The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
my guitar turns 90 degrees

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

Douglas Myles
Posted 2003-10-03 3:26 PM (#203492)
Subject: my guitar turns 90 degrees

after about 20 years away from guitar playing, i got serious again last year and started practicing everyday (for what i don't know!). i've developed basal joint arthritis in my left thumb (right handed) and remembered how easy ovations were to play. i used to have a couple.

well i shopped around and found what i wanted on ebay. a nice ultra deluxe 1312D, under $200. perfect for me right now.

anyway, i love the sound, it's easy on my thumb and i have no regrets BUT the dang thing flips on me - or wants to anyway.

playing sitting (no strap) or playing standing (strap) the same thing occurs. it starts to slide until the sound board is practically facing the ceiling! i don't recall having this problem with the round backs i used to own (way back when).

did i just forget? have any of you encountered this problem? what did you do to fix it? no - i don't have a beer gut, either!

hey, i'm new to this board, but was a lurker when deciding whether to shop for ovation or not; it was very helpful reading about ovations here.

thanks DM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
DPM
Posted 2003-10-03 3:35 PM (#203493 - in reply to #203492)
Subject: Re: my guitar turns 90 degrees

My Balladeer moves while standing but not while sitting. I've gotten accustomed to it while playing so I don’t have quite the same problem. I did read in The History of Ovation Guitars that they use to put a rubber pad on the back of the original bowls to keep them from sliding. You may want to give this a try.
Standingovation
Posted 2003-10-03 3:40 PM (#203494 - in reply to #203492)

Try using a piece of that rubber mesh stuff they sell in home centers for lining your tool box or shelving with. It works great. Dave
Paul Wag
Posted 2003-10-03 4:12 PM (#203495 - in reply to #203492)

Almost everyone that tries out my Legend remarks about the "sliding off" thing. I'm mot sure what I do to keep it from sliding. It just was something I learned to do as far as holding the guitar. I play standing up and sitting down and don't have the problem.

Maybe it has to do with mine being a shallow body, which works well with my middle roundedness body (read beer gut!).

Welcome to the board, let us know what works.....

:cool:
Slipkid
Posted 2003-10-04 7:45 AM (#203496 - in reply to #203492)

The rubber pad on by Balladeer wore off. I replaced it with a small patch of grip-tape the the kids use on skateboards.
Beal
Posted 2003-10-04 8:16 AM (#203497 - in reply to #203492)

Service has some non skids in stock so you could call them. Or you could try the home depot/lowes route. A funny thing does happen and that's when you get a little used to the guitar and really get into playing it, it seems to stop sliding so much.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-10-04 11:34 AM (#203498 - in reply to #203492)

If you tilt the guitar in order to see the fingerboard it will have a tendency to slip. If you keep the top at right angles to the floor it doesn't want to slip.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)