The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
CS157 info Please Help!

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

AdamO
Posted 2003-10-05 11:15 AM (#203432)
Subject: CS157 info Please Help!

Sorry if I am breaking any conventions, but I am a bit distraught!

My girlfriend just knocked over my guitar and stepped on the neck - the whole things trashed.

I have stayed calm and rational - but its way beyond repair. I have insurance which will replace new for old - but here's my problem:

Its a CS-157 and says Celebrity by Ovation inside - made in Korea. My policy is new for old - but I need to know what is the equivalent model now as, the CC range of guitars seems way cheaper. I paid UK£540 for mine - when it was new - but I don't know if it counts as a deluxe or what. The new CC range here is about UK£250 -300.

I just need to be able to explain to my insurance company that the CS157 is a special model or whatever (if it is).

Sorry if I am babbling, but this guitar has been a good friend for 5 or 6 years now - and I'm not the happiest bunny in the world.

Just to clarify - I am not looking for a second value for the guitar - just an idea of what the model is exactly - and what the current equivalebt would be.

Yours in hope,

Adam Ososki
Reading,
UK
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Standingovation
Posted 2003-10-05 11:27 AM (#203433 - in reply to #203432)
Subject: Re: CS157 info Please Help!

After you get rid of the girlfriend, go get a price quote from something "similar" at you rlocal guitar shop. I assume you don't have the original reciept. Lesson learned - never leave your guitar out of it's case when a girlfriend is around. They get so damn jealous. Dave
Nils
Posted 2003-10-05 5:37 PM (#203434 - in reply to #203432)

I know a guy that would find a picture of an American Ovation on the Ovation web site that looked as close to yours as you can find, preferably with the MSRP on the page, print it out & hand it to the insurance adjuster when you show them your guitar. Actually I would really be surprised if they even send anyone out to look. They might do things different there, I dunno.
Now *I* would never do such a thing, but....

/\/\/

P.S. Be sure to hide your girlfriends body well, just in case they do come over.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2003-10-05 6:15 PM (#203435 - in reply to #203432)

If your girlfriend's cute, send her over here and I'll see if there's anything with her worth salvaging. Just as a curtesy.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2003-10-05 6:16 PM (#203436 - in reply to #203432)

Reminds me of the t-shirt..

"My wife made me choose between her and this bike.... I sure miss her."
Standingovation
Posted 2003-10-05 6:24 PM (#203437 - in reply to #203432)

Originally posted by moody, p.i.:
If your girlfriend's cute, send her over here and I'll see if there's anything with her worth salvaging. Just as a curtesy.

If she isn't cute, send her to Paul anyway ... You never know.

Dave
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-10-05 6:41 PM (#203438 - in reply to #203432)

Adam, check the UK distributors website for current UK prices and specs.

http://www.jhs.co.uk/ovation.html

The UK list on a Celeb deluxe is around £550, the Pinnacles, which have solid tops are a little more. Street prices on both these models will be 15-20% less than list.

I would suggest you buy a used USA model but a lot of insurance companies make you nominate a supplier which they pay direct rather than hand you a cheque. Also most stores will not discount if they're being paid by an insurance company
Bailey
Posted 2003-10-06 1:22 AM (#203439 - in reply to #203432)

Paul T continues to amaze, best advice I have seen, and coming from a musician. Is this guy selling insurance on the side?
AdamO
Posted 2003-10-06 12:30 PM (#203440 - in reply to #203432)

Thanks for all the suggestions peeps!

The girlfriend is recovering nicely in Intensive care (more than can be said of the guitar) and by the way I have the motorbike too - (XJR1300) which luckily she loves to be a passenger on, (must be the vibrations).

Anyway - took the advice about JHS and here's what they said!!

"Hello Adam

Thank you for your enquiry - sorry to hear about the fate of your
Ovation Celebrity.

Around 1999, a Celebrity CC-157 cost £489. Your CS-157 indicates that
it was indeed a deluxe version with a solid spruce top, which would
have retailed at the £540 you mention.

Due to ever more competitive market pricing, the retail of these hasn't
gone up as such. The present equivalent would be a Korean-made Ovation
Celebrity Deluxe, a well made, high spec guitar with a CP-247 (mid
depth bowl) or CC-257 (shallow depth bowl) number, available in a
number of superb finishes, over quilt maple tops.

These guitars have an RRP of £549.00

I hope this information is of use.

Regards

Gibson Keddie"

What a great name for a guitar bod!! Amazingly helpful as you can see. Only thing I wonder is how special is a solid spruce top - and would the current maple ones sound as nice?

Anyone know what the current non -us made celeb deluxe sounds/plays like?

(Yes I will get myself down the music shops at the weekend to have a gander - but just wondered what advice you lot would give that didn't involve strumming my girlfriend!)

Cheers

Ads
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-10-06 12:42 PM (#203441 - in reply to #203432)

Adam, maple is pretty but as a hardwood is not considered a suitable top material for an acoustic guitar, however were talking laminated here, so maple will be the outer veneer only. The laminated top guitars sound fine but solid tops are considered by most people to be superior.

Gibson is a good guy, he used to be editor of "Guitarist" magazine & now takes care of JHS's promo mag "Gear"
AdamO
Posted 2003-10-06 12:57 PM (#203442 - in reply to #203432)

Thanks Paul - blimey do you know everybody?

Sorry to keep banging on - but do you think I should be entitled to ask the insurance company to replace it with a solid top version then? Only problem is to get a solid top shallow back - cheapest is a balladeer special at about a grand! I might ask Gibson if he could send me a nice email for the insurance people saying that a balladeer is the nearest match?

If I can find an ovation dealer near reading - best thing might be to take it down there and ask them to quote on an equivalent replacement model.

I feel like I pay a load for insurance, and why should I end up with something that isn't as good as what I had before.

Anyway - thanks again - you guys are stars!

Ads
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-10-06 1:08 PM (#203443 - in reply to #203432)

Adam, JHS have their own outlet in London, Ivor Mairants on Rathbone place, a couple of blocks from the Virgin Megastore on Oxford street. Talk to Mak the boss man there, he might be able to help

http://www.ivormairants.co.uk/
AdamO
Posted 2003-11-01 6:05 AM (#203444 - in reply to #203432)

I just wanted to say a big THANK YOU everyone who helped out with suggestions - especially Paul!!

I have just received a sparkly new Special Elite S868-4 from my insurance company. I had to pay £95 as a "betterment" to get the Elite rather than the Balladeer - and £60 excess but hey! Its still a fantastic guitar, and rather than spending hours writing this - I'm off to play it.

Thanks again everyone!

Adam
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)