The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Custom Legend

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

willard
Posted 2003-10-05 5:56 AM (#203445)
Subject: Custom Legend

Anybody have any input on Custom Legend 12 strings from the early '80's. Was the design OK, ect.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-10-05 6:05 AM (#203446 - in reply to #203445)
Subject: Re: Custom Legend

Bill, they went to the 14-fret solid-headstock, K-bar version around 82/83, prior to that they were 12-fret slotheads, which I personally prefer, even though string-changing is a chore. Both are superb instruments. The only potential issue for some players may be the basic vol/tone electronics in guitars from that era.
willard
Posted 2003-10-05 7:09 AM (#203447 - in reply to #203445)

Thanks Paul. There's a nice one on the block right now. Just can't decide if I should take the plunge or not.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-10-05 7:59 AM (#203448 - in reply to #203445)

Let's take a vote on it. All in favour of Bill buying a new 12-string say "Aye"

AYE!!!!!!!!!!
moody, p.i.
Posted 2003-10-05 8:35 AM (#203449 - in reply to #203445)

Aye!!!

Bill: I was convinced that buying an earlier slotheaded Ovation 12 string was to buy a guitar with all treble and no bass. When I bought a 12 string, I bought a 1993 Adamas 12 (Big Blue). Boy was I superior. And wrong.

A very good friend gave me a 1969 Glen Campbell 12 string. My first thought was to put heavier strings on it and keep it tuned to C. I haven't been able to do that as I love playing it in concert pitch. It has plenty of bass (with clean strings on it), feels wonderful, and sounds wonderful.

Buy the 12. You'll be a happy camper.
Gene B
Posted 2003-10-05 8:59 AM (#203450 - in reply to #203445)

[QUOTEBill: I was convinced that buying an earlier slotheaded Ovation 12 string was to buy a guitar with all treble and no bass.]

That's a pretty good description of my '82 slothead 12. The best description I've heard, and to my ears is accurate, is 'it sounds like a harpsichord!'. Which is what attracted me to it in the first place. You're take on it may be different but I *love* the jingle-jangle it produces.
Tony Calman
Posted 2003-10-05 9:48 AM (#203451 - in reply to #203445)

Bill,

If you are referring to the one that closes 10/7 and ends with ...1385.

Be prepared to bid high as I will be buying it (unless it goes balistic.)

They are great guitars. I bought one new back in 1982, had to sell it about ten years later.

Compared to newer CL 12's - poor electronics but deep bowl acoustic is outstanding.

They do come on in either natural or dark sunburst about every three or four months.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2003-10-05 9:52 AM (#203452 - in reply to #203445)

Ah, it's not a slothead. These are very beautiful guitars. I've got a good friend who has one of these in black. Great sounding guitar. Which ever one of you buys it, you'll be happy.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-10-05 10:59 AM (#203453 - in reply to #203445)

These guitars turn up way to often to get into a bidding war over. Here's another with later electronics ending soon

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2561046875&category=47064
Standingovation
Posted 2003-10-05 11:10 AM (#203454 - in reply to #203445)

I agree with Paul T, the later natural finish one is in much better condition and has newer electronics. Just my opinion, but I'd be inclined to wait for a 12 fret one. They are quite a bit more rare, but play, sound and look superior to the 14 fretters. Electronics should not sway your opinion, that's easy to upgrade. Dave
Tony Calman
Posted 2003-10-05 12:08 PM (#203455 - in reply to #203445)

My #6759 [black] has electronics that are so much better than what was available in 1981-1982.

Again, used to have the dark sunburst CL 12string (non electric)and I have two sunburst 1619 6-strings [will eventually sell one of them but couldn't resist at the time.]

Basically, I look at the older electronics as an amplified accoustic [I know, that's what they are] BUT the #6759 mid-bowl is a great accoustic and a great electric...and I will be in the market for a Hurricane. Since I no longer "perform" and I have the #6759, don't really care if the next Ovation 12 was acoustic only. Heck, had to be careful with the acoustic CL12 - blew out everything around it anyway. Would go with newer electronics if you plan to record. Assume you could upgrade electronics if you want an extra hole in the bowl or use a center hole p/u but you can get a newer one for $600-900. Bought the impecable #6759 for $650 a couple of months ago [had been primary for Elton John's 2000 tour.] Would have paid $800 for it but that's the beauty of eBay. A guitar store in San Diego had one for sale for $1,250 without the OHSC.

Got the Typhoon bass coming tomorrow [from Miles -great seller, enjoyed working with him]

It's just me I guess but from the time I saw the dark sunburst CL12 in Marty's Guitar Shop [Portland, OR] I was at first repelled [first impression - almost gaudy, needed sombrero with silver dripping from brim to play, such a radical transition from the Martin 12 that I had.]

However, I was haunted by the playability, the sound, and the beauty - went back three days in a row to stare and play. Marty had just returned from NAMM with it - he "gave" it to me for $650 in 1981 or 1982. I am sure he has passed onto the great guitar heaven in the sky - he and his wife were wonderful. He also "gave" me a Martin D28K2 [brought up from NAMM for $620 in 1982.] This guitar store and two individuals who loved music spoiled me - I have never found another store or owners to match it since. Yes, later bought autoharp, flute for my daughter, and banjo from him. And, referred a lot of business.

Digressing - I go into a guitar store like GC and I am blown away by their inventory of everything from keyboards to guitars but Marty and his wife felt like family.

By the way, we all know the problems that Ovation has had [checking, cracks, etc.] but my 1970 D18 Martin 12-string had a major crack in top, stripped tuning gears, etc. Sent back [under "5yr" warrenty] the D18 to Martin - they sealed the crack [refused to put a new top on it] and replaced one side of the tuners, not both. Unfortunately, the replaced tuners didn't completely match the other original. Yes, I was an unhappy camper. Decided not to buy a Martin 12-string again and sold the D18. With a little care, I have never had a problem with an Ovation!

