of the seller, I also read what the seller has to say about it's customers...
I do not bid on one fellow (company) in particular, because he gives no feed back, unless it's negative... The happy customer does not even get a "Thank You"...

Dale
Bradley
Posted 2003-10-04 6:07 PM (#203550 - in reply to #203544)

I got the same scam today, but it was for Paypal. They wanted me to enter my credit card number, pin number, driver licence #, etc.

Their web page looks like Paypals. Like EBay, for some reason, Paypal doesn't notify their users about these scams. I even emailed them about it last time I got one of these, but the never even bothered to answer. I guess they don't care if crooks use their identities to steal.

Bradley
moody, p.i.
Posted 2003-10-04 6:08 PM (#203551 - in reply to #203544)

I get the ebay ones all the time. What a pain.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2003-10-05 12:05 AM (#203552 - in reply to #203544)

Actually PayPal is pretty tight. They watch closely too. I had a high-dollar transaction happen after two years of never anything over a few hundred dollars. They sent me an email that is similar (which is probably where the scammers got the idea) but it required me to call them, and then fax some information. Initially I was annoyed, but it didn't interupt buisness, and it was nice to know that they were on the lookout for money laundering operations and anything that looked suspicious. I do not envy operations as large as eBay and PayPal. They are stiff competition for credit card services places, and constant targets of hackers and scam artists. On top of all that, a large percentage of the user base is not as educated and as "net savvy" as they should be for doing buisness online. Frankly I'm surprised there havn't been more problems.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)