The newer CL's look great in black but would probably have bought the dark sunburst even if I had to buy a new one...still wish Ovation had kept the dark sunburst as a CL finish and had continued the carved bridge. Could never understand dropping the carved bridge. With lazer carving, even a Hallmark pen can have an intrecate carving on a wood encased pen - what, add another $25 to the price? One of my older CL's hanging next to the #6759 - the older bridge makes such a difference.

Months ago, I wrote Ovation Customer Service whether they were going to come back with dark sunburst and the carved bridge - no response, not even that one could be customized. Now, on OFC, I understand that for the $'s, anything is possible.
willard
Posted 2003-10-05 12:46 PM (#203456 - in reply to #203445)

Thank you all for your replies. The last time we started to discuss bidding and prices on specific guitars on Ebay, we got ourselves into trouble so I won't comment on this one again. Thanks for your input.
richardd
Posted 2003-10-05 3:40 PM (#203457 - in reply to #203445)

Tony,

Ovation will "customize" a old style CL with the carved bridge etc.

I got an old style Adamas last year, took about five months.

Old style Ovations are still avaliable "as new" if your prepared to order and wait.
Tony Calman
Posted 2003-10-05 4:30 PM (#203458 - in reply to #203445)

I know that now...wasn't on OFC at the time. Now that I have the #6759-5 in like-new, fallen in love with it also.

Never expected that a guitar company would work with a non-star. Nice to see. If customer service had said "you want, we can do" back then (Jan or Feb,) I would have bought a new one.

Will go to Ovation if I ever have to replace (through our authorized Ovation Dealer Al - see how easily I worked in the plug?)

And, with a carved bridge.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-10-05 7:34 PM (#203459 - in reply to #203445)

There is so much good, affordable outboard processing available these days that the type of electronics in an Ovation is a non-issue. If you find a nice older Ovation with a vol or vol/tone pre, buy it and use an external EQ. The older guitars can be had so cheap the extra expense wont break the bank.
Tony Calman
Posted 2003-10-05 9:33 PM (#203460 - in reply to #203445)

re: external EQ

Paul,

I'm showing my ignorance but [not the first time - only way to learn]...are you talking about a mixing board for recording?

I'm not at that level yet, I'm still at "plug and play" - still trying to avoid plugging into the foot switch v. input.

However, I'm working on it. Any "for dummies 101" you can recommend?

Thanks
Standingovation
Posted 2003-10-05 10:25 PM (#203461 - in reply to #203445)

I think what Paul is referring to is a wide range of outboard gear from a simple battery operated pre-amp (like a Fishman or something similar), a floor or rack mounted acoustic effects module (I use a Behringer) or a mixing board with built in digital effects. You can go as simple as you like or skys-the-limit.

A good example is an old 1627 GC 6 string that I got for under $300. The electronics (stacked vol/tone) were pretty noisey so I removed everything and just wired the pickup directly to the output jack. I got a Fishman preamp and a BOSS chromatic tuner and it's an awesome acoustic setup. I just have to keep the distance from pickup to pre-amp as short as possible. Bonus is that I never have to dig around inside the guitar to change the battery.

Dave
Tony Calman
Posted 2003-10-05 11:09 PM (#203462 - in reply to #203445)

ok, understand...you mentioned tuner - assume you have inline but acts as tuner only?
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-10-06 5:25 AM (#203463 - in reply to #203445)

Dave nailed it. There's the Fishman range, The LR Baggs Para-acoustic DI, the Carl Martin Parametric EQ, Highlander Dual Parametric, Raven Labs gear, The Boss AD3, 5 or 8, the Yamaha AG Stomp & the new Duncan/Turner stuff to name just a few. Then there's the rackmount pro stuff, the list goes on.

Mr Moody has a couple of Ovations with older electronics and bought a Fishman pre that he wasn't happy with, so I recommended he look on Ebay for a Boss PQ4 parametric EQ (now discontinued) These can be had for around $100 or less. Maybe Paul can comment on how that's working out.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2003-10-06 8:28 AM (#203464 - in reply to #203445)

Happy to. The problem I had with the Fishman EQ was that it's preamp was fighting the one in the guitar, so I wasn't able to dial in a warm sound for my old Country Artist. On Temp's recommendation (hey, when the man talks music and any related subject, I listen) I bought a Boss PQ 4 Parametric Equializer. This doesn't have a preamp in it. I still don't know everything about using it, but right off the bat, when plugging into a P.A. system, I was able to get a better, fuller sound out of my C.A. than I had before. And much more control out of it.

I bought it for about $100 on ebay. I haven't had a chance to use it with my 1537 Elite, but I'm looking for similar results. Beats spending $250 to put in a newer preamp on the C.A. And I would never mess with the preamp on the Elite as it's a two knobber.
Standingovation
Posted 2003-10-06 10:11 AM (#203465 - in reply to #203445)

Paul M. The problem you described is exactly what I found, so that's way I bypassed the onboard pre and just wired the pickup to the output jack. Dave
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-10-06 11:16 AM (#203466 - in reply to #203445)

The Fishman external pres are designed to accept a direct non-preamped output from a piezo pickup, and their input impedance, input gain structure & EQ works fine like that. They work OK with the buffered signal from a preamp such as an Ovation, but it's not ideal. Some of the newer Fishman pre's have an input gain trim-pot which helps, but generally putting a pre-amp after a pre-amp isn't a great idea.

The Boss PQ4 and the similar Boss Bass parametric are ideal external Eq's for Ovations with older electronics. There's a couple on ebay now

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2562876632&category=22669

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2562558601&category=22669
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)